U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
floydtime

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by floydtime »

Beagler wrote:
Trader007 wrote:Stock indices should continue down for several months now. Looks like end of February-end of March. Will be more specific later.
Here's what happened to the S&P 500 from the date of your prediction to the end of March 2012:
That's gotta be embarrassing. Can't wait for the "more specific later" part. :oops:
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
Topic Author
Lbill

Post by Lbill »

I may be little right now, but I'm still growing... :) :) :)

"Life can only be understood backward; but it must be lived forward." ~ Søren Kierkegaard | | "You can't connect the dots looking forward; but only by looking backwards." ~ Steve Jobs
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

nisiprius wrote:Image
Furthermore, from August 2011 through today, the plot of the Dow obviously resembles the clarinet trill and upward glissando that open Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I hardly need tell you what comes next.

Furthermore, the Dow closed at 12,715.93. Add the digits and you get 28. The divisors of 28 are 1, 2, 4, 7, and 14. Add those divisors and you get... 28! How often does that happen?
Couldn't agree more. If you look carefully, you may also notice the dreaded "Cracked-Open Head with Lopsided Shoulders" formation which invariably indicates imminent market fluctuation.

Any trader worth his salt should also not miss the Empire State Building formation sitting right in the middle. It's arrival was foretold at the very dawn of Capitalism by no less than Eve Smith herself who declared that the exchange would eventually become self-aware and start communicating with us. Clearly the market is telling us that he/she realizes that he/she is in New York.

Bonus points for those who can also see the famous Sign of the Wiggle. It's sitting there plain as day just waiting to discovered and used in trading strategies by those who are sufficiently perspicacious.

Anakin
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

dave66 wrote:I would be interested to know how many people who believe a few days of market activity, indicate the overall trend of the market... also believe a few hot summer days indicate global warming is guaranteed to doom us all.
Why not?

My aunt (age 95) believes that opening an umbrella indoors portends bad news. As does spilling salt, or placing a pair of shoes on the bed. Given her age, it is clear she has been very careful about such things.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

nisiprius wrote:Furthermore, from August 2011 through today, the plot of the Dow obviously resembles the clarinet trill and upward glissando that open Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I hardly need tell you what comes next.
A measure of stability.
Greg, retired 8/10.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

umfundi wrote:My aunt (age 95) believes that opening an umbrella indoors portends bad news. As does spilling salt, or placing a pair of shoes on the bed.
Shoes on the bed? Oh, please, tell us more. I didn't know that.

I do remember that when we got married, one of the things we really needed was a good set of kitchen knives, but were told that we couldn't ask for them because it's bad luck ever to give a knife as a gift.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

umfundi wrote: My aunt (age 95) believes that opening an umbrella indoors portends bad news. As does spilling salt, or placing a pair of shoes on the bed.
nisiprius wrote: Shoes on the bed? Oh, please, tell us more. I didn't know that.
Uh-oh! Never heard of that either. I habitually put my shoes on the bed getting dressed every morning. Sorry for all the market trouble I must be causing but I doubt I have the will power to change such an ingrained habit. Could you ask your aunt if throwing them over my shoulder onto the bed would work like it does with salt?

On a positive note, I put in a grandkid's 529 contribution this morning because yesterday was a RBD. That usually makes the market bounce right back since it takes at least 2 business days to execute.
JW
Last edited by JW-Retired on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired at Last
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I'm glad this thread got resurrected rather than a new one starting.

Anybody want to guess at where we end up today?
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

Jay69 wrote:Anybody want to guess at where we end up today?
Wednesday. :beer
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Ah, this thread is an old friend.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

nisiprius wrote:
umfundi wrote:My aunt (age 95) believes that opening an umbrella indoors portends bad news. As does spilling salt, or placing a pair of shoes on the bed.
Shoes on the bed? Oh, please, tell us more. I didn't know that.

I do remember that when we got married, one of the things we really needed was a good set of kitchen knives, but were told that we couldn't ask for them because it's bad luck ever to give a knife as a gift.
Neil Simon, 'Brighton Beach Memoirs'

Mother: 'It's bad luck in a Jewish house to have shoes on the bed'

Son (Neil Simon): 'It's not a Jewish house, it was built by Italians'
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Is our friend from last fall, Mr. Volatility back? I keep waiting for Livesoft to have one of his RBD's.

I really just wanted to revive this thread. ;)
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

ofcmetz wrote:Is our friend from last fall, Mr. Volatility back? I keep waiting for Livesoft to have one of his RBD's.

I really just wanted to revive this thread. ;)
It's waiting for May, just another 8 days to go. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Not a great start to the week!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

These selloffs are more fun when I have some cash to invest, but I haven't recovered yet from federal tax time.
Greg, retired 8/10.
Topic Author
Lbill

Post by Lbill »

Boy, it doesn't take much to stir up this thread these days. Must be a whole bunch of nervousness out there about whether the equity risk premium will be coming to the party. What's a party without the ERP? :sharebeer
"Life can only be understood backward; but it must be lived forward." ~ Søren Kierkegaard | | "You can't connect the dots looking forward; but only by looking backwards." ~ Steve Jobs
zotty

Post by zotty »

LOL. sigh. it's just a PBD (Pretty bad day)

Don't gamble. Wait for a really bad day, if it doesn't happen, don't wait for it.
Nadie Sabe Nada
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

I guess today only counts as another Pretty Bad Day, but they've been stringing them together a lot lately.
No excuses, no regrets.
oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre »

Do I hear the sound of cannon or just have auditory hallucination?
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.
Tuxx

Post by Tuxx »

floydtime wrote:
Jay69 wrote:Anybody want to guess at where we end up today?
Wednesday. :beer
Wednesday in January 1999 is where we are back too. :shock:

Adjusted for inflation.....don't even ask. :shock:
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Bump.

US stocks -2%
foreign stocks -4%
commodities -2.5%

We've still got another 1.5 hours to go.
No excuses, no regrets.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I would hardly call today's action a freefall. Call me if the Dow drops 1000 points.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Are we even into RBD territory yet?
Attempted new signature...
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

The Wizard wrote:Are we even into RBD territory yet?
We are (VWO, VXF, VEU).
But all of them are still positive vs. 5 days ago. I'll wait.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

hsv_climber wrote:
We are (VWO, VXF, VEU).
But all of them are still positive vs. 5 days ago. I'll wait.
Exactly... if a market goes up 3 days in a row, and then drops 1 day (but still is net positive over those 4 days), can you really proclaim "Dooooooooom!"?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Today was an RBD for VWO unless perhaps it went ex-Dividend like EEM did today. Same for DGS, but surprisingly not for EWX.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Someday, this thread will be right. Perhaps Goldman has lit the bears fire........

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Firewood42

Post by Firewood42 »

Looks like another good day for GNMA funds. :happy
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

xerty24 wrote: foreign stocks -4%
Where do you get that figure? I'm trying to decide whether to buy more of TRP New Asia (China/India/Korea/...) or Latin America funds, while they're priced low. I need to estimate a day in advance when to buy, since they're mutual funds. (I know about the major country indexes, but it would be useful also to have a current estimate for "foreign stocks".)
Greg, retired 8/10.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Random Musings wrote:Someday, this thread will be right. Perhaps Goldman has lit the bears fire........
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."--the Red Queen, in Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.

$10,000 invested in Vanguard 500 Index a year ago is worth $10,680.68 yesterday. With today's 2.2 drop, probably about $10,400 today.

For the last year, it has taken the stock market all the "free falling" it can do to stay in the same place.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

nisiprius wrote:
Random Musings wrote:Someday, this thread will be right. Perhaps Goldman has lit the bears fire........
"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."--the Red Queen, in Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.

$10,000 invested in Vanguard 500 Index a year ago is worth $10,680.68 yesterday. With today's 2.2 drop, probably about $10,400 today.

For the last year, it has taken the stock market all the "free falling" it can do to stay in the same place.
Yes, but what will the market do tomorrow?

Keith
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

GregLee wrote:
xerty24 wrote: foreign stocks -4%
Where do you get that figure? I'm trying to decide whether to buy more of TRP New Asia (China/India/Korea/...) or Latin America funds, while they're priced low. I need to estimate a day in advance when to buy, since they're mutual funds. (I know about the major country indexes, but it would be useful also to have a current estimate for "foreign stocks".)
There are plenty of ETFs, I just picked a rough average. Here are a number to get you started:

VGK (EU dev)
VPL (Asia dev)
EEM (Emerging)
FXI (China)
EPI (India)
RSX (Russia)
EWZ (Brazil)
EWY (Korea)
EWW (Mexico)

iShares as ones for just about any country you can imagine.
No excuses, no regrets.
Bongleur

Post by Bongleur »

Can we have a thread titled "Official Really Bad Day Alert?"
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

umfundi wrote:
nisiprius wrote:

Keith
It will fluctuate.
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

It will fluctuate.
Yes, but how?
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

umfundi wrote:
It will fluctuate.
Yes, but how?
Unpredictably.
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
Bongleur

Post by Bongleur »

Is that a firm prediction?
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.
phish_indexer

Post by phish_indexer »

livesoft wrote:
Today was an RBD for VWO unless perhaps it went ex-Dividend like EEM did today. Same for DGS, but surprisingly not for EWX.
I don't think VWO was one of Vanguard's ETFs throwing off a dividend this quarter. That said, I bought VWO in my Roth this morning... around 10 am while it was down around a point and not even close to RBD territory. The early bird does not always catch the worm.
Tuxx

Post by Tuxx »

The S&P 500 index was over 230 points higher - over a decade ago.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Bongleur wrote:Can we have a thread titled "Official Really Bad Day Alert?"
I think you have to subscribe to livesoft's newsletter for real time alerts :). Otherwise, he'll tell you a week later if/when the market has recovered thereby validating the premise... it's hard to tell the True RBDs from the fake ones, after all.
No excuses, no regrets.
lazyfabs

Post by lazyfabs »

umfundi wrote:
It will fluctuate.
Yes, but how?
up or down, either way who cares. tomorrow is friday and the weekend will be upon us.

salud :beer
"I think the best way to find happiness is to stop looking so hard." - Kermit the Frog
Tuxx

Post by Tuxx »

Looking at the action in Asian and Europe - figured I may as well bump this thread now.

FinanceFun

Post by FinanceFun »

Umm... VWO is down 38 BASIS POINTS, over the last 5-days. I am not scared. 8-)
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Tuxx wrote:Looking at the action in Asian and Europe - figured I may as well bump this thread now.
No, you're thinking of the "International stocks in freefall" thread. :)
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Well, I know what the SP500 will do, because Goldman just told me.

According to a CNN article it will "drop to 1,285, roughly 5% below its current levels".

And Goldman added "the S&P could pop or at least stay flat if the U.S. or Chinese economies start revving up or if European policy makers talk a big game about propping up the market."

Therefore, I am taking action today in my portfolio to prepare for the predicted drop, pop, or flattening of the SP500. 8-)

http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2012/06/21/go ... ?iid=HP_LN
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Tuxx wrote:The S&P 500 index was over 230 points higher - over a decade ago.
The S&P 500 index was 900 points lower 2 decades ago.

Standard & Poor's 500 Index History

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

nisiprius wrote:
umfundi wrote:
nisiprius wrote:

Keith
It will fluctuate.
I was a smartypants. I was wrong. :oops: It didn't fluctuate. :D
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Tuxx wrote:The S&P 500 index was over 230 points higher - over a decade ago.
(1) You're not including dividends
(2) I didn't save all my money in a jar from 1990-2000, then put all my money in the S&P 500 in 2000, and then walk away. The stock market has made me a ton of money over this "lost decade" and the decade before.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

livesoft wrote:
Is anybody else enjoying the market run-up today especially in VWO? :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
johnkidding

Post by johnkidding »

livesoft wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Is anybody else enjoying the market run-up today especially in VWO? :)
No. Most of my purchases are done on the first of the month. Seeing Run Ups a couple days before I buy makes me :-(