Why Index Funds Get Better with Age

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Why Index Funds Get Better with Age

Postby Rick Ferri » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Index fund returns keep getting better the longer you hold them. This is because low-cost index funds give you more of the market’s return and because many actively-managed funds eventually close or merge. A combination of cost savings and longevity help index fund returns float to the top in peer rankings.

Index Fund Returns Get Better with Age

Rick Ferri
Mutual fund investing is simple. There is risk, there is return, and there are costs. All else is marketing.
Rick Ferri

Re: Why Index Funds Get Better with Age

Postby alexost » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:Index fund returns keep getting better the longer you hold them. This is because low-cost index funds give you more of the market’s return and because many actively-managed funds eventually close or merge. A combination of cost savings and longevity help index fund returns float to the top in peer rankings.

Index Fund Returns Get Better with Age

Rick Ferri

I would like to see figure 4 separate "closed" and "merged." Merging can (but not always) have have efficiencies that benefit the consumer. Am I missing something with lumping closed and merged into one category?

Thanks
alexost

Postby Rick Ferri » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:09 pm

A very high percentage of closed AND merged funds have had multi-year underperformance versus their peer group before they disappear. A fund is very often at the bottom of its peer group for quite some time before a fund company merges it out of existence.

Mark M. Carhart documented the performance of closed and merged funds in his timeless study On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance.

Rick Ferri
Mutual fund investing is simple. There is risk, there is return, and there are costs. All else is marketing.
Rick Ferri

Postby mickeyd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Index funds~ the gift that keeps on giving. :greedy
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby Rick Ferri » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for posting my article on the Bogleheads Guide Facebook page, Mel! :beer

Rick Ferri
Rick Ferri

Postby Mel Lindauer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:Thanks for posting my article on the Bogleheads Guide Facebook page, Mel! :beer

Rick Ferri

Great article showing why investors should use index funds in their portfolio to gain financial independence. I thought it should be read by every investor I could reach, Rick, so I also posted it on Morningstar and on Twitter.

Keep up the good work!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby Barry Barnitz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Rick Ferri wrote:Thanks for posting my article on the Bogleheads Guide Facebook page, Mel! :beer

Rick Ferri

Great article showing why investors should use index funds in their portfolio to gain financial independence. I thought it should be read by every investor I could reach, Rick, so I also posted it on Morningstar and on Twitter.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Mel:

Is this it: bogleheads?

regards
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby Mel Lindauer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Barry Barnitz wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Rick Ferri

Keep up the good work!

Hi Mel:

Is this it: bogleheads?

regards

No, Barry, that's some imposter. Here's a link to my page (Bogleheads Guide) https://www.facebook.com/bogleheads.guide
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General