Consistent spikes on VNQI price

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Consistent spikes on VNQI price

Postby DaveG » Wed May 22, 2013 11:25 am

I've noticed that the daily price chart of VNQI (Vanguard Global ex-US Real Estate ETF) consistently has significant, brief spikes. Every day, it seems, there are 4 or 5 short-lived jumps in price. Can anyone explain what might be causing such behavior? I ask only because I am curious, not because I plan to take any action based on this phenomenon. It's just that I don't remember ever seeing a price chart that has similar behavior.

Here's a link to yahoo finance 5-day price chart. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=VNQI+Basic+Chart&t=5d
DaveG

Re: Consistent spikes on VNQI price

Postby inbox788 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:06 pm

The spikes you see are relatively small, maybe 3%? It's a relatively illiquid fund, I would have thought more? Only 100,000 shares are traded on average. That's less than $10m a day, so a fund buying $1m might cause the spike. Also, I've seen data errors where time is wrong show up as brief spikes. Could be both effects.
inbox788

Postby G-Money » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Could be liquidity. Could be the mind's tendency to find patterns where none exist. How consistent are these spikes? Every day? Multiple times a day? Once per week? How significant is significant? A 1% spike? 5%? How persistent is this trend? I'd look back over more than just the last 5 trading days.

I use mutual funds, so I've never spent much time thinking about liquidity or daily price movements.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
G-Money

Postby MnD » Wed May 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I'd guess the spikes are small retail investors entering "market" buy orders instead of entering limit orders around the mid-point of the bid-ask spread.
MnD

Postby livesoft » Wed May 22, 2013 5:08 pm

I've noticed that this week Yahoo intraday charts and quotes are messed up for some ETFs.

Whenever I see something unusual like the spikes you mention, I try a different source for the same info.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby DaveG » Wed May 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks Livesoft. You're right....looking at the chart on Google Finance shows a different, less-spiky picture.
DaveG

Postby grabiner » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

MnD wrote:I'd guess the spikes are small retail investors entering "market" buy orders instead of entering limit orders around the mid-point of the bid-ask spread.

While that isn't the situation for this particular fund, it is a common phenomenon with low-volume ETFs. For example, look at the May 17 chart for EEMS:

http://quote.morningstar.com/etf/chart. ... region=USA

Most of the morning trades were around $51.10, but someone probably placed a market order to sell and sold at $50.31.

The way to protect yourself against being on the wrong side of one of these trades is to use only limit orders for low-volume ETFs. If you place a market order to sell into a spread of $49.95-$50.05, but someone else accepts the $49.95 order before you place your order, you will sell at the next-best offer, which might be $49.93 but also might be $49.00. If you place a limit order to sell at $49.95 and the buy order at $49.95 is no longer there, you'll see what the new order is and can accept it or wait for other orders to arrive.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)