Thank you for saving me once again

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Thank you for saving me once again

Postby stemikger » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 pm

To all my fellow Bogleheads. Thank you once again for saving me from myself. My style when I'm conflicted with a decision is to come on these boards and play Devil's Advocate. For the first time since I have been investing (19 years) this has been the first time I even had second thoughts about holding my bond fund. Over the past few years here I have changed my AA several times. I know this is not the thing to do, but mostly it was so minor and it really didn't matter. For the most part I have Stayed the Course.

This last time after hearing Warren Buffett talk about a 55 year old should be 100% stocks I really needed to come here and have you folks convince me not to do it. I came pretty close.

So a big thank you for keeping me on track and Staying The Course.

I feel I am good for the next five years and hopefully the next decade.
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Re: Thank you for saving me once again

Postby livesoft » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Who to believe? Warren Buffett or Jack Bogle or someone else?
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Taylor Larimore » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm

stemikger:

And "thank you" for contributing over 1600 posts helping the rest of us become better investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Your welcome, when can I expect your next post on asset allocation? :wink:
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby danwhite77 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 pm

livesoft wrote:Who to believe? Warren Buffett or Jack Bogle or someone else?

Personally, I believe them both. I'm 100% equities, mostly in Vanguard index funds! :P

Having followed them both closely for a number of years now, I'm struck by how their philosophies are very much in harmony in some respects, and very divergent in others.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
danwhite77

Postby stemikger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Your welcome, when can I expect your next post on asset allocation? :wink:

LOL. Only time will tell. :D :beer
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby stemikger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:

stemikger:

And "thank you" for contributing over 1600 posts helping the rest of us become better investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Taylor as I said in previous posts, I appreciate your mentorship. The thought of me helping anyone here is far fetched, but believe it or not, I once did receive an e-mail from someone wanting my advice. My response to them was to follow the advice of Taylor Larimore!! You are a kind and wise man and I am honored to know you.

P.S. Give Pat my regards.

Steve G. :beer
Stay the Course!
stemikger

Postby dickenjb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:13 am

I think 100% equities is fine for a working person with the temperament and cool headedness of Warren Buffett.

Unfortunately very few have the temperament and cool headedness of Warren Buffett.
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb

Postby Gauntlet » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 am

I think it is very challenging not to tinker with ones portfolio when one is very into personal finance and is constantly digesting new investing ideas. Personally, I made a rule in my IPS that states that I am only aloud to tinker with my portfolio once a year. It is sad that I had to do this but it works for me. Typically, when the time comes around when I allow myself to tinker, I find that whatever changes I wanted to make earlier in the year I no longer want to make and I end up doing nothing. It is almost comical.
Gauntlet

Postby staythecourse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am

livesoft wrote:Who to believe? Warren Buffett or Jack Bogle or someone else?

That is easy both and neither at the same time. As I have said before it is foolish to ever follow anyone just because they say so. Any intellectual person will listen to all pros and cons on either side, think about how it would affect them (worst case and best case scenarios), and then make a decision that is best for them and their particular situation.

Good luck.

p.s. to the OP, what I have learned throughout life is if there is a decision that is neck and neck after much contemplation the tie breaker is usually what is more conservative or less expensive.
...we all think we're above average investors just like we all think we're above average dressers... -Jack Bogle
staythecourse

Postby Leif » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm

danwhite77 wrote:
Personally, I believe them both. I'm 100% equities, mostly in Vanguard index funds! :P

Since you believe them both, which for Bogle includes age in bonds, that means you are 0 years old. Very impressive skills for someone so young!
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore
Leif

Postby z3r0c00l » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Warren Buffett is not an expert on the topic so his opinion has no bearing on what you should do. Unlike many other investing issues, this really is a personal choice. You can review the risk potential for different AAs and decide which one you can live with. There is little benefit to going below 80/20 so I would consider that a firm floor for anyone over 30. Age-10 in bonds suits me well enough and at 55 I would certainly want 60/40 or better.
z3r0c00l

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General