Tax Efficiency of Treasuries

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Tax Efficiency of Treasuries

Post by Call_Me_Op »

It turns-out that the tax efficiency of treasuries is not terrible when comparing purchase of the treasury in a taxable versus tax-deferred account. This is due in part to the state tax exemption of US treasuries. For example, consider the relative after-tax returns based upon the following assumptions:

Federal marginal rate = 33%
State tax rate = 6%
Holding period = 20 years
Tax rates the same every year (for 20 years)

Consider a 20 year treasury paying 3.5%, and reinvestment of dividends at this same rate. Following are the after-tax returns for taxable versus tax-deferred:

Taxable - 100*[(1+0.67*0.035)^20 - 1] = 58.98%

Tax-Deferred - 100*[(1+0.035)^20 - 1]*0.61 = 60.38%

So you earn a mere 1.4% (cumulative) more over the 20 years (an average of 0.07%/year) in the tax-deferred account. This is a difference I can comfortably ignore. Comments welcome.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
jdilla1107

Re: Tax Efficiency of Treasuries

Post by jdilla1107 »

Are you really going to have the same marginal tax rate 20 years in the future?
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

jdilla1107 wrote:Are you really going to have the same marginal tax rate 20 years in the future?
Excellent question. I don't know for sure - but it is very possible since I will be over 70 1/2, and subject to RMD. Since I project a good size retirement account, it is very possible to have the same rate. It is even possible it will be higher.
Beliavsky

Post by Beliavsky »

The SEC yields of VWLTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) and VUSTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) are 2.60% and 3.06%, for a yield ratio of 85%. (This ratio should be adjusted downward slightly to account for the credit risk of investment-grade muni bonds, but by how much?) I think an investor in a federal income tax bracket of 35% or higher may be better off putting stocks in the tax-deferred account and municipal bonds in the taxable account. In fact, with the ratio of muni yields to taxable yields so high, I wonder if Treasury bonds make sense only for very conservative investors who don't want to own stocks. They can own munis in taxable accounts and Treasuries in tax-deferred ones.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If your state taxes are deductible on your federal return, you keep

(1 - .06)(1 - .33) = .6298, not .61, in the tax deferred account.

Long version. Pay .06 to state. Deduct. Pay federal tax on .94. Federal tax is .33 (.94) = .3102. Total tax is .06 + .3102 = .3702. You keep 1 - .3702 = .6298. The short version is easier to remember and apply, but confuses some people.
freddie

Post by freddie »

Beliavsky wrote:The SEC yields of VWLTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) and VUSTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) are 2.60% and 3.06%, for a yield ratio of 85%. (This ratio should be adjusted downward slightly to account for the credit risk of investment-grade muni bonds, but by how much?) I think an investor in a federal income tax bracket of 35% or higher may be better off putting stocks in the tax-deferred account and municipal bonds in the taxable account. In fact, with the ratio of muni yields to taxable yields so high, I wonder if Treasury bonds make sense only for very conservative investors who don't want to own stocks. They can own munis in taxable accounts and Treasuries in tax-deferred ones.
Rate wise it is a no brainer but they have a different credit risk. In one your betting on the US government. In the other your betting on the states. See 2008 for when they diverged.

These numbers change over time. When bonds are paying out 8%, the tax drag gets larger. Or if you live in 0% state.

And of course the tax deferral is a minor part of the traditional IRA/401(k). That extra 36% or so worth of money to start with matters a heck of a lot more.
bobbun

Post by bobbun »

You should be able to improve the tax efficiency of your treasuries a bit by selling prior to maturity, once you have ridden the yield curve down quite a bit. In effect you'll be capturing a portion of future coupon payments immediately as a long term capital gain rather than as interest income. I'm not sure how you would model this, though, as it depends on the future shape of the yield curve--something you can only guess at.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Some states (eg PA) do not tax retirement income. Kiplingers has a state by state guide to the retirement friendliness of various states' tax policies. Even my own state, NY, which they designate as one of the least tax friendly states for retirees, has a deal which will lower my marginal state rate quite a bit. NY does not tax any SS benefits and annually exempts the first 20k of private pensions and IRA withdrawals from state tax. Also gov pensions (federal, military, NYS and subdivisions thereof) are tax free. So my marginal state rate will go down a good bit. On the other hand, there are lots of implicit taxes on income in retirement based on AGI beyond the income tax code. E.g. large deferred income could result in loss of property tax exemption for seniors, higher Medicare premiums, etc.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Call_Me_Op wrote:Taxable - 100*[(1+0.67*0.035)^20 - 1] = 58.98%

Tax-Deferred - 100*[(1+0.035)^20 - 1]*0.61 = 60.38%

So you earn a mere 1.4% (cumulative) more over the 20 years (an average of 0.07%/year) in the tax-deferred account. This is a difference I can comfortably ignore. Comments welcome.
UK 1900 to 2010 20 year Treasury yields averaged 5.8%. Revise your calculation to use that instead of 3.5% and the differences rises to 0.6%/year.

During the 1970's/1980's under high inflation 20 year yields averaged 12.6% 1970 - 1989 inclusive. Drop that figure in and .... ouch! 5.4%/year difference. Oh - btw, the tendency was also for higher (rising) taxes during those years.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

And use the correct tax rates, as I suggested earlier. When you don't pay a state tax on your treasuries in your taxable account, you lose the deduction for the state taxes that you didn't pay. I don't like paying taxes, but if I am going to pay a tax, I like it to be deductible.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Beliavsky wrote:The SEC yields of VWLTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) and VUSTX (Vanguard Long-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares) are 2.60% and 3.06%, for a yield ratio of 85%. (This ratio should be adjusted downward slightly to account for the credit risk of investment-grade muni bonds, but by how much?) I think an investor in a federal income tax bracket of 35% or higher may be better off putting stocks in the tax-deferred account and municipal bonds in the taxable account. In fact, with the ratio of muni yields to taxable yields so high, I wonder if Treasury bonds make sense only for very conservative investors who don't want to own stocks. They can own munis in taxable accounts and Treasuries in tax-deferred ones.
Municipals (unless AAA) are not a good substitute for treasuries as they do not provide the same flight-to-quality boosts. I think treasuries make an excellent complement to stocks. While the expected return of taxable muni's is greater, you are taking greater risk to boot.

That said, if I could find a substitute for BMBIX that I could purchase without a transaction fee, I would substitute it for some of the treasuries.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

sscritic wrote:If your state taxes are deductible on your federal return, you keep

Long version. Pay .06 to state. Deduct. Pay federal tax on .94. Federal tax is .33 (.94) = .3102. Total tax is .06 + .3102 = .3702. You keep 1 - .3702 = .6298. The short version is easier to remember and apply, but confuses some people.
Good point; relatively minor adjustment but relevant.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Good point; relatively minor adjustment but relevant.
But you are looking at small differences. A small change can thus be a large percentage change.

Taxable = 58.98%
Tax-Deferred = 60.38% x .6298/.61 = 62.34%

62.34 is 5.7% larger than 58.98.
richard

Post by richard »

sscritic wrote:If your state taxes are deductible on your federal return, you keep

I'll see your deduction of state taxes and raise you a phase out of itemized deductions about specified income limits.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

sscritic wrote:
Call_Me_Op wrote: Good point; relatively minor adjustment but relevant.
But you are looking at small differences. A small change can thus be a large percentage change.

Taxable = 58.98%
Tax-Deferred = 60.38% x .6298/.61 = 62.34%

62.34 is 5.7% larger than 58.98.
Yes - but that's still just an effective interest rate penalty of 0.1%. If I want treasuries (for their safety) and can only hold them in taxable, that's not going to bother me.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Are you sure about your original numbers?

Make $10,000.

1) Taxable: Pay $600 to the state and $3102 to the feds. Buy $6298 of treasuries.
First year: earn 3.5%. Keep 67% after fed tax (no state), so your yield is 2.345%.
Compound for 20 years. You end up with
6298 x 1.02345^20 = $10,012.33 after all taxes, all of which were pay as you go. No more taxes due.

2) Tax deferred: buy $10,000 of treasuries (no taxes paid yet; you put it all into your tax deferred account).
After 20 years, have
10000 x 1.035^20 = $19,897.89
Take it out as a lump sum and keep 62.98%
19897.89 (.6298) = $12,531.69 after all taxes.

Annual returns after all taxes:
1) Taxable: 1.001233^(1/20) - 1 = 0.00616% per year
2) Tax deferred: 1.253169^(1/20) -1 = 1.135% per year

$10k in taxable represents a lot more money earned than $10k in tax-deferred. That's what deferring the taxes does for you; you can invest more in tax deferred with the same earnings.

Check my numbers; I do make mistakes.
#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher »

sscritic wrote:Check my numbers; I do make mistakes.
Not this time, SS, your figures are correct. :happy

I've expanded on your example to illustrate, in a different way, Call_Me_Op's point. Assume one has $20,000 available before taxes to invest; but that one can only put $10,000 of it in a tax deferred account. Also assume that one wants to invest in only Treasury bonds or CDs and that both will pay 3.5% interest over the next 20 years.

Code: Select all

20         Years
  20,000     Total pretax available to invest
  3.50%      Treasury interest rate
  3.50%      CD interest rate
  33.00%     Federal tax rate
  37.02%     Federal + state combined tax rate (6% + 33% X 94%)
In Scenario A one puts a Treasury bond in the IRA and a CD in the taxable account. In Scenario B one does the reverse. Which is better?

Code: Select all

--- Scenario A ---       ---- Scenario B ----
               Treasury    CD in         CD in     Treasury
                in IRA    Taxable         IRA     in Taxable
                ------    -------       ------    ----------
Invested        10,000     6,298        10,000       6,298 
Growth rate      3.500%    2.204%        3.500%      2.345%
Grows to        19,898     9,741        19,898      10,012 
Tax             (7,366)       -         (7,366)         -   
After tax       12,532     9,741        12,532      10,012
                ----------------        ------------------
Total                22,272                   22,544
Both the Treasury bond and the CD produce the same after tax balance in the IRA ($12,532). But because of the state tax exemption, the Treasury bond produces more than the CD ($10,012 vs $9,741) in the taxable account. Thus, as one would expect, Scenario B is better.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

#Cruncher's post illustrates an important point. When comparing things, you have to know what you are comparing.

I was making $10k and comparing putting in all in treasuries in taxable to all in treasuries in tax deferred.
#Cruncher was making $20k and sending $10k to a CD and $10k to treasuries and comparing treasuries in taxable and the CD in tax deferred vs the reverse.

Different questions, different comparisons, different answers.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Need to forget about the ROTH/Traditional IRA "dilemma". That is a separate issue involving future tax rates and contribution limit differences between the two accounts. Just consider the ROTH which has no tax and get your answer quickly. Settle the tIRA/ROTH debate again in another thread.

The pretax yield on the ten is about 2.5% which means you have a tax of $62.50 per year for a $1000 investment in the 25%/0% Fed/State tax bracket.

Meanwhile a large cap blend index fund with a 2% dividend has an annual tax of $42.00 per year on the same investment in the 15%/6% Fed(dividend)/State tax bracket on the dividend alone. Plus many of us will also have additional LTCG taxes to pay in the future as well as other tax "gotchas".

I consider a large cap blend index fund to be very tax efficient as do most of the Bogleheads and similarly the ten year Treasury is also very tax efficient.

The reason the Treasury is so tax efficient is not so much the zero state tax rate but because the interest rate is currently so low.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

sscritic,

You are assuming (in your example above) that the tax-deferred case starts with a tax-deductible principal. That is not the problem I was solving. I was comparing the two accounts (taxable and tax-deferred) on an equal footing - that is, with the same input. An example of this is investing in an after-tax IRA versus a taxable account.

The math is very different if we are deferring income (e.g., 401k). But that's a different problem than I was addressing.