Individual Stocks - Do you own any?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 244

Postby abuss368 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Simple poll - Does anyone own individuals stocks at all?

Do you have a favorite company (or two) and just can not resist the urge to invest (or speculate) in an individual stock?

If so, what company (or companies) are you invested in?

Berkshire (which is very popular on this forum), McDonald's, Wells Fargo, Waste Management, Coca Cola, etc.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Re: Individual Stocks - Do you own any?

Postby bengal22 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:11 pm

I have a few shares of company stock I was given way back when.
bengal22

Postby cflannagan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Voted no - not anymore.

Maybe one day when our windfall grows to x2 size, I will set aside "play money" and invest into individual stocks, but until now, no individual stocks for us.
cflannagan

Postby abuss368 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I read a recent Jack Bogle interview where he noted that he is 100% Vanguard funds now.

No individual stocks and I guess that also clears up and questions on if he invests in his sons small cap fund as has been speculated on the forum over the years.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby nedsaid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:25 pm

15% of my retirement portfolio is in individual stocks. Most are large cap blue chips that you would recognize. A few are companies that have a substantial presence in the region where I live. I own a couple of Timber REITs, one of which I have owned for about 25 years. I rarely trade these and pretty much collect the dividends. The dividends have been invested into bond funds in recent years. I have de-emphasized individual stocks in recent years, they are a smaller and smaller part of my holdings.

A bit over 25% of my holdings are in Index Funds and ETFs based on indexes. My biggest holding is a US Total Stock Market Index fund with an expense ratio of seven basis points. So I get indexing. I index more and more as I get older.
A fool and his money are good for business.
nedsaid

Postby Jfet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Just for this weekend I have over 10% of our taxable account in one single stock.

(this is beyond my control because it was a grant)
Jfet

Postby chaz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 pm

None for many years.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby abuss368 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 pm

I must say the poll results and comments are a little surprising for "Bogleheads" who I expected to be index funds and at least mutual funds with next to nothing in individual stock holdings.
abuss368

Postby nedsaid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 pm

I have taken extensive time on a few threads to help investors with investment questions. People that I thought I could help. In each case, I have been honest and upfront about what I have done with my own investments. And I have admitted to doing some un-Boglehead things. And I have been honest about my failings as an investor.

For many years, I have subscribed to most of the principles of the Bogleheads. The philosophy of this group resonates with me. I just don't index as much as what most Bogleheads do. I see the wisdom of indexing and do more and more of it as I get older.
nedsaid

Postby goldendad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Voted Yes. I own a fair number of high quality stocks that I have bought when they were out of favor - (KO, PEP, MMM, PFE, ADM, XOM, CVX, JNJ, MCD, GIS, K, etc.). I enjoy following it all and sell covered calls on some of them when the numbers make sense. Also, they generate an increasing dividend stream.
goldendad

Postby nedsaid » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 pm

Yes, yes. I like the dividends too.
nedsaid

Postby BradMajors » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Yes, I own a couple of stocks which have gone up about 2,000% and I don't want to pay taxes on them by selling.
BradMajors

Postby Garco » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 pm

At this time I don't own any individual stocks.

I have owned them in the past, like 30 years ago. But since then all my investments have been in mutual funds in a 401k.

I will own some individual stocks next week when they arrive as part of a bequest.

How long I will stick with those stocks remains to be seen.
Last edited by Garco on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garco

Postby MnD » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:00 am

Yes - about 20% of my taxable account is in 3 to 4 stocks for decades with a annual turnover of around 25%. My retirement accounts get the new money so while the taxable account and amount in individual stocks has grown, the % of overall portfolio in individual stocks has gradually diminished. I've been very satisfied with the results and enjoy it. :happy

Also have some Plum Creek Timber in an IRA but that's more like a sector fund. Wife has a small but annually increasing amount of vested and restricted private stock grants - nothing we can do about that other than hope the company is still in business with stock that's worth something when she hits the age where she can sell or diversify.
Last edited by MnD on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MnD

Postby Vittelx » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:21 am

Yes - a tiny amount compared to my entire PF. It's in the company where i work and i got them free of charge. I could sell them tax free if i wanted to, but i choose not to.
Vittelx

Postby CABob » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:30 am

Yes. For the most part these date back to my pre-Boglehead days. Nearly all of them would be considered blue chip, dividend paying stocks including remnants of a Dogs of the Dow trial, full service broker recommendations, former employers stock, etc. They all have unrealized capital gains and are paying dividends so I'm in no rush to sell, but, I probably will at some point just to simplify my portfolio.
Bob | An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Postby john94549 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:53 am

Used to own a few shares of UNH. Sold when they went up more than 6% in one day.
john94549

Postby IlliniDave » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 am

I answered yes due to a small amount of my employer's stock accumulated passively over the years. Total's about 1% of my invested assets.

I'm giving some thought to owning a small portfolio of individual stocks in the future with play money (assuming I have some play money someday :) ). I think it would be entertaining, and the ability to do some tax loss harvesting will come in handy. Mentally I categorize that more as a hobby than as investing per se; so I don't see it as mutually exclusive to Bogleheadism (which in and of itself is a fairly elusive thing to define).
Don't do something. Just stand there!
IlliniDave

Postby Sidney » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:49 am

< 2% of total holdings. Pre-Boglehead. Due to unrealized gains, will hold until it is time to donate them to our DAF.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby pennstater2005 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 am

I did. Didn't really enjoy it though because I spent way too much time watching my stocks go up and down. Much more comfortable with my Lifestrategy fund.
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them. Mitch Hedberg
pennstater2005

Postby nisiprius » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

From about 1966 through 2013, I have at various times and for various reasons owned a grand total of approximately 20 different individual stocks. My last and, I think, final stock transaction was a sale of 25 shares of General Electric in March of 2000.

OK, I did have a very small amount of company stock from the days I was in a Fortune 500 company which 15%-discounted employee stock purchase plan. I was in it to the tune of $5/month out of fear that my manager might get reports on participation and think poorly of me if I didn't participate. No such thing was ever suggested, but you start to think that way when you work in a big corporation. I certainly contributed the amount to United Way that was preprinted on some form as my "fair share" with the handy checkbox next to it, because at meetings I didn't want to be the only person in the room not wearing a little gold-toned miniature-paper-doll lapel pin. The company winked out of existence with stunning speed. There might have been brief opportunity to convert my couple-of-dozen shares into shares of a successor company which winked out of existence a few years later, but I didn't bother to do it. I had two physical stock certificates, sold one to scripophily.com for $9.95 which was higher than its terminal market value, kept the other as a souvenir.

I don't believe that should count.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby leonidas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:09 am

I have 100 shares of abt and its spinnoff abbv. I used to own hnz until the buyout. I still buy and sell individual issues that I think are a deep value but that is rare. Own Exc (loss), pbi(big gain) ccj (loss). Still less than 4% of portfolio so even if get a huge gain it will not matter one bit to my overall returns. So why do it? Entertainment value?
leonidas

Postby Raymond » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 am

Yes - inherited stocks in my pre-Boglehead days.

I'd like to sell them, but would take too much of a capital-gains tax hit.

Maybe I'll TLH them in the next Really Bad Year :D
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Raymond

Postby SpringMan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 am

Sold all our individual stocks many years back, they did did not treat us well. Still have a worthless stock, Global Light Telecommuniications, it can not be sold but it still shows up in our IRA brokerage account, reminding me of my past stupidity. Also we have some under water Hewlett Packard options, they were formerly EDS options but were converted when HP purchased EDS. Could have profited from the EDS options years ago but unfortunately decided it would be better to wait until I retired and in a lower tax bracket. Those options are likely going to be under water forever.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SpringMan

Postby louis c » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:15 am

MnD wrote:Yes - about 20% of my taxable account is in 3 to 4 stocks for decades with a annual turnover of around 25%. My retirement accounts get the new money so while the taxable account and amount in individual stocks has grown, the % of overall portfolio in individual stocks has gradually diminished. I've been very satisfied with the results and enjoy it. :happy

Also have some Plum Creek Timber in an IRA but that's more like a sector fund. Wife has a small but annually increasing amount of vested and restricted private stock grants - nothing we can do about that other than hope the company is still in business with stock that's worth something when she hits the age where she can sell or diversify.

Yep, me too: Plum Creek Timber
There is no free lunch.
louis c

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 pm

1 share of BRK.B for my Geico discount!

Oh, and $5 worth of a penny stock that is 1% of the value that I bought it all. :twisted:
zaboomafoozarg

Postby Clive » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Yes. Mostly all in individual stocks and bonds. Finite/small risk against each individual holding.
Clive

Postby 22twain » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:11 pm

I've never owned individual stocks myself, but my wife inherited some AT&T and "baby Bell" stock about ten years ago when her mother died. These are descendants of AT&T stock that her father got during his career there, before the AT&T breakup in the 1980s. She hasn't touched it, just collected dividends, as they further split and merged and morphed.

Fortunately we know what the "inventory" was when her mother died, and how much it was worth then. If we were to sell it all at once, the cost basis would be easy. Selling parts of it, on the other hand, with the shuffling that's been going on during the past decade... :oops:
22twain

Postby auntie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm

I have several that I've been selling some of at the end of each year when I figure out how my taxes will look. At this rate I may have them for quite a while. Some day I'll probably just sell what's left to simplify things.
High risk does not equal high reward. It equals high risk of no reward.
auntie

Postby RNJ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Nope.
RNJ

Postby Dadarkar » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm

None since 2009. Best thing I have done so I can ignore quarterly earnings and sleep well.
Dadarkar

Postby island » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Yes. Have a small amount in a couple of tech stocks purchased years ago. Husband's 401K employer match is in company stock. It's a large stake and checking if it's possible to move it to other fund options.
island

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:39 pm

I hold a mainly large value individual equity portfolio - very low turnover (<5% or lower) portfolio, it's a buy and hold. Many of these positions have been held over 15 years, have large gains, they are high quality blue chips purchased at low prices.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Park » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:50 pm

With a very small part of my portfolio, I shorted Tesla at $167 this week. The uncomfortable truth is that it's more fun than index investing :( .
Park

Postby Crustus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes, leftovers from dividend reinvestment plans.
Dogs have owners, cats staff
Crustus

Postby Toons » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Microsoft,Mcdonalds,Dominion Resources,Praxair Inc,Disney,Coca-Cola,Wal-Mart,Att,Johnson&Johnson :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Dale_G » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:39 pm

I own one stock (Plum Creek Timber - PCL) in my taxable account. It is less than 1% of my assets.

Why? PCL is a timber reit and the 4% dividend is treated as a capital gain. Since I have more capital loss carry-forwards than I will ever use, the dividends are effectively tax free, plus I get a little bit of inflation protection at the expense of a bit of non-diversified risk.

Some will note that anything less than 1% of a portfolio doesn't amount to much - and they are right. My position though, is that a little bit here and a little bit there adds up over time.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Dale_G

Postby nisiprius » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:42 pm

Park wrote:With a very small part of my portfolio, I shorted Tesla at $167 this week. The uncomfortable truth is that it's more fun than index investing :( .
I don't get the people who talk about "fun." It seems like expensive fun. Are you honestly saying you can't get more fun per dollar in some other way?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby Park » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:53 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Park wrote:With a very small part of my portfolio, I shorted Tesla at $167 this week. The uncomfortable truth is that it's more fun than index investing :( .
I don't get the people who talk about "fun." It seems like expensive fun. Are you honestly saying you can't get more fun per dollar in some other way?

Tesla reminds me of tech stocks around 2000; think Cisco. It may end up being expensive fun, but I think there's a reasonable chance it will be profitable fun :D .
Park

Postby abuss368 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:58 pm

I don't own any but I have had my eye on McDonald's!

I once read that McDonald's has minted more millionaires in the country via employees, owner/operators, and investors that any other company.
abuss368

Postby donall » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Crustus wrote:Yes, leftovers from dividend reinvestment plans.

Three, less than 1%
donall

Postby Bracket » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:04 pm

I answered yes just for .44% of my mid 6 figure portfolio that is in Coca Cola. I bought a very small amount 2 or 3 years ago based on something I read quoting Warren Buffett saying it was a good stock to hold forever. Since then I have gone all in with Boglehead style index investing, so I have no plans to buy individual stocks ever again. I do plan to keep the Coke forever though.
Bracket

Postby InvestorNewb » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 pm

None here. I wouldn't know what to buy.
Current Holdings: VTI, VXUS, VNQ, VCE (largest to smallest)
InvestorNewb

Postby magneto » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 am

Hold five stocks, one (at negative investment book cost, profit beyond infinity???) where I believe I have an inside industry knowledge edge and believe the company already succesful will eventually be taken over, the rest a motley residue of old actvity which one day will be sold.

Represents now in total less than 5% of stocks holding.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men ...', Brutus (Market Timer)
magneto

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Vanguard actually caused my foray into stocks. At the time, vanguard offered index funds covering the USA, Europe, Pacific region and emerging markets. Upon examining these index funds, I realized that Canada was not included in any of the indexes. Originally, I paid large commissions at TD Waterhouse to get this Canadian exposure. Given the large commissions, I ended up evaluating individual stocks. Yes, I went over to the dark side.

After it was bought by Ameritrade, I switched to Interactive Brokers. I now pay $1 for a trade in the USA or Canada. This has brought my er way down. I periodically run the numbers to see if I should create my own index funds.

PS I now have the opposite problem. I need to reduce my Canadian exposure. This has been made more difficult due to one lucky/brilliant trade. I am very lucky to have such a problem.
Oliver

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I don't now, but for many years I held a substantial position in my company's stock, which did very well for me. It was a well run company which grew steadily in revenue and earnings and the stock performed appropriately.

But once I retired (and assimilated the boglehead philosophy) I sold all of it.

I got out at the right time. The stock has gone sideways (with material ups and down) ever since.

I won't ever hold a single stock again.
Steelersfan

Postby Professor Emeritus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Personally went "bogle" in 1992 and never looked back.

DW and her dad were enthusiastic stock buyers. Recently ran "her" stocks against "our" index portfolio.
She could not identify a single 2 year period in which her portfolio did better since 1992. Even on a purely random basis there should have been a few.
but zip Nada. We have been selling he stocks as soon as we find the bases.
Professor Emeritus

Postby Toons » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 pm

abuss368 wrote:I don't own any but I have had my eye on McDonald's!

I once read that McDonald's has minted more millionaires in the country via employees, owner/operators, and investors that any other company.

FYI
"McDonald's has raised its dividend each and every year since paying its first dividend in 1976. Starting in 2008, dividends are paid on a quarterly basis." :sharebeer

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/inves ... dends.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby TimeRunner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 pm

105 Share of Google. Up about 110%. Would rather hold until retirement than take cap gains now. Hell of a problem to have. :beer
Hope is not a strategy.
TimeRunner

Postby bpp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 pm

abuss368 wrote:Simple poll - Does anyone own individuals stocks at all?

Yes, in a "DIY index fund."

Do you have a favorite company (or two) and just can not resist the urge to invest (or speculate) in an individual stock?

No.
bpp

Next

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General