Attending National ETF Conference with Rick & Allan !!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Attending National ETF Conference with Rick & Allan !!

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Bogleheads:

Yesterday I drove the 20 miles from Miami to the 6th Annual ETF Conference for Financial Advisers in Hollywood, Florida, presented by Index Universe. I am not an adviser, and don't own any ETF's, but Rick Ferri managed to get me in during the last day of the three-day Conference.

The Conference was held at the huge and beautiful Weston Diplomat on the Atlantic Ocean. Temperature was in the low 80s with bathers swimming and sunning in the hotel pools and on the beach.

Vanguard is the primary sponsor of the Conference with a large booth in the best location. I was told that over 1200 advisers attended. Former Vanguard chairman, John Brennan was one of the featured speakers. Joel Dickson, Vanguard Senior Investment Strategist, and Ken Volpert, head of the Taxable Bond Group at Vanguard, were also speakers. Bogleheads Rick Ferri and Allan Roth, both respected authors and advisors, were featured on a panel of experts.

I missed Allan's panel from the previous day, but I was able to catch Rick's. Rick was one of three panelists (and by far the best). I was fortunate to be able to sit next to Allan in the huge auditorium as Rick deftly answered questions and told the audience about our Boglehead Forum. Rick graciously pointed me out to the audience as one of our many Boglehead Forum contributors.

A day I will always remember!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Attending National ETF Conference with Rick & Alan !!

Postby Rick Ferri » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm

We were the ones honored by YOUR visit, Taylor. All the Vanguard people at the conference knew who you were and were excited to meet Boglehead #1.

Rick Ferri
Mutual fund investing is simple. There is risk, there is return, and there are costs. All else is marketing.
Rick Ferri

Postby Edbald » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Taylor,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the conference. Keep up the good work.

Ed Baldrige
Edbald

A very nice second post.

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Edbald wrote:Taylor,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the conference. Keep up the good work.

Ed Baldrige

Ed:

This is your second post. Your first post was three years ago. I am honored.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby CABob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 pm

The Conference was held at the huge and beautiful Weston Diplomat on the Atlantic Ocean. Temperature was in the low 80s with bathers swimming and sunning in the hotel pools and on the beach.

Thanks for the post and information, but, this is just bragging considering the weather over most of the country. :annoyed :)
Bob | An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. -- Benjamin Franklin
CABob

Can't help myself.

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm

CABob wrote:

Thanks for the post and information, but, this is just bragging considering the weather over most of the country. :annoyed :)

Bob:

You're right. There was no need for me to add a smug comment about Florida "temperature."

Sometimes I can't help myself. :twisted:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby haban01 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:We were the ones honored by YOUR visit, Taylor. All the Vanguard people at the conference knew who you were and were excited to meet Boglehead #1.

Rick Ferri

I still remember Taylor inviting me over to have Breakfast with him and Pat at BH #3 in Chicago at the Hyatt. I will never forget Taylor describing how challenging the Bear Market had been for retirees. Meeting #1 was an amazing experience!!
Eric Haban | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless" | | Wisconsin Bogleheads Chapter Coordinator
haban01

Postby kenschmidt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Congrats! Sounds like an unforgettable experience!
kenschmidt

Postby baw703916 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:The Conference was held at the huge and beautiful Weston Diplomat on the Atlantic Ocean. Temperature was in the low 80s with bathers swimming and sunning in the hotel pools and on the beach.

Where is the ETF owners' swimming pool? ;)

Glad you enjoyed the conference, Taylor.

Best wishes,
Brad
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
baw703916

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General