Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
- Posts: 278
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm
$3.4 million is probably much more than most will have, let alone in a tax sheltered account. It is close to what I want to have when I retire, but half of my money will be in a taxable account.
- Posts: 2377
- Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 pm
- Location: NoCo
I'm retired now, with no earned income, hence no additional contributions to tax-deferred accounts. Given that 100% of my rollover IRA is invested in short and intermediate investment grade with Vanguard, plus a little in high yield, I don't have to worry about my IRA ever growing to as much as $3.4M prior to RMDs. After RMDs, I see no way the IRA will ever get close. Bottom line: I don't care whether the politicians impose this type of limit or not. It just doesn't mean much of anything in my life. Now, if the government were to go after my taxable portfolio, then that's a different matter.
- Posts: 308
- Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm
- Location: North Carolina
I think they should call this the Romney Rule (or no, you really can't hold those private equity investments in your IRA).
- Posts: 915
- Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm
swaption wrote:I think they should call this the Romney Rule (or no, you really can't hold those private equity investments in your IRA).
Well, before this non-actionable thread gets likely locked, I'm going to put a link to Self-Directed IRA's which are an interesting vehicle one can consider:
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am
$3.4m is about what we're hoping to have at retirement for 2 people.
- Posts: 598
- Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am
I guess it's canned tuna for me in retirement.
- Posts: 5269
- Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm
- Location: Portland, Oregon
gkaplan wrote:I guess it's canned tuna for me in retirement.
On the bright side, what yield on what amount of principal would you need to equal the value of your pension year in and year out?
Whenever I reflect on that I give thanks for the happy consequence of something I gave very little thought to back when I signed up.
(BTW, I like my tuna with oil, not packed in water.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:58 pm
This thread is off-topic and locked (proposed legislation, as described in the article). See: Forum Policy
UNACCEPTABLE TOPICSPolitics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
- Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
- Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
- Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
- Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 18438
- Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm
- Location: Philadelphia
Return to Investing - Theory, News & General
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: BC_Doc, Bing [Bot], boglenut, dhodson, FinancialDave, garlandwhizzer, packer16, Reb Tevye, retiredjg, RunningRad, Rupert, Tanelorn, tecmage and 77 guests