Net Worth Survey 2014 Interactive Dashboard

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
dlprop

Net Worth Survey 2014 Interactive Dashboard

Post by dlprop »

Hi, I decided to create a dashboard with the Boglehead Net Worth survey data. My main purpose was to find out where bogleheads in my age range fall and do some comparisons. I had a bit of fun with this; you can filter on age and educational attainment and see how many in your cohort consider themselves financially independent, and see what incomes were listed.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... y_count=no

Let me know your thoughts, or if you have other things you'd like to see in the dashboard. Please be kind, it's my first time posting a dashboard so publicly.

Laura

Re: Net Worth Survey 2014 Interactive Dashboard

Post by Laura »

That is kind of fun. Thanks for pulling it together in this format. It really goes to show what an abnormal group we really are. :happy

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

Thanks Laura, I had fun creating it... which is what makes me abnormal as well I suppose.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

I have to admit that as a survey respondent, it's a bit disconcerting to see the data hosted on yet another public server. I know the data is anonymized and I know I gave up control the moment I took the survey, but it makes me queasy nonetheless.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Look's great.

Could you do one by age instead of education?
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Thanks for putting this together
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

cool stuff.

thanks for posting
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Lol. I am below Boglehead-average in every way. :)
Sarah
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

mhc wrote:Look's great.

Could you do one by age instead of education?
Thanks mhc! You can filter on age using the drop down filter in the top right of the dashboard. You'll need to click on the link to get to the interactive dashboard though.
Methedras

Post by Methedras »

These surveys always remind me that, while I have earned a Ph.D. in a highly-desirable technical engineering discipline, I am a huge laggard behind the other doctoral and professional respondents. Ladies and gentleman, working in academia doesn't pay. Or, atleast not in dollar denominations. :oops:

It has provided with a relaxed and (usually) interesting working environment, and opportunity to travel the world, so it's not all bad.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

I might have missed it but how did you work SS into your net worth figure ?
Was it SS * Remaining Life Expectency ?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Hexdump wrote:I might have missed it but how did you work SS into your net worth figure ?
I suppose you could price an equivalent annuity but IMO it doesn't belong in net worth. You cannot re-balance it, it is not subject to estate tax, you can't give it away or spend it (in one lump sum) and it disappears when you kick the bucket (except surviving spouse).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

jebmke wrote:
Hexdump wrote:I might have missed it but how did you work SS into your net worth figure ?
I suppose you could price an equivalent annuity but IMO it doesn't belong in net worth. You cannot re-balance it, it is not subject to estate tax, you can't give it away or spend it (in one lump sum) and it disappears when you kick the bucket (except surviving spouse).
Hmm, good point, I'll add an option tonight so you can select whether you want to see Net Worth either with or without SS.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I didn't do the survey, but I'm curious as to what multiplier was used to assess the value of a pension with (and without) COLA.
Novine

Post by Novine »

This is a neighborhood where I would be pleased just to be average!
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

Novine wrote:This is a neighborhood where I would be pleased just to be average!
+1
Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 »

This is a really cool output, and the driver behind it is an excel spreadsheet? How can I create a dashboard from an excel spreadsheet? I ask because I track my investments in excel and it would be cool to have an output page like this instead of rows and columns of numbers.
40% Extended Market | 40% S&P 500 | 10% REIT | 5% State Muni Bond | 5% Cash
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

Bogle101 wrote:This is a really cool output, and the driver behind it is an excel spreadsheet? How can I create a dashboard from an excel spreadsheet? I ask because I track my investments in excel and it would be cool to have an output page like this instead of rows and columns of numbers.
Thanks! I did this using Tableau using an excel input. It is pretty pricey software and I used to have a license at my old company. I used Tableau Public here, but your data will need to be uploaded publicly for you to save your work. You can create a dashboard in Excel using macros (http://chandoo.org/wp/excel-dashboards/), but it is a bit more tedious.
DullButComfy

Post by DullButComfy »

I was *just* about to ask folks for their % allocation to stocks, so that I could see where I'm at vs. the average Boglehead in my age range. No need to do that now. Thanks!
travellight

Post by travellight »

great work, dlprop, thanks!
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Impressive work!
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Impressive. Glad someone has more time for this type of thing than others. Amazing site.

Tim
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

Thanks a bunch. Good stuff.

... guess I gotta save more though :-)
Don't reach for yield.
daave

Post by daave »

Cool, thanks for putting this together! Three single people in their 20s who are already FI, I've got some catching up to do!

I'd be really interested in seeing the net worth box-and-whiskers graphs without social security included, especially as for us younger folks approximating our future SS benefit involves a lot of assumptions/guesswork.
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

daave wrote:Cool, thanks for putting this together! Three single people in their 20s who are already FI, I've got some catching up to do!
I don't think I would put too much weight on that; their net worths are 177K, 100K, and 90K. It is possible that some people in their 20s have a different definition of "financially independent." :D
Topic Author
dlprop

Post by dlprop »

daave wrote:Cool, thanks for putting this together! Three single people in their 20s who are already FI, I've got some catching up to do!

I'd be really interested in seeing the net worth box-and-whiskers graphs without social security included, especially as for us younger folks approximating our future SS benefit involves a lot of assumptions/guesswork.
Ok, the default view now shows net worth without social security. You can use the filter in the top right to select the net worth calculation that includes social security. I also made it so that the net worth calculations within the tables are also dependent on the filter.

daave

Post by daave »

dlprop wrote:Ok, the default view now shows net worth without social security. You can use the filter in the top right to select the net worth calculation that includes social security. I also made it so that the net worth calculations within the tables are also dependent on the filter.

Just noticed that this thread has been updated, thanks very much for the updates, very cool.

One interesting takeaway from this is that a lot of Bogleheads tend to purchase a home in their late-20s to early-30s. Median value of all residences is $0 for 20s and $300K for 30s.

As a group we also seem to have very high net_worth:income ratios (not that this should be a huge surprise).
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

For the working folk, one interesting aspect would be a function of net worth (ex-inheritance) as a function of net household income. Not to say that certain individuals have recently stepped up income, but this would better benchmark how one personally saves for retirement relative to similar household incomes.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Bogle101 wrote:This is a really cool output, and the driver behind it is an excel spreadsheet? How can I create a dashboard from an excel spreadsheet? I ask because I track my investments in excel and it would be cool to have an output page like this instead of rows and columns of numbers.
Chandoo's website (previously linked by the OP) contains lots of great information. If you want a more systematic overview, this is a fine introduction:

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Dashboards- ... 1118842243
Btags84

Post by Btags84 »

Hello, is there a way to update this with more current survey data? This is so cool!
fire4fun

Post by fire4fun »

So those with a master's degree had a higher net worth in all respects compared with a doctorate / professional degree? Very interesting. One question, what does the "Null" category represent exactly?