Price on Amazon.com yesterday? (Pre-order Guarantee)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Price on Amazon.com yesterday? (Pre-order Guarantee)

Postby runner9 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 am

I preordered a DVD a few weeks ago and it arrived yesterday. It had pre-sale guarantee (or whatever they call it) that if the price went down before the end of the first day of release they'd refund the different.

Stupid me didn't look yesterday (the release date), but today's it about $6.50 less than I paid. Is there a site or a way to see what they were selling it for yesterday?

Thanks!
Last edited by runner9 on Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner9

Re: Price on Amazon.com yesterday?

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 am

Contact Amazon. In my experience, they're honest.
TomatoTomahto

Postby vital15 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

Try camelcamelcamel.com
vital15

Postby runner9 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks! That site says it dropped to it's current price at 3:44am on May 20, which makes sense as the Best Buy ad lists it for the same price in Sunday's ad.

I'll send amazon an e-mail when I get a chance.

Thanks!
runner9

Postby Ged » Wed May 22, 2013 10:09 am

Usually Amazon will send an email within 48 hours containing a notice of a credit.

If they don't shoot an email.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Ged

Postby runner9 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks, I already wrote them less than 2 hours ago and received the following e-mail, in part:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on item. I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us.

Since the price of the item has changed within seven days of the delivery of the order, I've issued a refund for the price difference in the amount of $6.97. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund request here:

Thanks everyone!
runner9

Postby runner9 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Just an update:

I first e-mailed asking for a refund of the difference.

They responded that yes, they would refund it.

They credited $6.97 to our gift card balance.

They then sent a form e-mail saying I qualified for a refund of $6.97 for the pre-order guarantee.

They credited $6.97, for a second time.

I e-mailed to say they credited $6.97 twice instead of once.

They wrote back asking for clear permission to charge our gift card balance $6.97.

They deducted $6.97 from the balance.

Lesson learned: just wait for pre-order guarantee e-mail to come through, it came through within 48 hours, as someone had already posted, but I'd already sent the initial e-mail.

Thanks everyone!
runner9

Re: Price on Amazon.com yesterday? (Pre-order Guarantee)

Postby nisiprius » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

In my limited experience, Amazon has been flawless on price guarantees and on returns. Amazon may have some evil aspects, but they are not cheap chiselers. I made my first purchase from Amazon in 1996--in part because of an interview in which Bill Gates said he'd tried them and they seemed "very reliable." I used the Lynx character-oriented browser to look up the book and placed the actual order by phone. So far, they've lived up to Bill Gates' testimonial.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby TomatoTomahto » Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm

They have been completely above-board with me on every order. At one point I looked it up, and I had spent more than $20,000 with them. We are probably up to $30,000 now. I think the corporate culture is about being honest and decent; they walk the walk.
TomatoTomahto

Postby German Expat » Thu May 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Amazon and Costco are the 2 companies I buy stuff from without any regrets because I feel they treat their customers fair. Might not always be the best price but they did earn their reputation for a reason.
German Expat

Postby pennstater2005 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 pm

I've had nothing but great customer service from Amazon. And I love the fact they have live chat so I can handle my returns or refunds right on the computer without having to go through a call menu or be placed on hold.
To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities. - Bruce Lee
pennstater2005

Postby Go Blue 99 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am

Go to www.camelcamelcamel.com

You can see price change history for any product Amazon sells.
Go Blue 99

Postby whodatheads » Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:They have been completely above-board with me on every order. At one point I looked it up, and I had spent more than $20,000 with them. We are probably up to $30,000 now. I think the corporate culture is about being honest and decent; they walk the walk.

Did you sum up the total of your purchase yourself or there is a place where such sum is shown?
whodatheads

Postby dbcoop » Fri May 24, 2013 1:09 pm

1-866-216-1073 is Amazon CS. They seem outstanding, considering many others today. :D Good Luck!
A computer is essentially a file cabinet with an electric typewriter and a television attached to it.
dbcoop

Postby VGSailor » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm

whodatheads wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:They have been completely above-board with me on every order. At one point I looked it up, and I had spent more than $20,000 with them. We are probably up to $30,000 now. I think the corporate culture is about being honest and decent; they walk the walk.

Did you sum up the total of your purchase yourself or there is a place where such sum is shown?

Go to My Account...under Order Management, you should see 5 lines down "Download Order Report". The rest should be straightforward.
VGSailor

Return to Personal Consumer Issues