Why You Need an Investment Philosophy.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
gkaplan

Why You Need an Investment Philosophy.

Post by gkaplan »

Having conviction in your belief system can help you act with discipline.

Christine Benz in her latest column quotes Rick Ferri.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/ ... ?id=607049
Gordon
nvboglehead

Re: Why You Need an Investment Philosophy.

Post by nvboglehead »

Gordon, this is a very good article. Thank you for posting.

Christine Benz wrote:
Find Your People
Another way to ensure that you don't stray from your philosophy, and in turn your strategy, is to find a community of like-minded individuals with whom you can share information. The Bogleheads online community, both on Morningstar.com and on the Bogleheads website, is the ultimate example. Index enthusiasts regularly swap portfolio-planning and other financial-management tips, and they also coach each other to stay on the right track. There are even two Bogleheads books and an annual Bogleheads conference.
I am very grateful to have found this community!

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
menlo

Post by menlo »

nvboglehead wrote:I am very grateful to have found this community!Dale
Me too! I'm not given to hyperbole, but this community really is amazing.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Gordon:

Thank you for your link to this important article.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Random Walker

Post by Random Walker »

I really believe in the importance of having conviction to stick with a chosen investment philosophy/plan. For me that conviction comes from knowledge of some financial history, some historic return data, and plausible risk and behavioral stories that I really believe in. Without the above and a reasonable dose of bonds, I would be far more likely to abandon my plan in bad times.

Dave
Last edited by Random Walker on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

nvboglehead wrote:Gordon, this is a very good article. Thank you for posting.

Christine Benz wrote:
Find Your People
Another way to ensure that you don't stray from your philosophy, and in turn your strategy, is to find a community of like-minded individuals with whom you can share information. The Bogleheads online community, both on Morningstar.com and on the Bogleheads website, is the ultimate example. Index enthusiasts regularly swap portfolio-planning and other financial-management tips, and they also coach each other to stay on the right track. There are even two Bogleheads books and an annual Bogleheads conference.

Dale
Same here. :sharebeer
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
chaz

Post by chaz »

G-Money wrote:
nvboglehead wrote:Gordon, this is a very good article. Thank you for posting.

Christine Benz wrote:
Find Your People

Dale
Same here. :sharebeer
I also agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
xyz12

Post by xyz12 »

Thanks for posting! Great article.