Jack Bogle on CNBC 9.30.11

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Saggy

Jack Bogle on CNBC 9.30.11

Post by Saggy »

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000048691

I just love the reporter looking for him to give an easy solution for people that need a quick fix/short term solution to what needs long term planning. He is one calm and cool man. What a breath of fresh air amongst the short term fear mongers.
zotty

Post by zotty »

CNBC's investment horizon is the next 5 minutes.

What, Jack, do you think the market will do this afternoon, what about tomorrow?

I wonder if they are really that stupid or whether they are just doing it because their advertisers depend on it.
am

Post by am »

CNBC is geared towards the average investor since they want ratings. The average investor is not a boglehead by any stretch of the imagination.
TrustNoOne

Post by TrustNoOne »

Seems to me they tend to bring him on when they need a calming voice. He seems to be asked to appear when the market has had a rough ride. I always think the question they (not just CNBC but all the media) ask him show they have no real idea of what his philosophy is. Its like asking a concert pianist "Got any suggestions for someone who wants to start a rock band?"
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

TrustNoOne wrote:Seems to me they tend to bring him on when they need a calming voice. He seems to be asked to appear when the market has had a rough ride. I always think the question they (not just CNBC but all the media) ask him show they have no real idea of what his philosophy is. Its like asking a concert pianist "Got any suggestions for someone who wants to start a rock band?"

I was thinking of him as the voice of reason more so than the voice of calming. Maybe a little of both. Jack's a realist, what he tells people applies to everyone who listens to his points. He's not on TV selling investments.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Considering his age and his health challenges he really packs an amazing punch. Comes off very very strong (in a positive way) on the air.
Beagler

Post by Beagler »

Mr. Bogle is a tonic for rough financial waters, a bromide for investors needing a calm voice.
“The only place where success come before work is in the dictionary.” Abraham Lincoln. This post does not provide advice for specific individual situations and should not be construed as doing so.
MekongTrader

Post by MekongTrader »

Thanks for posting this video.

Always good to hear from the man himself.

Investing boglehead-style in itself is like watching paint dry. Really, what Mr. Bogle said here has been said many many times before, by himself. Actually they could just run a tape of what he said the previous time because it's the same over and over: Assett allocation bonds in years, ignore the noise and stay the course. Done.

Anyway, catching a glimpse of him is great motivation from me every time I see him.

MT