SCSI

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Sagenick48

SCSI

Post by Sagenick48 »

For years, Vanguard Group founder John C. Bogle has said that investors, as a starting point, should have a bond allocation roughly akin to their age—the usual rule of thumb. But an important detail often got lost: He says that the "bond" part should include any pension, along with Social Security.
The market goes up, the market goes down.
livesoft

Re: SCSI

Post by livesoft »

But what has your comment to do with SCSI … an old protocol for connecting devices like disks to computers? You know: SCSCI disks, SCSI tape dries, etc. Pronounced "scuzzy".
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Super-speed USB 3.0 has pretty well put a nail in SCSI's coffin...
Attempted new signature...
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Sagenick48 wrote: But an important detail often got lost:
Not around here, as a search using the search box would reveal.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Search for bogle bonds. The first result is the wiki
Bogle also suggests that, during the retirement distribution phase, you include as a bond-like component of your wealth and asset allocation the value of any future pension and Social Security payment you expect to receive.
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category:Bonds

Now that's an important detail that often gets lost. In fact, I don't recall the discussion about differentiating between accumulation and distribution, but maybe I could find it if I used the search box.
rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 »

livesoft wrote:But what has your comment to do with SCSI … an old protocol for connecting devices like disks to computers? You know: SCSCI disks, SCSI tape dries, etc. Pronounced "scuzzy".
Hah, I clicked this thread thinking "Oohh, old computer question!"
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The Wizard wrote:Super-speed USB 3.0 has pretty well put a nail in SCSI's coffin...
SCSI is alive and well, now as SAS (Serial Attached SCSI).

For large RAID servers, SAS is a much better protocol that SATA.
skylar

Post by skylar »

The Wizard wrote:Super-speed USB 3.0 has pretty well put a nail in SCSI's coffin...
USB 3.0 still supports SCSI for its mass storage interface. ;)
stratton

Post by stratton »

The Seattle Police Dept. jumped on the Crime Scene Investigations bandwagon from TV and called theirs Seattle CSI which was shortened to SCSI pronounced... Oh you know which way!

That name change went on the missing persons list real fast. :oops:

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Isn't SCSI the name of a crime TV program ? :D It sounds like one.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

skylar wrote:
USB 3.0 still supports SCSI for its mass storage interface. ;)
Right.

Actually, USB 3.0 introduced UAS - USB-Attached SCSI .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

So, SCSI lives on.
jjbiv

Post by jjbiv »

SCSI is still alive and well in the enterprise computing and storage worlds. You can put a new face on it but you can't get rid of it!
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I still have an external SCSI hard drive laying around here, but I just realized that last year I donated my last machine that had a built-in SCSI interface. If I wanted to use that external hard drive as-is, I would have to get an adapter-card. Probably simpler to actually get a new enclosure for it! But chances of me ever turning that on again are slim. I think it was a sub-50 GB drive, but cannot recall. Been a LONG time since I ran a server and with my user consumption machines, no needed for the stability of SCSI.
skylar

Post by skylar »

BrandonBogle wrote:I still have an external SCSI hard drive laying around here, but I just realized that last year I donated my last machine that had a built-in SCSI interface. If I wanted to use that external hard drive as-is, I would have to get an adapter-card. Probably simpler to actually get a new enclosure for it! But chances of me ever turning that on again are slim. I think it was a sub-50 GB drive, but cannot recall. Been a LONG time since I ran a server and with my user consumption machines, no needed for the stability of SCSI.
I have about 5 9GB full-height SCSI drives, and a DLT-III tape drives (plus media!) in a closet. I sure as heck don't miss the noise, or dealing with the terminations (active vs passive vs did it just fall off?).
FNK

Post by FNK »

Experiment/troll successful, conversation derailed from the start.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

FNK wrote:Experiment/troll successful, conversation derailed from the start.
Is there any other common meaning to SCSI ?

It seems the OP's subject didn't match the post.