For those who have TSP accounts, how often do you rebalance

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

How often do you change your AA when dealing with your TSP account?

Poll ended at Sun May 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Seldom if ever, I let her ride
32%
Once or twice a year
28%
Once a quarter
8%
Once a month
8%
Twice a month
4%
Depends on bands
12%
As often as I can
No votes
Other (please explain below)
8%

Total votes: 25

Topic Author
backofbeyond

For those who have TSP accounts, how often do you rebalance

Post by backofbeyond »

If you have access to TSP, you can make two changes per month to any combo of funds (C, I, F, S, G, or lifecycle funds). After these two trades, you can only shift $ into the G. It costs nothing to change, so how often do you "normally" rebalance back to your AA? And why?

Reference Source: https://www.tsp.gov/planparticipation/i ... IFTs.shtml

I put this under the Theory area vs personal finance, because of the fact there isn't any type of transaction fee to make the first two changes and subsequent changes to the G fund. So in theory, won't one want to rebalance as often as is allowed? If not, then why not?
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
dharrythomas

Re: For those who have TSP accounts, how often do you rebala

Post by dharrythomas »

Everyday or Never, I'm not sure how you'd want to define it so take your pick. I use LifeCycle 2030, it rebalances with new contributions to maintain a static asset allocation that once a quarter is rolled to a less agressive allocation.
Blues

Post by Blues »

These days I use my TSP account strictly for access to "G" so there's no need for me to rebalance within that account.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I rebalance my TSP holdings when I rebalancing my whole portfolio. I don't look at my TSP holdings independently of my other investments.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

My Life Cycle 2020 account rebalances daily.

Best wishes,
Harry at Bradenton
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

My TSP account consists solely of the G Fund, so any portfolio rebalancing I do is in my Vanguard Roth.
Gordon
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I do what Gordon does.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bayview

Post by bayview »

Your poll asks one thing, and your thread title another.

Are you asking about rebalancing or changing the AA?

For rebalancing, I just change the allocations of future contributions to get things back where I want them. It's simpler, and there's no limitation on the number of changes.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
red5

Post by red5 »

I'm with Victoria, Gordon and Blues.
Topic Author
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

bayview wrote:Your poll asks one thing, and your thread title another.

Are you asking about rebalancing or changing the AA?

For rebalancing, I just change the allocations of future contributions to get things back where I want them. It's simpler, and there's no limitation on the number of changes.

Bay agreed. Sorry, I mean rebalance. Thanks for the catch!
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
StaTiK

Post by StaTiK »

Laura wrote:I rebalance my TSP holdings when I rebalancing my whole portfolio. I don't look at my TSP holdings independently of my other investments.

Laura
This, kind of. I rebalance my whole portfolio when it gets outside of acceptable bands but do so strictly through interfund transfers in my TSP. I consider my accounts and my wife's accounts as one large account and for now the TSP transfers give enough rudder steer to rebalance the whole shebang. What started as an L fund became a mix of funds mimicking the L fund, and is slowly transforming into F/G fund only as 401k and IRA balances affect the overall AA.

-StaTiK-
diasurfer

Post by diasurfer »

Quarterly. I finally learned to just leave it alone until the quarter rolled around. Most of TSP is in G fund, although new purchases are done according to AA (67/33 split). Once a quarter I shift most equities in TSP into G as part of rebalancing overall portfolio.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I voted "depends on bands". The TSP is just one part of my portfolio. I track my asset classes in excel and the TSP is just one line of a few.
Steve | Semper Fi
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I mainly use the TSP to rebalance my whole portfolio. I rebalance somewhat frequently (1% bands) because I fear a big market move just after I do a large rebalance.
GregV

Post by GregV »

I rebalance as part of my total retirement portfolio when the whole package is outside of my bands. TSP is ~50% of the portfolio value and I keep the total portfolio, and each of the two major parts (TSP and Brokerage IRAs), at my desired AA. My rationale is that I withdraw money from TSP first and do not want it skewed very differently from the overall AA...so that dictates I keep the other half at about the same AA as well.
emkute

Post by emkute »

red5 wrote:I'm with Victoria, Gordon and Blues.
me too
Every day is Saturday except for Sunday which comes around every now and then