WSJ discussion on retirement [Self-directed IRA]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

WSJ discussion on retirement [Self-directed IRA]

Postby VennData » Sat May 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Forget your 401(k) plan. The big money today is building nest eggs on everything from show horses to rock bands

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323372504578467133425317620.html

This paper has not got its reader's best interest at heart. I just don't think they are a credible source.
VennData

Re: WSJ discussion on retirement

Postby LadyGeek » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

In case the link disappears behind a paywall, you can access it for free via Google: a nervy approach to retirement saving site:wsj.com - Google Search, click on the first link.

I found a credible source, the SEC: Investor Alert: Self-Directed IRAs and the Risk of Fraud

A self-directed IRA is an IRA held by a trustee or custodian that permits investment in a broader set of assets than is permitted by most IRA custodians.

Most IRA custodians are banks and broker-dealers that limit the holdings in IRA accounts to firm-approved stocks, bonds, mutual funds and CDs. Custodians and trustees for self-directed IRAs, however, may allow investors to invest retirement funds in other types of assets such as real estate, promissory notes, tax lien certificates, and private placement securities.

While self-directed IRAs may offer investors access to an array of private investment opportunities that are not available through other IRA providers, investments in these kinds of assets may have unique risks that investors should consider. Those risks can include a lack of disclosure and liquidity -- as well as the risk of fraud.

Somewhat less credible is Wikipedia, but it contained the SEC reference: Self-Directed IRA

I also retitled your thread.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: WSJ discussion on retirement [Self-directed IRA]

Postby grok87 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 pm

VennData wrote:
Forget your 401(k) plan. The big money today is building nest eggs on everything from show horses to rock bands

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323372504578467133425317620.html

This paper has not got its reader's best interest at heart. I just don't think they are a credible source.

agree
grok, CFA | Danon delenda est
grok87

Re: WSJ discussion on retirement [Self-directed IRA]

Postby gerrym51 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

its a financial paper. it has articles on all sorts of financial things and some are riskier than others. the greater the risk the greater the return. that mantra is repeated on this website constantly. some people are bigger risk takers. I would not do this but someone else might
gerrym51

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General