Mutual Fund Directors: Asleep At The Wheel?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Mutual Fund Directors: Asleep At The Wheel?

Postby noyopacific » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

A June 2012 magazine article states reasons why author believes that:
"Mutual Fund Guardians (Boards of Directors) Are Failing" at their jobs.
http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/funds/ ... ab_article

Perhaps the author makes some points.
When he describes the minimal effort and qualification required to be a fund director as well as the excellent compensation they receive, I've got to say, so long as one isn't inclined to try to rock the boat, being a fund director sounds like a pretty good job to have.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
noyopacific

Re: Mutual Fund Directors: Asleep At The Wheel?

Postby mickeyd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Hasn't Bogle been railing about this for many years?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby noyopacific » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

mickeyd wrote:Hasn't Bogle been railing about this for many years?

I thought it was the major theme in his book: "Battle for the Soul of Capitalism." I have often wondered if Mr. Bogle was trying to warn Vanguard shareholders that we needed to demand higher regard and more transparency from the managers of our mutual funds. It surprises me a little that when it comes to the management of Vanguard Funds, Diehard-Bogleheads do not generally seem very concerned about Mr. Bogles advice or don't believe it applies.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
noyopacific

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 am

Note that the article is from June 2012. There is nothing actionable here (no definitive conclusion), so this thread is off-topic and locked. See: Forum Policy

UNACCEPTABLE TOPICS

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.

I also moved the thread into the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (investing news).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General