Apple looks interesting right now

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
stemikger

Apple looks interesting right now

Post by stemikger »

DELETED
Last edited by stemikger on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Aptenodytes

Re: Apple looks interesting right now

Post by Aptenodytes »

err, that's the whole reason they split.
rob

Post by rob »

I dunno.... Do you prefer $20 in your wallet in a single bill, 2x10 or 4x5...... Personally makes no difference to me. I've never understood the game with the price per share.... (I know some of the theories, but Berkshire does not seem to have much of a problem)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Last Friday, I held an entire apple in my hand, on Monday my entire apple was cut into 7 slices - yet I still hold the same apple in my hand.
Are you attracted to something that has been divided or something that is whole? I see you have fallen for the stupidest trick in the book. The value of something does not change because it is divided, it's value is there because of other things but a fractional share of something is NOT the reason for it.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
John3754

Post by John3754 »

What's so interesting about it?
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Isn't your signature "stay the course"?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Yes....it looks interesting.

That's why I take a bite of apple every month when my 403(b) VTSMX contribution goes through.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I never bought a single stock in my life, but I have to say Apple looks interesting right now. Does anyone else feel this way with the recent split.
Nope, their market cap is the same. I own Apple through index funds, no interest in owning it directly, in fact I'd actually be thrilled if my index funds didn't own it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

DELETED
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Stemikger,

what do you know that the market doesn't know?
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

DELETED
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

DELETED
Last edited by stemikger on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

DELETED
Last edited by stemikger on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I read the title and thought that Apple had brought out a new product. I know my son is waiting for a new Apple tv, but it looks like that will be a long wait. When can I get my iPhone 6?
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

DELETED
Last edited by stemikger on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

stemikger wrote: Sorry I can't tell you, in true boglehead fashion, I'm still using a pre-paid flip phone. :wink:
I am too, but I might give in when the iPhone 9 or the iPhone 12 comes out.
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

I recently bought a $125 smart phone that has nearly all of the capabilities of an iPhone 4S. Obviously, there's a vastly larger market for $125 smart phones than for $500 ones. I'm sure that the smart people at Apple know this and that they knew about the cheap smart phone several years ago. It's not clear to me what the right response for Apple is, stay with the high end and become the BMW or Mercedes of phones, develop a $200 smart phone that's far better than the $125 ones, or focus on TVs or in-car entertainment systems (the AutoMac?). How about doing an end run and developing Apple server hardware?

All of this is by way of saying that Apple has lots of challenges ahead. Instead of investing in just Apple, how about investing as well in those companies which are likely to profit from an Apple misstep? In fact, why not invest in the whole stock market? No matter how individual companies do, you'll win.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I buy individual stocks as 10% of my portfolio. I used to own Apple but sold them when they messed up maps. :confused

Splitting does get smaller investors to consider buying, but this is a short term deal and speculation, not investing.

I encourage your interest in investing but would urge you to look at basic company financials, etc. first. If you don't want to do this then resist the urge to buy a speculative investment and stick to index funds.
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Got plenty of it in my VINIX and VTSMX funds
wander

Post by wander »

stemikger wrote:Does anyone else feel this way with the recent split.
No.
macchiato

Post by macchiato »

It looked interesting at $400 14 months ago, when I bought some.

That was $57.14 if you adjust for the split. Does $94 feel interesting anymore?
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

stemikger wrote:I never bought a single stock in my life, but I have to say Apple looks interesting right now. Does anyone else feel this way with the recent split.
It's the largest publicly traded company in the world. Where's the upside? Apple looked a lot more interesting oh around 12 years ago?
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

ourbrooks wrote:I recently bought a $125 smart phone that has nearly all of the capabilities of an iPhone 4S. Obviously, there's a vastly larger market for $125 smart phones than for $500 ones. I'm sure that the smart people at Apple know this and that they knew about the cheap smart phone several years ago. It's not clear to me what the right response for Apple is, stay with the high end and become the BMW or Mercedes of phones, develop a $200 smart phone that's far better than the $125 ones, or focus on TVs or in-car entertainment systems (the AutoMac?). How about doing an end run and developing Apple server hardware?

All of this is by way of saying that Apple has lots of challenges ahead. Instead of investing in just Apple, how about investing as well in those companies which are likely to profit from an Apple misstep? In fact, why not invest in the whole stock market? No matter how individual companies do, you'll win.
$500 for an iPhone? Who actually pays this though?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cosmo wrote:$500 for an iPhone? Who actually pays this though?
Millions do, just not in one payment.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.

Post by 555 »

stemikger wrote:I never bought a single stock in my life, but I have to say Apple looks interesting right now. Does anyone else feel this way with the recent split.
This post is so ridiculous for this forum, especially for someone with over 2000 posts, that I wonder if you are just intentionally wasting everyone's time.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Cosmo wrote: $500 for an iPhone? Who actually pays this though?
Virgin Mobile is having a sale right now. An 32GB iPhone 5s is $519.99. They are sold out of the 64GB iPhone 5s at $749.99. At T-mobile, the 64GB is $847.99 full retail price or $199.99 up front + $27/mo. x 24 mos. My four function calculator says that 27 x 24 is $648. Add $200 (rounding up a little), and I get $848. Oh, so the same price either way.

One payment or many, you still pay a bunch for a smart phone. What Virgin and T-mobile do that is different is that they don't charge you the $25 a month for the rest of your life; they only charge you until the phone is paid off (lump sum or monthly, the choice is yours).
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Under investigation for dodging taxes in Europe... hmnnn... I don't have a talent for stock picking but it's your money.
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

555 wrote:
This post is so ridiculous for this forum, especially for someone with over 2000 posts, that I wonder if you are just intentionally wasting everyone's time.
I tried to delete it after I wrote it but it didn't give me that option. It was really my way of understanding why everyone is so excited about the stock split (people at work). I previously wrote that I never bought an individual stock and all my investments are index funds. So I was hoping to see if others could enlighten me without asking directly. After I wrote it, I shortly realized it was not the place for it.

It was never my intention to waste anyone's time. Which I think is a ridiculous statement. If you don't like a post you can just ignore it and move on to the ones you like.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Don't forget that you can edit. [delete] If you [deleted]

If you [delete] which is which.
Last edited by sscritic on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 555 »

stemikger wrote:
555 wrote:
I tried to delete it after I wrote it but it didn't give me that option. It was really my way of understanding why everyone is so excited about the stock split (people at work). I previously wrote that I never bought an individual stock and all my investments are index funds. So I was hoping to see if others could enlighten me without asking directly. After I wrote it, I shortly realized it was not the place for it.

It was never my intention to waste anyone's time. Which I think is a ridiculous statement. If you don't like a post you can just ignore it and move on to the ones you like.
Nevermind. No biggie.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

sscritic wrote:Don't forget that you can edit. [delete] If you [deleted]

If you [delete] which is which.
I see you figured it out before I posted. I didn't go back and look at the OP after you posted that you couldn't delete.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I own some shares of Apple in my Roth IRA.

What was interesting, to me, was the balance in my Roth IRA on Saturday. I logged in expecting my Roth IRA to be about $70K. No, it was $198K. :shock: Turns out, the stock split was technically at the end of the day Friday, so my 33 shares became 231 shares. That's all fine and good. However, the price did not get adjusted until Monday morning, so the brokerage firm showed me owning 231 shares @ $645 on Saturday. Hence, the extra $128K. Reality took place Monday morning. Sigh.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I'm not sure what the point of deleting the OP is when it's been quoted in subsequent messages so just stand by your words.
moshe

Post by moshe »

Please note that the post split price may be better for traders in AAPL options as the volatility/beta of the stock may well rise as a result of the lower price and more potential trading activity.

That is good for brokers and exchanges. Good for LT investors? Not so clear to meh.

This is not a reason to own AAPL unless the fundamentals, growth and/or cash throw off makes sense. Personally I'll stick with my AAPL ownership interest as part of VTI.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

placeholder wrote:I'm not sure what the point of deleting the OP is when it's been quoted in subsequent messages so just stand by your words.
Well, I'm not under oath and I am and was having a bad day so I didn't feel like reading snarky comments. That seemed to be the direction it was going.
fposte

Post by fposte »

MN-Investor wrote:I own some shares of Apple in my Roth IRA.

What was interesting, to me, was the balance in my Roth IRA on Saturday. I logged in expecting my Roth IRA to be about $70K. No, it was $198K. :shock: Turns out, the stock split was technically at the end of the day Friday, so my 33 shares became 231 shares. That's all fine and good. However, the price did not get adjusted until Monday morning, so the brokerage firm showed me owning 231 shares @ $645 on Saturday. Hence, the extra $128K. Reality took place Monday morning. Sigh.
It also demonstrated yet again that Vanguard is using different timings on different parts of its website. I found out about the split when my overall asset value listed in Balances and Holdings there dived. When I updated to the new share count (it's an outside asset with the share count manually inserted), the Balances and Holdings page was correct but Portfolio Watch still had the old share price and now insisted I had seven times the value in AAPL that I actually did. It took overnight before Portfolio Watch caught up.