Forbes Column: Common Sense Investing in 10 Easy Lessons

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Forbes Column: Common Sense Investing in 10 Easy Lessons

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Everyone:

In this week's Forbes column, I turn the spotlight on one of the forum's wiki contributors, Rick Van Ness (aka stickman).

Rick produced an excellent 10-part series of short videos that help simplify some of the Bogleheads investment principles and philosophies.

Here's a link to the article: http://blogs.forbes.com/thebogleheadsvi ... y-lessons/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Stickman

Post by Stickman »

Mel,

It’s great that you do this column! My non-scientific poll of my friends reveals that 100% are aware of Forbes magazine, less than half are aware of Vanguard, and none are aware of John Bogle or the Boglehead community. (Your mileage may vary.)

Common sense investing is an idea worth spreading. Thank you for using your column to get these basic concepts out there. I think it is life-changing when people realize that they can take control of their finances, and that it is revealed as common sense when presented properly (as John Bogle so eloquently does).

This is an idea worth spreading. Today I’m thinking about all the young adults with iPads, Nooks, and Kindles and wondering about combining the speed of reading with the instruction depth of bite-size video. The idea of combining these in a video-enhanced ebook seems interesting. Anyway, that’s what I am thinking about today as a way to reach a new and younger audience. But I digress. I really just want to thank you again for your constant efforts to reach out with your books, columns, and the Boglehead community.

Rick
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Stickman wrote:Mel,

It’s great that you do this column! My non-scientific poll of my friends reveals that 100% are aware of Forbes magazine, less than half are aware of Vanguard, and none are aware of John Bogle or the Boglehead community. (Your mileage may vary.)

Common sense investing is an idea worth spreading. Thank you for using your column to get these basic concepts out there. I think it is life-changing when people realize that they can take control of their finances, and that it is revealed as common sense when presented properly (as John Bogle so eloquently does).

This is an idea worth spreading. Today I’m thinking about all the young adults with iPads, Nooks, and Kindles and wondering about combining the speed of reading with the instruction depth of bite-size video. The idea of combining these in a video-enhanced ebook seems interesting. Anyway, that’s what I am thinking about today as a way to reach a new and younger audience. But I digress. I really just want to thank you again for your constant efforts to reach out with your books, columns, and the Boglehead community.

Rick
Thank YOU for your contribution to the Bogleheads community (and beyond), Rick. Writing articles about things like this is a true joy, since there's so much "noise" out there that investors have to try to filter. Your videos help counteract that noise and provide solid unbiased and actionable information investors can use.

Thanks, again, Rick.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi