What to do with a gold crown?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jonesy

What to do with a gold crown?

Post by jonesy »

Hi All,
Recently my dentist returned a gold crown to me when I learned I needed further dental work and suggested it had value.
Any thoughts as to where I might be able to cash it in? Do dental labs buy and recycle gold?
I'd feel a bit strange walking into a jewelry store or coin shop...
Thanks.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

chaz

Post by chaz »

jonesy, Too bad the dentist couldn't reinsert the crown since gold does the best on your teeth. But there are ads in the newspaper and on TV of places that will pay for your unwanted gold.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Roverdog

Post by Roverdog »

If you had some decay or a fracture, then the old crown wouldn't fit. It sounds like your dentist is a good, ethical guy who determined that returning your crown was the right thing to do. :)

A typical crown has about 0.05 to 0.1 of an ounce of gold.
Based on gold at $750/oz, and being generous, it's worth about $75.

Subtract the "refining fee", the "processing fee", insurance, postage, and your time, and you're not going to get too much.

Disclosure: I have a dental degree, but I'm a research type and don't do restorative dentistry. :)

Bob
mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

Contact Garfield Refining at www.garfieldrefining.com. They will buy your precious metal crap based on assay, less a 5% processing charge. This is the best deal you will get.
Topic Author
jonesy

gold crown

Post by jonesy »

Thanks everyone.
When my dentist returned it to me he joked about it possibly being as valuable as any stock market investments I had; that left me wondering, so having a real idea of its worth is very helpful.

Yes, he and his staff are good people...I think I'll just leave the crown in its envelope and sincerely hope my assets don't really sink that low... :wink:
Topic Author
jonesy

Garfield

Post by jonesy »

And thanks for the link to Garfield. I'll bookmark it for future use.