BH-8 Reunion notes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

BH-8 Reunion notes

Post by VictoriaF »

We completed the notes from the Bogleheads-8 (BH-8 ) reunion. They are posted here:

PDF: http://www.bylo.org/bogleheads/BH-8_Reu ... 091027.pdf
and
DOC: http://www.bylo.org/bogleheads/BH-8_Reu ... 091027.doc

Thank you very much to everybody who provided the content and to Bylo for hosting the notes.

Victoria
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Thanks Victoria:

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

Thanks Victoria for such a fine detailed record of the event. Just in case you do not know, we keep a permanent record of Boglehead convention materials on the wiki.

We try, of course, to place all relevant records of the meetings on the wiki. However, our small group of contributing editors are not likely to catch everything, so please do not hesitate to add anything we may have missed.

Please see Boglehead Convention Meetings and Local Chapters on the Bogleheads Wiki.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
RoccoPacco

Post by RoccoPacco »

Victoria -

Thank you very much for the meticulous and complete notes!
tower

Victoria Thanks

Post by tower »

Your placement of the figures in Yichong's and my paper next to where they are cited rather than at the end as I had them makes the paper much more readable. I will do that on the version I place on the Duke web site.
Ed
Taylor Larimore

A magnificant record of Boglehead 8

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Victoria:

Every Boglehead is indebted to you for your meticulous record of our educational agenda at Boglehead 8 in Fort Worth, Texas.

I am not surprised you posted at 1:09 in the morning. I can only imagine how many other nights you must have worked late.

You have enabled all Bogleheads, even those who could not attend, to benefit from that great event.

We are very grateful!
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Wow, a great job! Thanks.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Victoria, once again you've done an amazing job!

Thank you.

Ed
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It should be noted that Victoria did 99% of the work and the rest of us merely checked her work and did a bit of editing. However, she's way too modest to list her name as the sole author, so that's why you see all the other names of those of us who helped edit her notes listed as "authors".

Thanks for another super job, Victoria!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
lorneabramson

Excellent job

Post by lorneabramson »

Thank you for these notes!!
Jazzman

post subject

Post by Jazzman »

Simply fantastic! Thank you so very much for a job well done.
Jesse
BarbInSD

Thank you!

Post by BarbInSD »

Victoria,
Thank you so very much for your in-depth notes from BH8.
Even though I was not able to attend this year I feel like I was there because of your notes.
Best regards,
Barbara
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Thank you to everybody for reading the BH-8 notes and participating in this thread, but I would like to change the perspective a bit :)

The content for the report was provided by all listed authors. All of us extensively reviewed it to assure that it was free of critical errors. The latter part is probably more important than anything else.

Best wishes,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy »

VictoriaF, many thanks for the hard work in producing the excellent notes.

country boy
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thanks Victoria. Very helpful. VERY well done!
Kathleen Ryan

Thank you Victoria

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Thank You Victoria,

for your excellent notes once again. It was wonderful to see you again at Bogleheads 8.

The details in your in-depth writing is incredible. Your notes let those of us who attended remember the things you wrote about, and let those people who weren't able to attend, feel as if they had.

I so enjoyed reading (and remembering) what Mr. Bogle said to us during his phone conversation to us, and the humor in Dr. Bill's "Fireside Chat", and all the information Professor Ed provided for us, the q & a's, and everything else.

Thank you again so much Victoria.

With best wishes to you,
Kathleen
bobcat2

Excellent Advice from Bill Bernstein

Post by bobcat2 »

In reading thru Victoria's notes I came across this pearl of wisdom from Bill Bernstein's presentation.
Bill. When I come to these meetings, I meet all these people who read all books written by me, Rick Ferri, and Larry Swedroe. By all means, you do not need to read us all; you can stop at one. We are all saying the same thing, and after one book the learning curve is rather shallow.
I heartily concur with that sage advice. I have read several books from those authors and I would say that if you've read two of the investment books by these authors, say one Bernstein and one Swedroe, the marginal benefit of reading additional books by these authors saying the same thing is essentially zero. It's good to see that even one of the authors agrees with that common sense conclusion. These books serve as substitutes, not complements.

Excellent work Victoria :!:

Bob K
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Elaine

Amazing notes!

Post by Elaine »

Victoria,
You are the BEST note-taker ever! Thank you so much for your wonderful notes.
-Elaine
Sally

Post by Sally »

I had hoped and planned to come. In fact, I was the first to respond and sign up before my mamma had her first stroke. It was then that I became a full-time care-giver. And for that, I am thankful to be here and be able to make sure she is comfortable and as happy as possible...BUTTTT, I sure missed being able to attend my first boglehead convention again. It was something I was really looking forward to attending....maybe someday...but, then again so long as I don't attend, my husband, my mamma---, whomever is still with me....

God bless the bogleheads though! Thanks for making think that maybe I did, in fact, attend...@!!! LOL
gailcox

Thanks Victoria!

Post by gailcox »

Your notes are incredible. Thanks to everyone that helped edit. I seemed to be running around alot and wasn't able to hear Bill Bernstein's Fireside Chat, so this was wonderful to go back and read it. Thanks for doing all this work!
Gail