How many investments do you own? (clarification below)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

How many different funds, etfs, stocks, or bonds do you own?

No votes
3%
1%
1%
8%
5%
9%
9%
10%
4%
3%
2%
6%
5%
2%
2%
3%
2%
2%
19+
22%

Total votes : 172

Re: How many investments do you own? (clarification below)

Postby avalpert » Fri May 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Between multiple accounts (2 401ks, a 403b, and my own controlled investments) along with the result of tax-loss harvesting I count 17. But frankly, given how easy it is to use excel and automate my asset class balancing I don't really get the obsession with fewer funds for their own sake.
avalpert

Postby Macmungo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Seventeen, not counting bank accounts.
Macmungo

Postby grabiner » Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

I have a slice-and-dice allocation to 11 asset classes (US LG, US LV, US SG, US SV; developed large, EM large, developed small, EM small; US real estate, foreign real estate; bonds), so I need 11 funds to cover it.

I actually have 13 investment funds. I have three asset classes split across different accounts because of an old small TIAA-CREF plan and a small HSA, and because my taxable/tax-deferred split is in the middle of one fund in my allocation. Only one of those three is a duplicate of the same fund in different accounts.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Postby jginseattle » Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I own six.
jginseattle

Postby Sunny Sarkar » Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 pm

> How many investments do you own?

Retirement portfolio: 4
TSM
TISM
Intermediate Bond Index
TIPS fund

529 Plan: (not counted)
Fund of funds "portfolio" which is combination of above

Emergency funds: 1
Short Term Investment Grade

Bank accounts: (not counted)
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle
Sunny Sarkar

Postby Garco » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I hold 19 unique funds, all In 403b plans: RA, GRA, SRA, GSRA. Different funds are available in the different plans. The plans are administered by different fund families. It's not too many to watch, in fact makes things more interesting for someone like me who likes to slice and dice (though my largest equity holdings are index funds).
Garco

Postby crowd79 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 pm

401k: 9 funds (Nationwide-all with high ER's unfortunately)
Trad IRA: 3 funds (Vanguard)
Roth IRA : 1 fund (Schwab)
Taxable : 1 fund (Oakmark)

The above doesn't include savings, CDs, I and EE bonds.

So, I guess 14.
crowd79

Postby yogesh » Sun May 05, 2013 2:19 am

Currently 7
Planning for just 4 for 4 accounts

Taxable: VTMFX (.12)
401k: TR2040 (.10)
IRA: VWIAX (.18)
529: TR2025 (.25)
Emergency: I-Bonds | Retirement: TR Index 2040 | College: Age Index 2027 | Taxable: Tax-Exempt Balanced
yogesh

Postby jwillis77373 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:32 am

Far too many, for various reasons (at the time with limited choices) I made the best call I could. But this led to accumulating a little bit of everything.

If I could have any investment adviser in the world I think it would be Rick Ferri or Warren Buffet, but since my meager earnings don't qualify for either Rick's services (and Warren is currently busy) I find comfort in following Jack Bogle's advice whenever possible.

I would really like to consolidate and simplify -- but every time I start to.. it feels like market timing.

Other than the pure International plays -- I have few regrets. The HPQ was a stock option grant from a long time ago, but figuring out the best tax advantaged way to get out of it is difficult too.. even loosing 50% value would have led to a huge tax hit. Now the tax hit would be worse. I'm thinking hold until a period of unemployment.. but even predicting that can be at odds with maintaining employment. At some point I'll either use tax loss harvesting or bite the bullet. In fact may use getting out of International tax loss harvesting to get out of HPQ at the same time.

Ideally, I think I'd prefer 80 to 90 percent VTSAX(preferred choice in IRA)/FSTVX(only sane choice in 403b) and the rest in VFICS or VFIDX.

Over time I've just become so adverse to moving money under [any] circumstances. I have not even rebalanced, except by redirecting new money to bond or total stock market. I'd like to hope I have an employment horizon of 30 years ahead and plan to passively invest in the cheapest funds available all the way.

The two things I've learned is Jack is right, and the market will find a way to exploit any pool of money.. so Vanguard must be in the market crosshairs.. and something like a "derivatives" short against the total stock market funds must be waiting in the wings if not already in play.

New money goes according to whether its:

Taxable - into BRK "B" stock via sharebuilder
Non-taxable(retirement) - into VTSAX fund via vanguard (FSTVX via Fidelity for 403b, but it will be rolled as fast as possible when its time to move on)

VTSMX - vanguard total stock market investor fund
VMMXX - vanguard money market fund
DODBX - dodge and cox balanced fund
DODGX - dodge and cox stock fund
DODFX - dodge and cox international fund
DODWX - dodge and cox world fund
BRKB - berkshire hathaway "b" stock
HPQ - hewlett packard stock
VIPSX - vanguard inflation protected securities fund
VFINX - vanguard 500 investor shares fund
VTSAX - vanguard total stock market admiral shares fund
DODIX - dodge and cox income fund
FAIRX - fairholme fund
HOVLX - homestead value fund
FSTVX - fidelity total stock market advantaged fund

The one thing that has me concerned are the proposed "lifetime" limits to Roth savings in the recent budget proposals. I hope that they do not include retro-active savings.

And when asked about Warren's actuarial chances.. I consider the philosophical quote.. "In the long run we're all dead" and what Mr. Buffet has built in intrinsic value will not evaporate over night. For all the hype I think BRK is a boring stock which only gets a hyper inflated spring once a year in the Spring. But otherwise has always had to stand on its own merits. And will stand on its own merits long after he is gone.
jwillis77373

Postby bayview » Sun May 05, 2013 12:13 pm

jwillis77373 wrote:Far too many, for various reasons (at the time with limited choices) I made the best call I could. But this led to accumulating a little bit of everything...

You may have to edit your signature! :D

(j/k)
bayview

Postby noyopacific » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

jwillis77373 wrote:
If I could have any investment adviser in the world I think it would be Rick Ferri or Warren Buffet, but since my meager earnings don't qualify for either Rick's services (and Warren is currently busy) I find comfort in following Jack Bogle's advice whenever possible..

You can have Mr Buffet as your adviser, with the knowledge that your money is invested right alongside his. Today, it was about $111.00 per BRK.b share.
;-)

I counted 1774 investments (counting 19+ as 20) / 160 votes = 11.09
So eleven investments per vote appears to be about the mean.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
noyopacific

Postby jwillis77373 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm

bayview wrote:
jwillis77373 wrote:Far too many, for various reasons (at the time with limited choices) I made the best call I could. But this led to accumulating a little bit of everything...

You may have to edit your signature! :D

(j/k)

This is true.. but some are quite small.. on balance the signature is correct.
jwillis77373

Postby grabiner » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 pm

noyopacific wrote:I counted 1774 investments (counting 19+ as 20) / 160 votes = 11.09

I'm surprised to see so few with low numbers; I would expect that some investors have everything in target-date funds, which would be one for many investors (everything in Vanguard Target Retirement 2030), or at most three (husband's TSP in L-2030 fund, wife's 401(k) in T. Rowe Price Target Retirement 2030, both IRAs in Vanguard Target Retirement 2030).
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Postby jwillis77373 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 pm

noyopacific wrote:
jwillis77373 wrote:
If I could have any investment adviser in the world I think it would be Rick Ferri or Warren Buffet, but since my meager earnings don't qualify for either Rick's services (and Warren is currently busy) I find comfort in following Jack Bogle's advice whenever possible..

You can have Mr Buffet as your adviser, with the knowledge that your money is invested right alongside his. Today, it was about $111.00 per BRK.b share.
;-)

I counted 1774 investments (counting 19+ as 20) / 160 votes = 11.09

No offense to Mr. Buffet but I don't feel I know him as well as Rick, who I know only from these forums. I like Mr. Buffet for what he has done and stated in his investing principles.. especially his recommendations regarding index funds. There is something in alignment with his goal and an index funds goal of keeping costs low. However an index fund is objectively measured by how closely it tracks its index. How do you measure Mr. Buffet in between yearly meetings? the current stock price is a poor measure as its a reflection of the mood of the market.

So in a way I'm a bit of a control freak.. I can check how close the index fund tracks its index anytime. Mr. Buffet I have to check over a longer period of time. I'm just not that trusting. And in recent years he's proven he can be fooled, by people he has hired, by companies he has invested in. No one man is perfect. Fortunately his mistakes are covered by the relatively small moves he makes these days. He himself has stated, he couldn't make the same relative profits he has in the past, and will not be able to (you can look at that wisdom at least two ways, lack of opportunities, or modest self appraisal).

Its the value of the holdings then that's the real value today and moving forward. The illusion that its an actively managed fund.. or that is simply another stock.. is that.. an illusion (and also an advantage it scares peoples off.. its a moat.. and Buffet actively defends that moat against raiders).

For all intents its a mutual fund with a nice blend and dividends from the insurance side that are not paid out to investors but reinvested as new money. Therefore there's room for mistakes. Mr. Buffet is very smart, he doesn't bet the farm when he goes to Vegas and seems unlikely too.. many other managers feel compelled to take ever greater risks.. he does not feel that pressure. And a team of people would simply magnify the feelings of compellation (peer pressure from within, or competition from within) and the potential for taking too much risk.

You could say why not just hold the 500 then? Ahh.. but there is also Mr. Buffet's oversight.. he weeds the garden as well as adds to it in a metered and rational manner.. and takes advantage of situations.. bides his time and keeps his powder dry.

Now I could be talking myself into circles and be completely wrong.. odds are.. quite probable.. so to defend against myself.. I only hold BRK in taxable accounts.. and Vanguard funds in non-taxable retirement funds. And I have the rather diffuse scattering effect of collecting stock options, or gifts of stock from unlikely places.. to dilute my resolution further.

The conversation over BRK and whether to own more or less is not over in my mind.. its an ongoing dialog.. and I watch the conversation between other people with intense interest. In that way it is pure entertainment.
jwillis77373

Postby noyopacific » Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Hey jwillis77373,
For the record, I wasn't recommending that you buy Berkshire stock as much as suggesting how you might accomplish your stated wish to have Warren Buffet manage your investments.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
noyopacific

Previous

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General