Vanguard Quarterly Dividends in September

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
gkaplan

Vanguard Quarterly Dividends in September

Post by gkaplan »

The table below lists Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that will distribute quarterly income dividends in September 2014.

Each fund's per-share dividend rate is posted on the vanguard.com distributions page on the fund's declaration date. Once the distribution amount is posted, you can log on to your account and view dividends for funds you own. The record date, payable date, reinvestment date, and other fund dividend information will also be available....
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... nds-092014
Gordon
marklearnsbogle

Re: Vanguard Quarterly Dividends in September

Post by marklearnsbogle »

Gordon,

By chance do you know if the date is today, 9/22/14, how long it usually takes to show up in your account? Thanks.
"Nothing is simpler than owning the stock market and holding it forever, and that’s essentially the idea behind the index fund.” - Bogle.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Here is a thread on the timeliness of dividends appearing in one's account:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=87742

It depends on one's broker and Vanguard is the slowest.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
marklearnsbogle

Post by marklearnsbogle »

Thanks, Livesoft - very helpful. (and I shall sit on my hands ...)
"Nothing is simpler than owning the stock market and holding it forever, and that’s essentially the idea behind the index fund.” - Bogle.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

VG should be more punctual in posting the dividend rates (with declaration date of Sep 22) on their web site.

I have probably checked their web site at least a dozen time today but have not seen any update. Another poster said this comes at end of day, but why not make Sep 23 the declaration date if this is the case?
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

InvestorNewb wrote:VG should be more punctual in posting the dividend rates (with declaration date of Sep 22) on their web site.

I have probably checked their web site at least a dozen time today but have not seen any update. Another poster said this comes at end of day, but why not make Sep 23 the declaration date if this is the case?
It takes time to calculate when one is using an ABACUS! :mrgreen: You wanted cheap expenses, well that is about as cheap as you can get when using a calculator. :greedy
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

We still have 7 hours before 9/22 is over. In my experience, dividends are usually posted at about 11PM PST.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

MossySF wrote:We still have 7 hours before 9/22 is over.
Not quite, Vanguard is based in Valley Forge, PA. Valley Forge, PA is on Eastern Standard Time......the time now is 8:41 PM, the number crunchers over in Vanguard's fund accounting area have approximately 3 hours and 19 minutes to get it calculated, proofed and posted. Get cracking......
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Not quite, Vanguard is based in Valley Forge, PA. Valley Forge, PA is on Eastern Standard Time......the time now is 8:41 PM, the number crunchers over in Vanguard's fund accounting area have approximately 3 hours and 19 minutes to get it calculated, proofed and posted. Get cracking......
I just noticed Schwab has already posted Sept dividends for their ETFs and it's not even 6PM yet at Schwab headquarters in San Francisco.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

truenorth418 wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I just noticed Schwab has already posted Sept dividends for their ETFs and it's not even 6PM yet at Schwab headquarters in San Francisco.

Well the NYSE closes at the same time regardless of the home time zone. Do companies really include dividends through the declaration date? It seems like there'd be a cutoff a day or two prior... years ago, who knows how they would have done it without computers.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

So for VNQ the distribution is payable on 9/30/2014 as expected since that's the end of the quarter.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Not trying to be mean, but why do we care so much to check repeatedly, etc? I'll just wait and check in a few days, if even then.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I agree that one doesn't need to check repeatedly at all. However, some folks might need their dividends to make child-support payments, pay their mortgage, pay their bookie, pay off their pay-day loan, etc.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

You all sound like you're teetering on the edge of subsistence. :D

Free soup available for panicked Vanguard clients who didn't get their dividend checks.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote:I agree that one doesn't need to check repeatedly at all. However, some folks might need their dividends to make child-support payments, pay their mortgage, pay their bookie, pay off their pay-day loan, etc.
How did you guess? I need to head down to Penn Station today and pay the bookie for my LIRR monthly ticket. :shock: Usurious rates, I know, but what can a captive customer do?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

runner9 wrote:Not trying to be mean, but why do we care so much to check repeatedly, etc? I'll just wait and check in a few days, if even then.
Tax planning........
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
runner9 wrote:Not trying to be mean, but why do we care so much to check repeatedly, etc? I'll just wait and check in a few days, if even then.
Tax planning........
Yes, but Q3 payments are already due ... a couple of days or so more won't make a big difference.

But that reminds me, it is time to do my 2013 tax return. Only three more weeks left!
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Another silly question - all VNQ 2013 distributions consisted of a dividend and an ROC portion. All 2014 distributions have been dividends. Does this mean VNQ will recharacterize some of those when 1099's come out next year?
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I don't have a taxable account, just Roth IRAs, Rollover IRA and 403b, all of which are reinvested automatically. Therefore I didn't think of the effects on taxable, etc.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Also note that the ETF share classes will trade ex-Dividend tomorrow, so the price of something like VWO will be 1% lower tomorrow morning.
lululu

Post by lululu »

have you all gone crazy? :D
gks

Post by gks »

lululu wrote:have you all gone crazy? :D
Amen. I thought that being a Boglehead was a buy-and-hold, don't look at the daily (monthly, quarterly, annual, decade) return, just stay the course, ignore short-term variations-valuations, and get on with your life strategy. If one needs an immediate, up-to-the-date confirmation, valuation of the portfolio, one was not a Boglehead, but a MARKET-TIMER.

Greg
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Well, I do not have dividends automatically re-invested. I need to know when they appear so that I do not let them languish in the cash sweep account.

Also, I do need to make a tuition payment next week, so I need to know the amount of the dividends so that I do not sell too many shares in my effort to raise cash for that payment. I have to plan ahead on selling shares of ETFs because settlement is T+3, too.

Of course, the real reason is that I am a MARKET TIMER and not a Boglehead.
gks

Post by gks »

Livesoft,

Yes, I realize you are a MARKET TIMER, but I would have thought that you, of all people, would have had x amount of money in solvent accounts so you would not have to depend on short term income, market valued money for short term needs.

edit: By next week, this weeks dividends will be processed by V.

edit edit: As a market timer, don't you have a cash position for advantageous investing that could be used for that tuition payment?

Greg
Last edited by gks on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

lululu wrote:have you all gone crazy? :D

+1....lol
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
peppers

Post by peppers »

December is coming..... :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

gks wrote:Livesoft,

Yes, I realize you are a MARKET TIMER, but I would have thought that you, of all people, would have had x amount of money in solvent accounts so you would not have to depend on short term income, market valued money for short term needs.

edit: By next week, this weeks dividends will be processed by V.

Greg
I am on record that I have no cash laying around. I like to be fully invested at all times. As for "dividends will be processed by V" for ETFs, they will not be available until too late for me, say on Oct 1st. However, my Vanguard ETF dividends held at other brokerages will be available in time the day before.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

gks wrote:edit edit: As a market timer, don't you have a cash position for advantageous investing that could be used for that tuition payment?
Nope. I have shares of bond funds that I can simply sell whenever I need cash. See, for example, http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Placing_ ... ed_account An exchange from a bond fund to an equity fund is very easy to do as well, don't you think?

And I don't even have an emergency fund per se.
gks

Post by gks »

Livesoft,

So, if you are fully invested, what do you consider your “emergency fund”? Rhetorical question, but couldn't you use your emergency fund for the tuition?

Greg

You posted before I could ask this question. Please ignore.

G
gks

Post by gks »

livesoft wrote:
gks wrote:edit edit: As a market timer, don't you have a cash position for advantageous investing that could be used for that tuition payment?
Nope. I have shares of bond funds that I can simply sell whenever I need cash. See, for example, http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Placing_ ... ed_account An exchange from a bond fund to an equity fund is very easy to do as well, don't you think?

And I don't even have an emergency fund per se.
Livesoft,

I have the distinct impression that this week's dividends will have nothing to do with next week's tuition payment.

Greg

edit: Thanks for the link to the "Tax Advantaged Account". I scanned it and will look closer later. Again, thanks.

G
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Actually, you might be surprised.

I have one mutual stock fund at Vanguard in my taxable account and its dividends go directly to my checking account and should be there on Thursday. Those dividends will be at least 20% of the monthly tuition payment for one of my kids. The dividends from VSS at two other brokers will be make up most of the rest of the payment and should be in the checking account on 9/30.

Here's the thread again on timeliness of ETF dividend payments: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=87742
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

livesoft wrote:Well, I do not have dividends automatically re-invested. I need to know when they appear so that I do not let them languish in the cash sweep account.
Especially with prices down a bit.
livesoft wrote:Of course, the real reason is that I am a MARKET TIMER and not a Boglehead.
No true Boglehead would . . .
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Bustoff wrote:You all sound like you're teetering on the edge of subsistence. :D

Free soup available for panicked Vanguard clients who didn't get their dividend checks.
Getting their free from soup from Al Capone nonetheless.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
JustSomeDude

Post by JustSomeDude »

Did anyone else notice the Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) Fund (VIPSX) failed to make a quarterly distribution? It now has a negative SEC yield. Ouch!
shariron

Post by shariron »

Yes I noticed that as well. Article says it was scheduled to make a distribution on September 18, yet it has not happened.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

JustSomeDude wrote:Did anyone else notice the Inflation Protected Securities (TIPS) Fund (VIPSX) failed to make a quarterly distribution? It now has a negative SEC yield. Ouch!
Pretty sure that the dividend will be $0.00 this time around. It has happened before. Perhaps it would be less confusing if VG would go ahead and "declare" it by adding a $0.00 entry on the distributions page.

FWIW, the negative SEC yield thing has been happening for a few years now. (I think there might have been a brief blip in 2013 where it went positive.)

Note that in the case of TIPS funds, SEC yields are real yields (i.e., net after subtracting off inflation adjustments and expenses).

Also note that the TIPS fund is one of the few VG bond funds in which dividends are reflected in the daily share price. So dividend distributions in that fund are non-events for the tax-advantaged investor. It's just a bookkeeping maneuver that moves money from one pocket to another.

To me, the most striking thing about this fund is that it has about $26B in assets, and as of 6/30/14, holds only 41 bonds! Those are some seriously large bonds. Illustrates just how limited the menu is for this asset class, I suppose.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Bustoff wrote:You all sound like you're teetering on the edge of subsistence. :D

What a rip off! No soup for you. Sign says coffee and donut not soup.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

mickeyd wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:

What a rip off! No soup for you. Sign says coffee and donut not soup.
The sign in the window says free soup :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
runner9

Post by runner9 »

http://research.archives.gov/description/541927

The big sign says "soup coffee & doughnuts" with the first part covered.
yahh

Post by yahh »

For the ETFs that had the quarterly dividend declared on the 22nd, the ex-date was 24 and the record date today (26) . Payment was announced for the 30th.

I assume the funds will pay on the same date.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I haven't really followed the list but the only dividends I got today was MGC at TD Ameritrade.