Sold all my individual stocks, but....

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
riptide

Sold all my individual stocks, but....

Post by riptide »

Sold all six of them that I inherited, I've been sad about it, NSC was passed down 3 generations. I found Norfolk Southern in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index VTSAX, that I now own, which made me happier. I also found T (at&t), and Verizon too. I have not found (Dominion Power) Dominion Resources (D) yet , which was a family owned stock I inherited and sold too.

VTSAX Percent in Fund, Railroads Sector, Market Value, Shares Held:

Union Pacific Corp. (UNP) 0.45% Railroads $1,593,127,708 14,694,039
Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC) 0.16% Railroads $564,475,032 5,058,020
CSX Corp. (CSX) 0.15% Railroads $525,299,541 16,384,889
Kansas City Southern (KSU) 0.06% Railroads $218,120,852 1,799,677
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Class A (GWR) 0.02% Railroads $81,466,127 854,749

.16 percent in the Total Index of Norfolk Southern with 5,058,020 Shares Held

I can tell my Aunt I still own NSC when I get the courage.
Last edited by riptide on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Sold all my individual stocks, but....

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Dominion Power is a sub of Dominion Resources. VTSAX held approximately 9,515,359 shares valued at $657,416,153 at September 30, 2014.
Out of 3,657 equities, it ranks at number 107 largest holding. :happy
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

:D
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Dominion Power is a sub of Dominion Resources. VTSAX held approximately 9,515,359 shares valued at $657,416,153 at September 30, 2014.
Out of 3,657 equities, it ranks at number 107 largest holding. :happy
Thanks!! I meant Dominion Resources, I have just seen Dominion Power all over where I grew up so I called it Dominion Power. Thanks for the good news! :D

Norfolk Southern ranks number 125 largest holding right behind Dominion. :D
Last edited by riptide on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Congrats. It is important not to becomes emotionally attached to individual stocks.

You are now on your way to becoming a Boglehead.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I sold my last individual stocks, 70 shares of AAPL, today. I do not plan to have any individual stocks in the future.
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

flyingaway wrote:I sold my last individual stocks, 70 shares of AAPL, today. I do not plan to have any individual stocks in the future.
Good job man, I know it is hard! I miss having a couple of them , that I always linked to my family and memories, but I solve that by having train sets and calendars from Norfolk Southern. I miss having the quarterly dividends sent to me! :shock:
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

I found out the Vanguard total Stock market index owns a part of all 4 blue chip companies I inherited and sold:

Norfolk Southern #125 out of 3,772 stock companies
Dominion Resources #108 out of 3,772 companies
At & t #14 out of 3,772
Verizon # 11 out of 3,772

I am not so sad to know I still own these companies , at least some of each.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

You might be able to buy one share without needing a brokerage account.

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... -faqs.html
This plan is available to both present shareholders of record as well as to individual investors wishing to make an initial purchase of Norfolk Southern Corporation Common Stock.
Or, with some hassle and a fee, you might be able to buy one share that you can hang on your wall, and have dividends mailed to you.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

flyingaway wrote:I sold my last individual stocks, 70 shares of AAPL, today. I do not plan to have any individual stocks in the future.
I know this is a short-sighted comment, but it looks like you sold on a nice uptick.
rob

Post by rob »

If you have some attachment (which as above you should not)... then buy a single share in paper form and frame it - I believe that you still get share certificates issued now days??
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

What is the benefit of buying 1 share? I use to have the stock certificate when I owned over 1000 shares and they asked me to mail it in and convert it to electric!
I did it, but did not want to.

Now, if I buy 1 share, will they give me a paper certificate?? I thought the discontinued this :?:
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

lazyday wrote:You might be able to buy one share without needing a brokerage account.

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... -faqs.html
This plan is available to both present shareholders of record as well as to individual investors wishing to make an initial purchase of Norfolk Southern Corporation Common Stock.
Or, with some hassle and a fee, you might be able to buy one share that you can hang on your wall, and have dividends mailed to you.
I have a brokerage account, and I can buy 1 share, but , I don't believe they offer paper stock certificates anymore. I used to have a Norfolk Southern stock certificate.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Maybe some companies still do?

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/holdsec.htm

If it has meaning to you, you might still get annual reports and other shareholder communications, depending how you own the share and if you elect to.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

This is the same logic I used when I sold the small miscellaneous collection of individual stocks I owned. All but one are well represented on the index funds I own now, so I'm still holding them.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Clumsum

Post by Clumsum »

I still on HDI Harley Davidson. Used to get really nice annual reports. May keep stock forever. Very small part of portfolia and has done well. Emotionally attached?
Topic Author
riptide

Post by riptide »

lazyday wrote:Maybe some companies still do?

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/holdsec.htm

If it has meaning to you, you might still get annual reports and other shareholder communications, depending how you own the share and if you elect to.
Thanks Lazyday, I will call Norfolk Southern Investments.

Update:
I called and they offer the paper certificate. I want to buy one share from my brokerage and they said they can get the certificate for me for $60.00.
Norfolk Southern is pretty much at an all time high! So, I am even struggling to buy 1 share right now. I want to want until the market drops to buy the 1 share! 8-)

I still plan on buying more Norfolk Southern (only up to 5% of my portfolio) , but it is too, too high right now to do anything. I guess I could get the 1 share to get the stock certificate for my wall to frame, and buy high! :shock:

I am even thinking of buying more Norfolk Southern and I will create a new topic about it.