I-Bonds purchased monthly can be redeemed when?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
superhawk

I-Bonds purchased monthly can be redeemed when?

Post by superhawk »

So, I've set up an account with Treasury Direct to buy I-Bonds on a monthly basis until the annual limit is reached. It appears that I'm issued a Bond for each monthly purchase which means when I redeem, I will have a different redemption period for each I-Bond. Is this correct? I looked for an answer before asking but found nothing that addressed this question. Thanks.
Dale
poker27

Re: I-Bonds purchased monthly can be redeemed when?

Post by poker27 »

Yes, each bond issued will be redeemable after 12 months (with a 3 month penalty) or after 5 years with no penalty. So I bonds purchased in Jan of 2014 are redeemable Jan of 2015.
Angst

Post by Angst »

If you go to Treasury Direct and click the main I Bonds link (no need to login), you can read about the basics of I Bonds and in the middle of the page you'll see the answer to your question:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/res ... ibonds.htm
Topic Author
superhawk

Post by superhawk »

Just to be clear, each monthly purchase creates a new redemption period for that purchase?
Blues

Post by Blues »

superhawk wrote:Just to be clear, each monthly purchase creates a new redemption period for that purchase?
Correct. Each bond purchased must be held for a 12 month period before it is eligible for redemption. So if you purchase 12 over 12 months, they will each be redeemable a year from the month of their purchase.
Angst

Post by Angst »

an i bond purchased in dec 2014 is 1 year old on dec 1st 2015. an i bond purchased in november 2014 is 1 year old on nov 1st 2015.
Topic Author
superhawk

Post by superhawk »

Thanks to all for the help. I appreciate it.
Dale
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Angst wrote:an i bond purchased in dec 2014 is 1 year old on dec 1st 2015. an i bond purchased in november 2014 is 1 year old on nov 1st 2015.
Note what Angst wrote.

If you buy Dec 31st its one year old in the next year on Dec 1st.

When I buy I-bonds I generally put it off to the end of the month because I'm lazy and I'm going to get the whole month of interest anyway. I also prefer group my buys too 2-3 times per year, less stuff to keep track of.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dbCooperAir wrote:
Angst wrote:an i bond purchased in dec 2014 is 1 year old on dec 1st 2015. an i bond purchased in november 2014 is 1 year old on nov 1st 2015.
Note what Angst wrote.

If you buy Dec 31st its one year old in the next year on Dec 1st.

When I buy I-bonds I generally put it off to the end of the month because I'm lazy and I'm going to get the whole month of interest anyway. I also prefer group my buys too 2-3 times per year, less stuff to keep track of.
And just to add to what dbCooper wrote; you won't earn any additional interest by holding beyond the 1st of the month unless you own on the last day of the month. So it makes sense to redeem them on or around the 1st of the month.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Here's a very useful IBond Excel calculator and portfolio tracker. Of course, I learned about it on the Boglehead Forum.

http://eyebonds.info/downloads/pages/IB ... lator.html

You monitor all your IBonds in the same place. And view them individually or in total, as they grow, month by month, year after year. You can opt to see either redemption value or full value. As well as some other metrics, like Dec-Dec or Jan-Jan totals.

Each May and November, you feed it the newly published rates. It holds your entire IBond history: paper bonds and electronic bonds. It contains complete instructions and notes, so you don't have to remember how to update or adjust it. It's easy.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Flobes wrote:Here's a very useful IBond Excel calculator and portfolio tracker. Of course, I learned about it on the Boglehead Forum.

http://eyebonds.info/downloads/pages/IB ... lator.html

Thanks for the idea. Will test it to ensure it produces the same results as SavingsBondCalculator (paper) and TD (electronic). It would be nice to avoid the monthly TD login.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.