Cheaper version of Total International Stock Index Admiral Shares (VTIAX)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
JDot

Cheaper version of Total International Stock Index Admiral Shares (VTIAX)

Post by JDot »

All,

I would like to start socking away some money in an international stock index. Ideally, VTIAX (right??). I already contribute a healthy amount to VTSAX, but I have no international holdings in taxable accounts. I don't have the $10k required for VTIAX in cash to spare. Is there one you could recommend with a $3k minimum? If so, can it later be converted to VTIAX shares? (I know there is a similar option to get to VTSAX if you don't have the $10k min)

I could wait until the end of the year when I'd likely get a $20k to to $30k bonus. Downsides to this is obviously waiting and there's a chance I could not receive any bonus.

Once I start contributing to an international fund, I'll probably contribute after tax 70% to VTSAX and 30% to whatever international fund.

Thanks!
mhc

Re: Cheaper version of Total International Stock Index Admiral Shares (VTIAX)

Post by mhc »

If you go to the Vanguard website and look up the admiral share version of TISM, you will see a link for the investor shares:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... IntExt=INT

All the information you need is there. Investor shares will automatically be converted to admiral shares once you hit $10k.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
JDot

Post by JDot »

mhc wrote:If you go to the Vanguard website and look up the admiral share version of TISM, you will see a link for the investor shares:

All the information you need is there. Investor shares will automatically be converted to admiral shares once you hit $10k.

Thanks- I just checked again. I don't know why but VGTSX (investor share version) didn't show up when I searched. I just checked again, and it still didn't show up. But I can get to it by looking up VTIAX and clicking on "investor shares". Maybe I'm searching wrong or their website needs updated.

Well looks like I found what I wanted regardless thanks to you!
runner9

Post by runner9 »

When I type VTIAX into the top right search box on vanguard.com it comes up no problem, leading to this page:

Topic Author
JDot

Post by JDot »

runner9 wrote:When I type VTIAX into the top right search box on vanguard.com it comes up no problem, leading to this page:

Yea- I kind find it like that. But when I searched for it by using what I'll call the "browse" or "filter" view, it's not showing up. I have "international" checked and 17 mutual funds come up. Maybe they expect you to be savvy enough to click on the admiral shares one and then click on the "investor" shares. If so, it's a little bit of a jump for newbies like me!

Not sure if it will let me link to it since I'm logged in but:

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... alMonthEnd
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

mhc wrote:Investor shares will automatically be converted to admiral shares once you hit $10k.
Is that true? In other funds, I need to ask for an exchange to take place.
BL

Post by BL »

johnubc wrote:
mhc wrote:Investor shares will automatically be converted to admiral shares once you hit $10k.
I would read "automatically" as "sooner or later". IOW, do it yourself for immediate satisfaction.
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

Why not use the ETF VXUS?
#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher »

JDot in [url=http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2490556#p2490556]this post[/url] wrote:... when I searched for it [ Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares (VGTSX) ] by using what I'll call the "browse" or "filter" view, it's not showing up. I have "international" checked and 17 mutual funds come up. Maybe they expect you to be savvy enough to click on the admiral shares one and then click on the "investor" shares. If so, it's a little bit of a jump for newbies like me!
The Fund Minimum check boxes on the left side of this Vanguard web page, which I think you're referring to as "browse" or "filter" view, don't work the way one might expect.

For example if both the $3,000 and $10,000 boxes are checked (as well as the International box), you might think that both the Investor shares - VGTSX ($3,000 minimum) and the Admiral shares - VTIAX ($10,000 minimum) would be listed. However, presumably to reduce web page clutter, Vanguard lists only the Admiral shares. This is a problem if one only knows the ticker symbol for the Investor shares. In such a case I uncheck all but the $1,000 and $3,000 boxes, [ * ] and then only the Investor shares ticker symbol will appear.

* Alternatively, one could open up the Share Class section on the left side and make sure only the box for Low-cost Investor is checked.
mhc

Post by mhc »

johnubc wrote:
It is true. I have first hand experience. It may take a little while, but it will happen. If you calculate the actual saving by not waiting for the auto-conversion, you may determine the manual conversion is not worth it.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
JDot

Post by JDot »

texas_archer wrote:Why not use the ETF VXUS?

The main reason for not using ETFs for me is that you cannot buy partial shares. (unless I'm mistaken?)