Is your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in September?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
gkaplan

Is your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in September?

Post by gkaplan »

The table below lists Vanguard mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that will distribute quarterly income dividends in September 2013.

Each fund's per-share dividend rate will be posted on the vanguard.com distributions page on the fund's declaration date. (Typically, this information is posted during the evening of the declaration date, so you may wish to wait until the following day to check.) Once the distribution amount is posted, you can log on to your account and view dividends for funds you own. The record date, payable date, reinvestment date, and other fund dividend information will also be available.
Don't see your fund?

Not all mutual funds distribute dividends on a quarterly basis. Some dividends are issued monthly, semiannually, or annually. See our distributions page for a complete list of all scheduled distributions....

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... nds-092013
Gordon
runner9

Re: Is your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in Septem

Post by runner9 »

Thanks for the link, I'd actually just looked for it yesterday but I guess I was a day early.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Gordon, thanks for the link.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

Why are they early?
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
chaz

Post by chaz »

InvestorNewb wrote:Why are they early?
Vanguard likes us.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

gkaplan wrote:Is your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in September?
This should be a sticky for the next 30-or so days to avoid.... "What happened to XYZ fund today ??" :)
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

YDNAL wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Is your fund is declaring a quarterly dividend in September?
This should be a sticky for the next 30-or so days to avoid.... "What happened to XYZ fund today ??" :)
Yes. We seem to get many of those. A temporary sticky would be helpful!
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

Thanks for the post.

Following advice I've seen on the forum, I don't re-invest dividends automatically, and steer dividends and other cash to funds/ETFs that are below allocation.

Question: Is there a rule of thumb as to when one should invest cash flows or dividends with respect to quarterly dividend distributions? With cash flows - day before / day of / after? With dividends - day of / after? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

RNJ wrote:Thanks for the post.

Following advice I've seen on the forum, I don't re-invest dividends automatically, and steer dividends and other cash to funds/ETFs that are below allocation.

Question: Is there a rule of thumb as to when one should invest cash flows or dividends with respect to quarterly dividend distributions? With cash flows - day before / day of / after? With dividends - day of / after? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
I have the same question. Anybody?
sport

Post by sport »

In an IRA, it does not matter when you invest with respect to distributions. In a taxable account, it is better to invest after the fund goes ex-dividend. This avoids getting a taxable distribution on holdings you just bought.
Jeff
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

jsl11 wrote:In an IRA, it does not matter when you invest with respect to distributions. In a taxable account, it is better to invest after the fund goes ex-dividend. This avoids getting a taxable distribution on holdings you just bought.
Jeff
Thank you. I wasn't as clear as I should have been. What I was also interested in understanding was a best practice for when to re-invest dividends. I've "turned off" the automatic re-investment option in my VG accounts and have the funds funneled to a MM account, the plan being to put the money towards lagging asset classes. The question, then, is when to do this.

Thanks again jsl - I appreciate your response.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

You can do it the day the fund goes x-dividend - after the dividend has actually been paid, or a week or an month later. I usually wait until all of the dividends are actually in the MM account before deciding where they need to go.

But this year, all of the taxable dividends are likely to go to munis and international.

Dale
Last edited by Dale_G on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volatility is my friend
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Great!

I hope the international REIT fund pays a better dividend than in June.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Is the 19th the day of record for that set of funds? Meaning, I normally buy in a Roth the 20th of the month but if I'll get dividends for what I own the end of the 19th I'll buy a day early.
sport

Post by sport »

runner9 wrote:Is the 19th the day of record for that set of funds? Meaning, I normally buy in a Roth the 20th of the month but if I'll get dividends for what I own the end of the 19th I'll buy a day early.
When dividends are distributed, the value of the shares drops by the amount of the dividend. Therefore, in an IRA, it makes no difference. However, in a taxable account, you get to pay taxes on the dividend even though you had no real income.
Jeff
mptness

Post by mptness »

RNJ wrote:
jsl11 wrote:In an IRA, it does not matter when you invest with respect to distributions. In a taxable account, it is better to invest after the fund goes ex-dividend. This avoids getting a taxable distribution on holdings you just bought.
Jeff

Thank you. I wasn't as clear as I should have been. What I was also interested in understanding was a best practice for when to re-invest dividends. I've "turned off" the automatic re-investment option in my VG accounts and have the funds funneled to a MM account, the plan being to put the money towards lagging asset classes. The question, then, is when to do this.

Thanks again jsl - I appreciate your response.
The time to do it is probably when you have scheduled rebalancing or when you have accumulated enough to purchase a larger number of shares
When you elect to not automatically reinvest dividends in a taxable account it is usually in order to avoid creating many small tax lots to keep track of and to avoid a wash sale when tax loss harvesting. There is an opportunity cost in not immediately reinvesting, but if you have the dividends routed to an interest bearing account that will help. This is what I do and then add to new money when rebalancing or purchasing new shares in order to buy in bigger lots. If you have a large taxable account, the dividend might exceed the amount that you wish to reinvest in the fund which is another reason not to automatically reinvest divedends. Check out the Wiki which explains this in detail.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

Any idea when the dividend rate will be posted on Vanguard's web site? I've been checking daily...
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

InvestorNewb wrote:Any idea when the dividend rate will be posted on Vanguard's web site? I've been checking daily...
The Managed Payout funds have their quarterly distribution posted at this time. We will likely see the funds for 9/19 declaration update 9/18 night or 9/19 night. Vanguard does like to keep the posted information secret until we are just about right on top of the payout, but 9/19 still will likely NOT be the payout date. Just the date they tell us when the payout date (and how much) will be.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

BrandonBogle wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:Any idea when the dividend rate will be posted on Vanguard's web site? I've been checking daily...
The Managed Payout funds have their quarterly distribution posted at this time. We will likely see the funds for 9/19 declaration update 9/18 night or 9/19 night. Vanguard does like to keep the posted information secret until we are just about right on top of the payout, but 9/19 still will likely NOT be the payout date. Just the date they tell us when the payout date (and how much) will be.
Thanks!
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

I still don't see the rates on Vanguard's web site.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I believe it posts and updates over night. Tomorrow I would expect the data to be there.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

The title of this thread makes me think of a line from Porgy and Bess.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

abuss368 wrote:I believe it posts and updates over night. Tomorrow I would expect the data to be there.
As of a few minutes ago, VTSAX and VTIAX (the only two I checked) have listed their distributions in the appropriate tabs on the information pages.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Clever_Username wrote:
abuss368 wrote:I believe it posts and updates over night. Tomorrow I would expect the data to be there.
As of a few minutes ago, VTSAX and VTIAX (the only two I checked) have listed their distributions in the appropriate tabs on the information pages.
TSM has a nice payout this quarter, Tint not as good as last one. But oh well, time to add some move funds and issue some buys to rebalance.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

If you buy more shares on or before the "record date", does that make you eligible to receive dividends for the recently purchased shares?

Or does this apply to the "ex-dividend date"?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

InvestorNewb wrote:If you buy more shares on or before the "record date", does that make you eligible to receive dividends for the recently purchased shares?

Or does this apply to the "ex-dividend date"?
Here you go: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65205 and specifically http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 50#p904650
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Overall not bad payouts. I would have liked to see Total International and International REITs pay out a little higher but as I understand it most international entities pay out at the end of the year....once and done.