Style Box breakdown of U.S. companies

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
ThePrune

Style Box breakdown of U.S. companies

Post by ThePrune »

Several years ago I had found a breakdown of the number of U.S. companies that were located in each of the Morningstar equity style box cells for the total U.S. equity market. I'm interested a similar breakdown as of this year, 2014.

In other words, how many:
Large+Mega cap Value companies,
Large+Mega cap Blend companies,
Large+Mega cap Growth companies,
Mid cap Value companies,
Mid cap Blend companies,
Mid cap Growth companies,
Small cap Value companies,
Small cap Blend companies,
Small cap Growth companies,
Micro cap companies (sum of all three cells is fine here)

Does anyone have access to the data that can be used to perform this calculation? Or better yet, just give me the numbers of companies! :D
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.
exeunt

Re: Style Box breakdown of U.S. companies

Post by exeunt »

Um, why?
Topic Author
ThePrune

Post by ThePrune »

exeunt wrote:Um, why?
The data are for an adult education class I teach on investing (from a Bogleheads perspective, naturally). I like class participants to clearly understand just how few U.S. companies make up the "large cap" universe while how many companies make up the "smaller cap" universe.
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Vanguard's Total Stock Market fund (VTSAX) has the following Morningstar style chart. It is taken from Morningstar's page for VTSAX (http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=VTSAX). It should be representative of all US companies.

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

bertilak wrote:Vanguard's Total Stock Market fund (VTSAX) has the following Morningstar style chart. It is taken from Morningstar's page for VTSAX (http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=VTSAX). It should be representative of all US companies.

The distribution is based on the definition. Morningstar defines the stock market to be 70% large-cap, 20% mid-cap, 10% small cap, and split evently between value, core, and blend, so the style box for a fund which holds everything except a few micro-caps must look like this.

For an estimate of the number of companies, you could look at the number of holdings in Vanguard's indexes, although there is some overlap because of the CRSP index migration rules. (That is, if a large-cap stock moves into the mid-cap range, it will be treated as half large-cap and half mid-cap at the next reconstitution, and then move to all mid-cap at the next reconstitution if it is still in the mid-cap range.) Note that Vanguard Large-Cap Index is actually large-and-mid-cap (the top 85% of the market); the Mega-Cap Index is the index of the top 70%.
Wiki David Grabiner
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

grabiner wrote:The distribution is based on the definition. Morningstar defines the stock market to be 70% large-cap, 20% mid-cap, 10% small cap, and split evently between value, core, and blend, so the style box for a fund which holds everything except a few micro-caps must look like this.
Yes, you are right. I had forgotten about that. So it is completely useless as an answer to the OP's question!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet