Best online portfolio viewing site?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Best online portfolio viewing site?

Postby boggler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 pm

What's the best site to get a handle on your portfolio all in one place?

Fidelity Fullview?
Vanguard outside accounts?
Mint?
Personal Capital?
Something else?

To date I still haven't found one that I actually like, although I haven't really tried Fidelity's yet. What do you use?
boggler

Re: Best online portfolio viewing site?

Postby stan1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Build your own Google Docs spreadsheet.
stan1

Postby cosimdm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Fidelity Fullview used to be good. They have "updated" (aka destroyed it) in the last week or so, and even the telephone representatives don't know how to use it. They have gotten so many complaints that they are revising it again. Don't expect anything for a couple of weeks.
cosimdm

Postby madbrain » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Quicken , on my desktop at home.
Yes, I know, it is not a site. But it works.
madbrain

Postby rotorhead » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Unread postby madbrain » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:48 pm
Yes, I know, it is not a site. But it works.

madbrain

+1. Takes a bit of get accustomed to; but it's really not a bad program.
rotorhead

Postby shepherd » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 pm

+1
stan1 wrote:Build your own Google Docs spreadsheet.
shepherd

Postby RNJ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 pm

shepherd wrote:+1

Can quotes be downloaded directly to the spreadsheet, or must it be done manually?

Thanks
RNJ

Postby Rainier » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:55 pm

RNJ wrote:
shepherd wrote:+1

Can quotes be downloaded directly to the spreadsheet, or must it be done manually?

Thanks

Quotes are automatic in google docs.

Can someone post an example of what their spreadsheet contains in google?
- Bill
Rainier

Postby tipswatcher » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Yeah, for me too. I use Yahoo Finance and its portfolio tool to check on my 'play money' stocks and the overall market. But I consider the desktop Quicken much more secure and it's an amazing time-saving tool for overall spending and investments, end of year reports, tracking trends, etc.
TIPS: Perfect investment for imperfect times?
tipswatcher

Postby German Expat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Don't have the time to take the data out of mine but my first tab has the ticker symbol in column A, e.g. VTSAX is in row 17

So column A would be : VTSAX
column B is: =GOOGLEfinance(A17,"name")
column C is: =GoogleFinance(A17;"expenseratio")
column D is: =GoogleFinance(A17;"return52")
column E is: =GoogleFinance(A17)
column F is the number of shares I own (manually entered once a month)
column G is: =F17*E17

I then add column H manually to classify the type manually (e.g. I EM for International Emerging Market).

I then use the data to create a crosstab using the type and then use this to analyze my asset allocation with absolute and percentage deviation from the target to help me re balance or to decide what to buy new.

Here are some tips and tricks for googlefinance

http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... oogle.html

I am curious how others built their spreadsheet.
German Expat

Postby bzcat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I also build mine in google docs. The funds/ETFs run across the columns, and I use a row for each separate account (roth, 401K, IRA, taxable, brokerage, HSA). Many securities are split across multiple accounts (based on room and tax rules) but the spreadsheet sums up the total shares across accounts, and gives me the current weights vs my target percentages.
bzcat

Postby bengal22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I use the portfolio watch on Vanguard. I just have to update shares when there is a change through dividends, distributions, or exchanges.
bengal22

Postby bengal22 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I use the portfolio watch on Vanguard. I just have to update shares when there is a change through dividends, distributions, or exchanges.
bengal22

Postby SLH » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I have been using portfolio-hub.com to track my portfolio.
SLH

Postby umfundi » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:23 pm

Yodlee?

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Postby Cash » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 pm

I monitor my overall portfolio with my Google spreadsheet. I keep track of transactions in a Google Finance portfolio. I used to use Yahoo Finance, but switched to Google several years ago. If I were to start again, I would stay with Yahoo Finance (mainly b/c even when you liquidate a position in Google, it continues to display the ticker in the portfolio).
Cash

Postby niceguy7376 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 pm

How about your opinion on sigfig site?
niceguy7376

Postby Oliver » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Recently, I have been using Morningstar at the T Rowe Price website. Vanguard classifies an etf or fund in one style category. If you use the Morningstar tool at T Rowe Price, it will give the proportion of the fund in each of the nine style boxes. It will also aggregate this info to the portfolio level.

PS You do have to manually enter the funds and shares you own.
PPS I read here that you can get access even if you do not own any funds at the T Rowe Price. I still have a Latin American fund from long ago.
Last edited by Oliver on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:41 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:How about your opinion on sigfig site?

I use the sigfig android application. However, I only use it check my portfolio balance. It does pull info from a number of brokerages and vangaurd.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:45 pm

bengal22 wrote:I use the portfolio watch on Vanguard. I just have to update shares when there is a change through dividends, distributions, or exchanges.

I assume that you have a brokerage account or retirement account that can not be linked.
Oliver

Postby Default User BR » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't. There's no way to include the funds at MyMegaCorp, so over 40% of the portfolio would either be missing or require a calculation of some sort of proxy. What I do is use a spreadsheet I devised that takes a number of "export" or "download" spreadsheets from brokerages and one I update for the 401(k) by pasting in a table copied from the web display.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby ssquared87 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:11 pm

WSJ Portfolio isn't bad. Its like Mint in that it links to your accounts and gives you real time values, asset allocations etc. Its pretty good, doesn't do everything I would like, but is better than Mint at giving a high level summary and asset allocation. The only problem I have is that the asset allocation is off for the S&P 500 index fund I use through my 401k...classifies it as "Other" You can adjust manually, but I'd rather just be able to specify that the allocation should equal the S&P
ssquared87

Postby pop77 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

I recently tried CNN's new portfolio and it is ok. The computerized investing magazine AAII mentioned it in their latest newsletter. The newsletter claimed the site has lots of reports but I could not see any. This is powered by sigfig.

Anyone tried this? This portfolio automatically pulls info from your 401k and brokerages.
pop77

Postby pascalwager » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 am

I use the VG portfolio watch and also a personal Google spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is manual-entry only, but displays lots of asset class percentages that aid decision-making.
pascalwager

Postby Clive » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:54 am

With this googledocs spreadsheet you just enter all your transactions in the TRADE sheet (buys, sells, dividends etc.) and enter the same EPIC(s) on a single line in the CURRENT sheet together with either manually or automatically (via googlefinance) enter the current share price(s), and the CURRENT sheet will summarise all of the trades/activity/gains etc.

http://tinyurl.com/qbqglsg

I believe it can be downloaded as either Excel (xls) or OpenOffice (ods). Or just copy it into your own googledocs library.

I'm a UK investor, so some of the prices retrieved are adjusted for currency conversion. For example the BRK-B listings price retrieval is converted into GB pence

=(googlefinance("BRK.B","price")/googlefinance("currency:GBPUSD"))*100

Whereas if you just wanted to leave that in US $ you'd leave out the divisor part

=(googlefinance("BRK.B","price"))
Clive

Postby Sammy_M » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:16 am

German Expat wrote:I then add column H manually to classify the type manually (e.g. I EM for International Emerging Market).

I then use the data to create a crosstab using the type and then use this to analyze my asset allocation with absolute and percentage deviation from the target to help me re balance or to decide what to buy new.

I am curious how others built their spreadsheet.

I use a similar approach, then add a few more things. Here is an earlier version of mine (with fictitious data).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... a0E#gid=17
Sammy_M

Postby maxim81 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:23 am

Personal Capital for me.. and Mint for non-investment expenses.
maxim81

Postby max12377 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:40 am

I also use Vanguard Portfolio Watch. Since joining this site I went from a complex ungainly mess of funds, stocks & etf's to 5 or 6 funds. Portfolio watch spits out my Stock/Bond/Cash ratio with ease. I just have to add my non-VG to the 'Outside Investments'. Simple. As I get better at this I find that reducing complexity is key. Outside of simplicity, my focus has been on my risk tolerance (from which I derive my AA), tax efficiency, and lowest possible costs. One thing I like about vanguard's website is it will tell you that you 'saved' $xxxx dollars with Vanguard funds relative to your average higher cost mutual funds. I know that the money I saved there will be in the market working for me and not funding some investment person's new boat :moneybag .
max12377

Postby leonidas » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:48 am

I have been using Personal Capitol and Mint. Earlier in the year I setup my portfolio in JemStep and it give a very good breakdown of allocation. It also, tries to recommend different funds if their system determines mine are not optimal. Don't really follow the recommendations bu they are there. I only check it about once a month.
leonidas

Postby peppers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:18 am

GPS at Fidelity works for me.
On the expense side, I look at the online banking page and see what kind of mischief my lovely wife has been up to.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers

Postby Gleevec » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 am

Are there any free portfolio sites that sync your portfolio only to your iphone/ipad as well (that has charting etc)

I have not found a good one
Gleevec

Postby maxim81 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:24 am

Gleevec wrote:Are there any free portfolio sites that sync your portfolio only to your iphone/ipad as well (that has charting etc)

I have not found a good one

Personal Capital is one..There are also others: SigFig, Betterment, Wealthfront, JemStep
maxim81

Postby Oliver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:39 pm

max12377 wrote: One thing I like about vanguard's website is it will tell you that you 'saved' $xxxx dollars with Vanguard funds relative to your average higher cost mutual funds. I know that the money I saved there will be in the market working for me and not funding some investment person's new boat :moneybag .
I also use Vanguard's portfolio watch. Unfortunately, the expense ratio for non vangaurd funds is sometimes overstated.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/conten ... merJSP.jsp

Expense ratio disclaimer
Non-Vanguard fund expense ratio data provided by Morningstar are for the fund's latest fiscal year and may vary from current expense ratios. Such data do not reflect fee waivers, expense recoupments, or expense reimbursements, which the applicable fund manager may discontinue at any time. For more complete information about fees and expenses, see the fee table in the fund's prospectus. Vanguard is not responsible for the accuracy or timeliness of third-party data.
Oliver

Postby bengal22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Oliver wrote:
bengal22 wrote:I use the portfolio watch on Vanguard. I just have to update shares when there is a change through dividends, distributions, or exchanges.

I assume that you have a brokerage account or retirement account that can not be linked.

I have a Fidelity account and a small checking account. Not sure how to link actually.
bengal22

Postby Oliver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Oliver wrote:

I have a Fidelity account and a small checking account. Not sure how to link actually.
My apologies, I had not realized that linking to outside accounts was no longer offered. If I had to manually enter all values, I would enter them in the Morningstar tool at T Rowe Price. I would not bother with the vangaurd watch tool.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... tent.jsp#j
Linked Online Accounts. Part of Outside Investments, Linked Online Accounts can display information on your total financial picture, including investments, banking, and credit card accounts—as well as mortgages held by banks or credit unions—in addition to your Vanguard portfolio. It retrieves your outside account data electronically, and displays the information in a separate browser window, taking careful steps to protect your security. You can have your accounts updated automatically by storing your user names and passwords online or, if you prefer, you can type in this information each time you wish to update your accounts. Linked Online Accounts service is closed to new enrollments. However, shareholders who are currently enrolled in the service may continue to use it without interruption until otherwise notified by Vanguard. Certain employer retirement plans that have previously opted to make this service available to their participants may continue to offer it until otherwise notified by Vanguard.
Oliver

Postby travellight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 pm

I use Mint. It is very useful for monitoring all my credit card accounts for when a late fee posts.... usually with a new account/card where autopay wasn't set up yet.
travellight

Postby dyangu » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:34 pm

I use futureadvisor.com gives me asset allocation analysis across all my accounts. I think Personal Capital is similar.
dyangu

Postby midareff » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I use M* for statistics such as 12M Total Return, 12 Total Dividend, etc., besides things like daily share price to export to my data linked Excel spreadsheet.
midareff

Postby Market345 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:18 pm

One key thing that I find really useful in Quicken is the "ROI %" column in the Investing tab (use the "Value" view): this shows the (un)realized gain plus the dividends collected so far = my total return on the stock. By comparing it to the adjacent "Gain/Loss %" column, I can also quickly see how much return I've gotten just from dividends. Many times when I'm evaluating the performance of a stock, I find it very useful to look at the total return and not just the appreciation of the stock.
Market345

Postby sschullo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:28 pm

midareff wrote:I use M* for statistics such as 12M Total Return, 12 Total Dividend, etc., besides things like daily share price to export to my data linked Excel spreadsheet.

+1
I trade so little and don't have to tweak my portfolio, I have used M* for almost 20 years. I download the data to excel for illustrations. Its straight forward.
“It’s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.” - John Wooden
sschullo

Postby Electron » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm

German Expat wrote:Here are some tips and tricks for googlefinance
http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... oogle.html

Does anyone know if that list is complete? I've seen the attribute "yieldpct" listed in another thread but it does not appear to work today.

I've been using standard Excel spreadsheets with simple Macros to download quotes or historical data from Yahoo Finance.
Electron
Electron

Postby Supermercado » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:47 pm

I usually use Fidelity Full View. That's more out of necessity than anything, as my 401k is through Fidelity and I'm not sure why, but our options in the 401k aren't mutual funds with ticker symbols. The exact wording is: "The fund is invested in a stock portfolio that mirrors the S&P 500® Index. The investment option is a collective investment trust. It is managed by Northern Trust." So it's basically the S&P 500 but it isn't Fidelity's fund, whatever that ticker is. But because of that, anything that I connect to - Mint, for example - doesn't track the 401k options correctly. In this case, Mint shows OBLM as the ticker symbol for this S&P 500 fund but OBLM isn't a real thing so I can't just track it at another site.

I'd love to have my own Google Docs spreadsheet customized how I want it but I don't know of a way to do that. Anyone have any suggestions given the circumstances?
Supermercado

Postby maxim81 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Supermercado wrote:I usually use Fidelity Full View. That's more out of necessity than anything, as my 401k is through Fidelity and I'm not sure why, but our options in the 401k aren't mutual funds with ticker symbols. The exact wording is: "The fund is invested in a stock portfolio that mirrors the S&P 500® Index. The investment option is a collective investment trust. It is managed by Northern Trust." So it's basically the S&P 500 but it isn't Fidelity's fund, whatever that ticker is. But because of that, anything that I connect to - Mint, for example - doesn't track the 401k options correctly. In this case, Mint shows OBLM as the ticker symbol for this S&P 500 fund but OBLM isn't a real thing so I can't just track it at another site.

I'd love to have my own Google Docs spreadsheet customized how I want it but I don't know of a way to do that. Anyone have any suggestions given the circumstances?

Use one of the links provided in an earlier post (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120029&p=1758579#p1758579)

File Menu > Download As > XLS

Save a copy and enter your own info.. play with it..

then upload it to your docs.google.com account.. and that should be it.
maxim81

Postby Doc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Market345 wrote:One key thing that I find really useful in Quicken is the "ROI %" column in the Investing tab (use the "Value" view): this shows the (un)realized gain plus the dividends collected so far = my total return on the stock.

I think Quicken is the Cat's meow but I virtually never look at the ROI column. As a matter of fact I even "customized" that column out of the value display. LOL
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer. Investing is not a science.
Doc

Postby Supermercado » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:29 am

maxim81 wrote:Use one of the links provided in an earlier post (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120029&p=1758579#p1758579)

File Menu > Download As > XLS

Save a copy and enter your own info.. play with it..

then upload it to your docs.google.com account.. and that should be it.

Thanks, I'll take a look!
Supermercado

Postby ftobin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:22 pm

With the exception of Vanguard's Portfolio Watch, are there any sites which break out asset-subclasses well? For instance, most sites clump all international stocks together, and do not provide a breakdown of your emerging markets percentage.
ftobin

Postby Oliver » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 pm

ftobin wrote:With the exception of Vanguard's Portfolio Watch, are there any sites which break out asset-subclasses well? For instance, most sites clump all international stocks together, and do not provide a breakdown of your emerging markets percentage.
the Morningstar star tool at T Rowe Price does. I mentioned it upthread of your post. Each fund is broken down into percentage in asset subclasses. The detailed info is summarized in the portfolio.

I like the value - growth /small - large breakdown. The world region breakdown I do not like as well. The classification is not based on asset classes rather by geographic region. I find the region breakdown useful but i need to use another tool to split out emerging markets percentage.

This is the world region breakdown.

North America
UK/Western Europe
Japan
Latin America
Asia ex-Japan 
Other
Oliver

Postby akpk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:39 pm

I looked into several options and was very uncomfortable sharing my login info with any aggregator websites ( Fidelity fullview uses services from third party named Yodlee.)

I am excel novice but decided to look into building some simple portfolio spreadsheet. I found one excellent template from user "Femur" in our forum and decided to use it. My customized version is available here if anyone needs such spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AstcacvZwjb-dDNMd280eDI4OXlJRWJ4V2lhYXFJd3c&usp=sharing

Thank you Femur! Thank you Bogleheads! :sharebeer
akpk

Postby sperry8 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:34 am

I use Vanguard - they allow outside investments to be added (I show my Fidelity, TD Ameritrade accts there as well as bank accts). It closely aligns with Google Docs (although it doesn't show many of the things I like to see).

For that, I use M* to show all my funds/etfs. Shows a much better outlay of things I care about (history, taxes, performance, expense ratio, etc). But doesn't handle cash or other assets well.

As such, and finally, I use Google Docs for daily updating of net worth, including all cash, pe and everything else.

Good luck!
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance.
sperry8

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General