The Truth About TSP F and G Funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander »

An article I stumbled across recently on the MOAA website. Should help contribute to the stampede out of bonds and bond funds.
Are you a TSP contributor? Are you sitting in the G Fund; or maybe the F Fund? Did you know you are losing money?... With returns like these by the time you factor in taxes and inflation, you are losing money... The lesson? Being safe and conservative does not build wealth
Superficial analysis coupled with a recommendation to pile on the stocks. No issues that Bogleheads aren't already aware of. For what it's worth:

I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.
Blues

Re: The Truth About TSP F and G Funds

Post by Blues »

It's unfortunate that the victims of this sort of myopic and incomplete advice are those (by and large unsophisticated) investors that can least afford to follow it. I guess it would have been too much trouble to flesh out and present the big picture.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

TSP G is for those that are more concerned with the return of their money, than the return on their money.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

This is true of most fixed-income investments, especially in current conditions. You'll be lucky to keep up with inflation. Over the past few years, the G Fund has been particularly poor. However, it's looking a lot better now. It's finally caught up to the Stable-Value fund at MyMegaCorp as far as rate. From a peek at the Treasury yield curve, I expect that G will look even better in a few days.

Brian
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

First Command?
Gordon
MnD

Post by MnD »

Horrible funds, just horrible! :mrgreen:

G Fund
F Fund
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

I might agree with just the last sentence in that quote. Being safe and conservative by heavily allocating into F fund and/or G fund do not build wealth. They help to maintain your wealth that you've acquired from riskier assets such as stocks