How Many Funds Do You Have in Taxable?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

How Many Funds Do You Have in Taxable?

10%
9%
21%
16%
12%
5+
33%

Total votes: 267

NightOwl

Re: How Many Funds Do You Have in Taxable?

Post by NightOwl »

Four funds in taxable.

Brokerage: VEU + VSS for international, VV (trapped in a tax-loss harvest move, donating these appreciated shares to charity over time)
Taxable mutual fund: VTSAX.

No bonds in taxable -- they are all in my 401k.

I voted four, but with PMM it would be five.

NightOwl
"Volatility provokes the constant dread that some investors know more than we do, making us fearful of ignoring such powerful price movements." | Peter Bernstein, "The 60/40 Solution."
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Four here. Three are bond funds which do not overlap, and one stock fund.
Doc

Post by Doc »

scrabbler1 wrote:Four here. Three are bond funds which do not overlap, and one stock fund.
I'm curious, what are the three bond funds that don't overlap?
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Doc wrote:
scrabbler1 wrote:Four here. Three are bond funds which do not overlap, and one stock fund.
One is an intermediate-term national muni bond fund. A second is a long-term home-state muni bond fund. A third is a long-term corporate bond fund.
thisismyusername123

Post by thisismyusername123 »

Too many, accumulated over the years and never cashed in. Now that I sort of know what I'm doing, I think I will be able to tilt toward small cap in an educated rather than haphazard way, but my portfolio will look like a war zone by the time it's done. Is it worth pulling the trigger on capital gains in order to simplify a portfolio, assuming one's holdings are otherwise tax-efficient and low-cost?
209south

Post by 209south »

13 - all at Vanguard - 6 different tax-exempt funds and 7 equity funds - TSM and TISM + small and value for each, plus EM - have this many partly for TLH and partly for portfolio breadth
Doc

Post by Doc »

scrabbler1 wrote:
Doc wrote:
One is an intermediate-term national muni bond fund. A second is a long-term home-state muni bond fund. A third is a long-term corporate bond fund.
Thanks, unfortunately none of those fit my plan. :(
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
siamond

Post by siamond »

6. Mostly due to slice & dice. Total-us, developed-int'l, emerging-int'l, small-caps (2 of them - historical), muni-bonds.

Then, I have a couple of minor ones lingering from my sector-oriented dark past (e.g. VDE, XLF), which I'll sell when it makes sense (e.g. moving to a lower tax bracket and need for cash).

Little overlap with tax-sheltered, except some total-us in my 401k, which helps when rebalancing.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

scrabbler1 wrote:
Doc wrote:
Corporate bond fund in taxable? Does that hurt at tax time?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

209south wrote:13 - all at Vanguard - 6 different tax-exempt funds and 7 equity funds - TSM and TISM + small and value for each, plus EM - have this many partly for TLH and partly for portfolio breadth
Wow. that has to be a lot to manage - 13 funds in a taxable account. I am curious of the need for 6 tax exempt bond funds? Total Stock and Total International should cover the equity side as well.
G12

Post by G12 »

We have 14, 13 are ETFs, the one fund is VTIAX. 13 are at VBS, 1 is at Wells, they are all equity holdings in his & her taxable + 2 joint accounts. That excludes sweep money market accounts. A few are replicated in Roth/TIRA accounts. I don't find it complex nor difficult to manage, + the joint acct holds a number of individual stocks. If I hadn't burned through a large amount of loss carry forwards offsetting gains on profitable investment property sales there might be a few less ETFs, but cap gains + 6% state tax is a deterrent.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

island wrote:
poker27 wrote:Im slowly going down to three (total US, total international, and tax exempt bond). I'm in the process of slowly selling my posistions in Wellington, and have to figure out how I will get rid of my dividend fund
Why getting out of Wellington? To simplify, poor returns, or?
Curious because I have that in my 401K.
Thanks
Wellington is in my taxable, so I'm trying to keep income to a mimimum (which is why i have tax exempt bond), also the expense is a bit high for my taste. IMO its much better to have it in a 401k, and a good simple fund if you are looking for that.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

abuss368 wrote:
scrabbler1 wrote:
Doc wrote:
Corporate bond fund in taxable? Does that hurt at tax time?
I am in the 15% bracket, so I don't have as much in munis as I used to. This fund provides most of my income. I am an early retiree.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Taxable: Total Stock, Total International Stock, FTSE x US, Small Cap Index, Energy.
Tax advantaged: Total Stock, Total Int'l Stock, Value Index (wife), REIT
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I have five funds in taxable because I slice and dice international: Tax-Managed International, Emerging Markets Index, FTSE All-World Ex-US Small-Cap, iShares emerging markets small cap (EEMS). I also hold Total Stock Market in taxable; I do my domestic slice-and-dicing in my retirement accounts.
Wiki David Grabiner
Statch

Post by Statch »

I voted two, not thinking that the money market account counted. I have VG Tax-Managed Growth & Income and Tax-Managed Small-Cap. I bought those when I started investing, thinking I might want to adjust my allocation in the future. I later figured out that I was never going to understand enough about investing to do that so I should have just bought Total Stock Market. Still they've done well enough for me and I've been happy with the tax managed part. I also have I-Bonds in taxable.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

I am surprised a little at how many Three Fund Portfolio's are evident.
209south

Post by 209south »

209south wrote:13 - all at Vanguard - 6 different tax-exempt funds and 7 equity funds - TSM and TISM + small and value for each, plus EM - have this many partly for TLH and partly for portfolio breadth

Wow. that has to be a lot to manage - 13 funds in a taxable account. I am curious of the need for 6 tax exempt bond funds? Total Stock and Total International should cover the equity side as well.

The management sounds worse than it is - it's almost all long-term money so there are very few transactions - I hold the extra funds partly to allow tax-efficient rebalancing.

On the fixed income side, I have:
1. NJ Tax-Exempt MM
2. NJ LT T-E (half the total)
3. Limited Term T-E
4. Intermediate Term T-E
5. Long Term T-E
the last three are about 15% each of my fixed income in taxable - frankly bought them because I'm totally undecided about where to be on the yield curve!

Equities include TSM, TISM, Small Index, Value Index, Small Value, Tax-Mgd Small Value, Emerging Mkts and Ex-US Small Cap - half is in the two general funds, the tilting is done informally
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

3 - VTSAX, VTIAX, VSS
rr2

Post by rr2 »

Just one -- VTWSX. Vanguard Total World Stock Index fund.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

1 - Vg Tax Managed Balanced fund
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

A glance at the results suggests to me that an additional category created by having 5-9 and 10+ would be informative
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus »

I voted 2 (total stock and total international) but I plan to start slicing and dicing next month as per my IPS. I will then have 5 funds in taxable, adding VEIEX, VSS and VBR.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

abuss368 wrote:I am surprised a little at how many Three Fund Portfolio's are evident.
That was my observation as well. But don't forget that many (most) BHs have a substantial chunk of their investment in tax-favored side which is not addressed in this post.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
island

Post by island »

poker27 wrote:
island wrote:
poker27 wrote:Im slowly going down to three (total US, total international, and tax exempt bond). I'm in the process of slowly selling my posistions in Wellington, and have to figure out how I will get rid of my dividend fund
Why getting out of Wellington? To simplify, poor returns, or?
Curious because I have that in my 401K.
Thanks
Wellington is in my taxable, so I'm trying to keep income to a mimimum (which is why i have tax exempt bond), also the expense is a bit high for my taste. IMO its much better to have it in a 401k, and a good simple fund if you are looking for that.
Thanks. I hold it in my 401K I forget about the tax consequences. Since it contains bonds the dividends and cap gains are non qualified? Pay the same tax rate as if it was a bond fund?
island

Post by island »

We own 6. 6 I wish we didn't own because they're American Funds. AMRMX, CWGIX, AEPGX, AMECX, SMCWX, AWSHX.

Yup, paid loads, for this random assortment purchased mid 90's before we knew any better. Fortunately didn't panic and sell anything during the drops in the 2000's, but unfortunately didn't tax harvest during the downturns because we didn't know about that until finding this site during the past year. No TH opportunities now and receiving too much taxable dividend and cap gains income we don't need, but too high a balance to sell without a major tax hit.
:oops:
Took Lifesoft's recommendation elsewhere to stop dividend reinvestment and will probably redirect that to whatever is the most tax efficient Vanguard fund. I imagine that's Total US? Already own a large stake in that in my 401K, and think we're overweighted in large caps overall.
Any other suggestions for a low cost tax efficient fund to buy and hold in taxable?
Thanks
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

Total Stock Market, Total International Stock Market, Small Cap Index for stocks
Intermediate term tax exempt and CA intermediate term tax exempt for bonds
Have Vanguard REIT but 100% in tax deferred
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

I have a tilted portfolio and want to hold bonds in taxable. If it isn't already obvious, I'm not particularly interested in trying to minimize the number of funds. :)
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
island

Post by island »

baw703916 wrote:12

I have a tilted portfolio and want to hold bonds in taxable. If it isn't already obvious, I'm not particularly interested in trying to minimize the number of funds. :)
Baw could you please tell us what the funds are? I'm interested in learning more about the portfolios of experienced Bogleheads. Thanks
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

island wrote:

Baw could you please tell us what the funds are? I'm interested in learning more about the portfolios of experienced Bogleheads. Thanks
equities:
VTI (TSM ETF)
VEU (Large International)
VSS (Small international)
JKL (Small value)
IWC (microcaps)
VO (midcaps)
VOE (Midcap value)
VWO (EM)
DLS (International Small Value)

munis:
VWLTX (long term TE -- really not that long)
VWAHX (high yield TE)
PRVAX (in-state-muni--T. Rowe Price --Vanguard doesn't have a fund for my state)

Some of these funds are based on limitations of my retirement accounts (no EM) and not wanting to have funds tracking the same index in different accounts to avoid wash sale issues. Also VEU is there because I was switching back and forth between that and total international tax loss harvesting, and happened to be in VEU when the EUro crisis ended.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

10; Slice and dice and then tax harvesting. I should have moved back after 30 days but I hate to sell stuff. However buy and hold does not work for me after tax harvesting.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

4 funds- vss fsivx vfwax vlcax
Best Wishes, SpringMan
sambb

Post by sambb »

Is there a good strategy to get rid of funds that have a large gain, and i am in a high tax bracket?
Please don't suggest donating to charity.

The funds are low cost (random vanguard funds), but they are now a small part of my portfolio (2-4%)
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

sambb wrote:Is there a good strategy to get rid of funds that have a large gain, and i am in a high tax bracket?

The funds are low cost (random vanguard funds), but they are now a small part of my portfolio (2-4%)
Not really, unless a repeat of 2008 happens. But if there is a huge crash, rather than despairing, it's a good opportunity to get rid of unwanted funds. At the least, you want to stop reinvesting distributions, if you currently are.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

cheese_breath wrote:Two in taxable, Vanguard Total Stock Market and S&P 500 indexes. So when I take tax free capital gains out of one (I'm in 15% bracket) I can immediately invest them in the other and bypass frequent trading policy.
Now THAT is clever. Just when I was going to ask about overlap, you spell out a very shrewed approach.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BolderBoy wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:Two in taxable, Vanguard Total Stock Market and S&P 500 indexes. So when I take tax free capital gains out of one (I'm in 15% bracket) I can immediately invest them in the other and bypass frequent trading policy.
Now THAT is clever. Just when I was going to ask about overlap, you spell out a very shrewed approach.
You could also use Vanguard Large-Cap Index Fund Investor Shares (VLACX) which has a market cap closer to the S&P 500.
Bracket

Post by Bracket »

I think I have 7.

The amount of money I try to save per year is larger than what I am allowed to save in my 401k and IRA. As a result, my taxable accounts, although as a whole still smaller than my tax advantaged accounts, are growing at a much faster rate and will eventually be larger. Plus there are asset classes I hold that are not available in my 401k and that have a target allocation that is larger than my entire IRA. This all means that I have a lot of different funds in taxable accounts.

I have not even tax loss harvested yet, but if and when I do, then the number of funds in taxable might increase further.

I do have some funds held in both taxable and tax-advantaged. This is not really intentional, just how it worked out. Really the only fund I would never hold in taxable is REIT index. I still have all my taxable bonds in tax-advantaged as well, even though some people are now saying that is "foolish."
Dadarkar

Post by Dadarkar »

Four (Had seven four years ago)
Total Stock
Total International
Intermediate Tax Exempt
NY Long term tax exempt(Small percentage)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sambb wrote:Is there a good strategy to get rid of funds that have a large gain, and i am in a high tax bracket?
Sure, give them away to your relatives and friends. They will get your basis (so let them know that), but they will be able to sell in their tax brackets which could be as low as 0%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
thisismyusername123

Post by thisismyusername123 »

livesoft wrote:
Sure, give them away to your relatives and friends. They will get your basis (so let them know that), but they will be able to sell in their tax brackets which could be as low as 0%.
I'm pretty sure that's one step worse than charity.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

livesoft wrote:
Is this a real thing? I realize the most I could give, say, my little sister is $14,000 in a year; if I wanted to give her $14,000 in stock, instead of selling that much, paying cap gains, writing her a check, and having her buy it back at Vanguard, I could somehow give her shares of VTSAX (or whatever), and then she'd have them at my basis (obviously not stepped up)?
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

Clever_Username wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Is this a real thing? I realize the most I could give, say, my little sister is $14,000 in a year; if I wanted to give her $14,000 in stock, instead of selling that much, paying cap gains, writing her a check, and having her buy it back at Vanguard, I could somehow give her shares of VTSAX (or whatever), and then she'd have them at my basis (obviously not stepped up)?
It depends. If you are giving her a real gift, then sure. If you are giving it to her and expecting her to repay it then it's tax fraud.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

ajcp wrote:It depends. If you are giving her a real gift, then sure. If you are giving it to her and expecting her to repay it then it's tax fraud.
Good point. If I do it, it'll be a real gift, not an attempt to sneak something by anyone. Just interesting to me that this option of giving a gift exists -- I had not known previously one could gift shares of a mutual fund to an adult.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Clever_Username wrote:I realize the most I could give, say, my little sister is $14,000 in a year
That's the most you can give in a year without filling out a tax form and having it count against your lifetime exemption but you could give more if you wanted.
island

Post by island »

baw703916 wrote:
island wrote:

equities:
VTI (TSM ETF)
VEU (Large International)
VSS (Small international)
JKL (Small value)
IWC (microcaps)
VO (midcaps)
VOE (Midcap value)
VWO (EM)
DLS (International Small Value)

munis:
VWLTX (long term TE -- really not that long)
VWAHX (high yield TE)
PRVAX (in-state-muni--T. Rowe Price --Vanguard doesn't have a fund for my state)

Some of these funds are based on limitations of my retirement accounts (no EM) and not wanting to have funds tracking the same index in different accounts to avoid wash sale issues. Also VEU is there because I was switching back and forth between that and total international tax loss harvesting, and happened to be in VEU when the EUro crisis ended.
Thanks baw. Appreciate that you listed them and provided some of your rationale.
SteveKL

Post by SteveKL »

Here are my 9 largest taxable holdings, in descending order with the % shown representing each fund's share of my total portfolio (taxable & tax-deferred combined):

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares VTSAX 14.8%
Vanguard Windsor II Fund Admiral Shares VWNAX 6.3%
Vanguard PRIMECAP Core Fund VPCCX 6.0%
Vanguard Tax-Managed Small-Cap Fund Admiral Shares VTMSX 4.9%
Vanguard Tax-Managed International Fund Admiral Shares VTMGX 4.5%
Vanguard Growth Index Fund Admiral Shares VIGAX 4.0%
Vanguard Health Care Fund Admiral Shares VGHAX 3.9%
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund VMMXX 3.7%
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares VTIAX 3.5%

For grins, I also calculated my total allocation between taxable and tax-deferred: 80/20.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Six ..Total US, Small Value, Total Int, Small Int, Int Tax Ex and Limited Term
tigerman3

Post by tigerman3 »

VCADX Vanguard California Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Admiral Shares
VWEAX Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Fund Admiral Shares
VMLUX Vanguard Limited-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Admiral Shares
VTMSX Vanguard Tax-Managed Small-Cap Fund Admiral Shares
VTIAX Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares
VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares