Aftershock

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Aftershock

Postby khalestorm » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am

khalestorm

Re: Aftershock

Postby momar » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

I don't.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
momar

Postby Johm221122 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

Turn off the noise
John
Johm221122

Postby Toons » Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 am

Yawn :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby Johm221122 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 am

khalestorm wrote:What do you guys think about this?
http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/vid ... de=110D8-1

Try this, it will help
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... philosophy
John
Johm221122

Postby khalestorm » Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 am

Scare tactics? I'm a newb...
khalestorm

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 am

LOL, they've been re-releasing that "news article" for a couple of years now. See it all the time on weather.com and some other sites. Just a sensational ad to try to sell a book.

The guy selling it obviously believes in the dollar enough to use his time and energy to try to take yours.
Last edited by zaboomafoozarg on Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaboomafoozarg

Postby The Wizard » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 am

There's always a fringe element predicting some sort of economic collapse along with a survivalist plan for coping with it.
This is probably a lockable thread, but I wasn't interested in watching that silly video...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby af895 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 am

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/ ... l-economy/

From the article:

Obviously, it’s easy to get distracted. And based on the questions I get, people are really distracted when it comes to money.

• Should I buy this stock?
  • What do you think the market will do?
  • Will Europe go down in flames?
  • Will the economy ever recover?

But what if instead of asking those questions, we asked just these questions:

• How much can I save?
  • How is my portfolio allocated?
  • Can I pick up some extra work this month?
  • Can I start a little business on the side?
af895

Postby Tom_T » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

I've read that book. According to the author, our entire economy is going to collapse, and hyperinflation is on the way. Sell all your assets. Sell your house (!), and rent instead. And buy gold. And subscribe to our service...
Tom_T

Postby larryswedroe » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

one of the WORST pieces I've ever read.

I often get asked to read books articles by our clients and to comment on them, so I read this one. Hard to imagine something worse than this crap--but just one man's opinion.
Larry
larryswedroe

Postby Random Musings » Thu May 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Hate to say it, but everyone has missed the boat on this one.

Y'all failed to focus on what program was really all about. It wasn't about the graphics, the dull spokeman or any of that other stuff. That was a diversion to fool the masses.

Pay close attention next time and focus on that coffee mug. What was it doing? Exactly what you should be doing. The mug was just standing there and doing nothing.

Sage advise from one simple coffee mug.

RM
Random Musings

Postby khalestorm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Random Musings wrote:
Sage advise from one simple coffee mug.

RM

;-) hahah, classic
khalestorm

Postby stevewolfe » Thu May 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Very good, nice one.
stevewolfe

Postby Taylor Larimore » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Read the PARTIAL AND FULL DISCLAIMERS carefully:

DISCLAIMER: THIS REPORT AND PUBLICATIONS DISCUSSED ARE INTENDED SOLELY FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES AND ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BY IMPLICATION OR OTHERWISE, AS AN OFFER TO SELL OR A SOLICITATION TO BUY OR SELL OR TRADE IN ANY COMMODITIES, SECURITIES, OR CURRENCIES HEREIN NAMED. INFORMATION IS OBTAINED FROM SOURCES BELIEVED TO BE RELIABLE, BUT IS IN NO WAY GUARANTEED.NO GUARANTEE OF ANY KIND IS IMPLIED OR POSSIBLE WHERE PROJECTIONS OF FUTURE CONDITIONS ARE ATTEMPTED. IN NO EVENT SHOULD THE CONTENT OF THIS REPORT BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED PROMISE, GUARANTEE OR IMPLICATION BY OR FROM THE SERVICES, NEWSMAX OR ANY OF ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES OR OTHER AGENTS THAT YOU WILL PROFIT OR THAT LOSSES CAN OR WILL BE LIMITED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER. SOME RECOMMENDED TRADES MAY INVOLVE SECURITIES HELD BY OUR OFFICERS, AFFILIATES, EDITORS, WRITERS OR EMPLOYEES, AND INVESTMENT DECISIONS MAY BE INCONSISTENT WITH OR EVEN CONTRADICTORY TO THE DISCUSSION OR RECOMMENDATION IN THE SERVICE.PAST RESULTS ARE NO INDICATION OF FUTURE PERFORMANCE. ALL INVESTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO RISK, WHICH SHOULD BE CONSIDERED PRIOR TO MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS. CONSULT YOUR PERSONAL INVESTMENT ADVISERS BEFORE MAKING AN INVESTMENT DECISION. THE AMOUNT OF SIGNED BOOKS REMAINING APPLIED TO THE ORIGINAL AIRING OF THE BROADCAST ONLY. FOR PRIVACY PROTECTION, ABBREVIATED OR FICTITIOUS NAMES WERE USED FOR SOME OF THE INDIVIDUALS IN THIS REPORT. WHILE THESE INDIVIDUALS HAD GREAT RESULTS, RESULTS ARE NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE. CERTAIN PRODUCTS IN THIS PRESENTATION ARE FREE WITH THE OFFER MADE ON OUR PRODUCT OFFER PAGE. THE OFFER MAY REQUIRE PAYMENT TO COVER SHIPPING AND HANDLING OR A SUBSCRIPTION TO ONE OF OUR NEWSLETTERS.
PLEASE VIEW OUR TERMS OF USE FOR FULL DISCLOSURE

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby rustymutt » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm

After watching the clip, this is nothing but a book marketing scam. Did you notice how quickly his answers came out. This was all setup in advance. I felt like I was watching a Kevin Trudeau infomercial.
At the Very Least, Work Hard, Do Your Best, Know the Truth and the Facts and Always Be Honest!
rustymutt

Postby nisiprius » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

1) Since Newsmax describes itself as "The #1 conservative news agency online," it is fair to say that it has a political slant.

2) Since Newsmax says that Newsmax Magazine is "the leading conservative publication in America," its accuracy is questionable--not because it is conservative, but because I think few conservatives would agree. Surely National Review, Human Events, or The Weekly Standard better deserve that title. Newsmax Magazine doesn't even make the top ten.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Every few months another of these "reports" pop up. They have predicted 150 of the last 5 recessions/depressions.
I believe this exact same propaganda popped up here a few weeks ago. Similar sites have also been pushing
their agenda and books/survival kits or whatever.

I would give him equal creditability with the guy who predicted the end of the world last year.
Guess what - you can get all his wisdom at the reduced rate of $97.00 -- what a deal (for him).

Some quotes from the video - 1 in 4 walking away from their home (prices are actually rising)
interest through the roof (actually down since he made the claim)

Here are earlier posts on this :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113756&p=1654633
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103845&p=1506906
Rob5TCP

Postby zaboomafoozarg » Thu May 09, 2013 6:12 pm

rustymutt wrote:I felt like I was watching a Kevin Trudeau infomercial.

Oh snap, I forgot all about that guy! He was such a weasel.
zaboomafoozarg

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 pm

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
rustymutt wrote:I felt like I was watching a Kevin Trudeau infomercial.

Oh snap, I forgot all about that guy! He was such a weasel.

Kevin Trudeau is now a member of the Illuminati - and you can join that network for $1,000 plus $150 per month.
Join this secret society and you too can be rich (or at least Kevin Trudeau can be)

Video says he fled the country to avoid prosecution.

[OT video link removed by admin LadyGeek]
Rob5TCP

Postby LadyGeek » Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 am

This thread is off-topic (not actionable) and locked. See: Forum Policy

UNACCEPTABLE TOPICS

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General