Balanced Investing for a Balanced Life

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Balanced Investing for a Balanced Life

Postby Rick Ferri » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Here is a simple article about how people benefited by staying the coarse with a balanced portfolio during the financial crisis.

A Balanced Portfolio for a Balanced Life

Enjoy! (then pass it on).

Rick Ferri
Mutual fund investing is simple. There is risk, there is return, and there are costs. All else is marketing.
Rick Ferri

Re: Balanced Investing for a Balanced Life

Postby RadAudit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks for the link.
"Everything will be all right in the end. If everything is not all right, then it is not the end." - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
RadAudit

Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:Here is a simple article about how people benefited by staying the coarse with a balanced portfolio during the financial crisis.

A Balanced Portfolio for a Balanced Life

Enjoy! (then pass it on).

Rick Ferri

Was it that "rough" of a ride, Rick? :wink:
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Rick Ferri » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Nah. I sleep fine all the way through the crisis with 80% in equity. Did you?

Rick Ferri
Mutual fund investing is simple. There is risk, there is return, and there are costs. All else is marketing.
Rick Ferri

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Yep - I stayed the course at 70% equity, following the plan.
Grt2bOutdoors

Postby Rick Ferri » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I feel for people who capitulated during the crisis because they were hurt going both ways. First, they lost money by selling, and then they lost money by not buying.

One method I used to stop people from panic selling was to suggest a 10% decrease in their equity allocation. This made them think, "Am I really going to do this?" Most people who I put this recommendation to decided to leave their portfolio alone. They just wanted to know they had the ability to do something. There were a few people who lowered their allocation, which wasn't hard to do because the portfolio was already at the new allocation. We just didn't do a rebalancing. This had a soothing Affect. We didn't hear from them for the rest of the crisis.

And then there were the people who didn't call us. Instead, they sold everything out on their own in a panic. When we called them to find out what happened to their account (it didn't show on our download from the custodian), they said they just couldn't take it anymore and had to do something right then and there. I wish they would have called us before pulling the plug. But there was nothing we could do at that point. They were burnt toast - burnt on the way down and burnt on the way up.

Rick Ferri
Rick Ferri

Postby dharrythomas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Rick,

Thanks as always for the article. I read many more than I respond to.

Harry
dharrythomas

Postby livesoft » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

I would guess that fewer than 5% of investors "capitulated" during the crisis. Does anybody have any valid statistics for such behavior?
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 pm

livesoft wrote:I would guess that fewer than 5% of investors "capitulated" during the crisis. Does anybody have any valid statistics for such behavior?

Then I must know all 5% because I can't tell you how many phone calls I got from friends and relatives saying they were protecting what ever was left by bailing (that is the pc version of it).
Selling and going to cash - not rebalancing or reallocating into bond - cash!
Grt2bOutdoors

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General