Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Here goes nothing...
- The US government has long been complaining that the Chinese government is manipulating their currency ... that is, deliberately weakening it and as a result strengthening the dollar. So if that changes, it only means the US government is finally getting what it wants.
- Also note that Japan has a much higher debt to GDP ratio than the US, in spite of its currency not being nearly as widely used as a reserve currency.
- Predictions that the rise of Asian economies would make gold prices surge have been around a long, long time.
- Posts: 964
- Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 am
In my view, the connection between gold and the global monetary system is gone. Wishing is not going to make it come back.
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
- Posts: 3361
- Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm
It's amazing that other countries with similar or higher Debt:GDP ratios and without the world's reserve currency aren't post-apocalyptic hellscapes!
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 pm
This thread is off-topic and locked (economics and politics). See: Forum Policy
UNACCEPTABLE TOPICSPolitics and ReligionIn order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
The only exceptions to this rule are:
Non-actionable (Trolling) TopicsIf readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here.
- Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
- Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
- Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
- Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
- US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
- conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
- discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 22729
- Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
- Location: Philadelphia
Return to Investing - Theory, News & General
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: BicycleLover, BogleInvestorLondon, Bracket, goingup, jay22, midareff, mike1o, pauliec84, PecuniaryPeccary, Rick Ferri, Sidesummy, Tamales, verbose and 62 guests