Total Bond Index U.S. Government Holdings

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Total Bond Index U.S. Government Holdings

Postby whaleknives » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:33 pm

While working on my taxes, I noticed that Vanguard's U.S. government obligations information https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/usgo_2012.pdf shows the Total Bond Index percentage of assets invested in U.S. government obligations as of December 31, 2012 as 37.84%, while the Vanguard fund profile https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0584&FundIntExt=INT#tab=2 shows 68.5% as of December 31, 2012.

What's the reason for the difference in reported holdings?
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
whaleknives

Re: Total Bond Index U.S. Government Holdings

Postby SpringMan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

GNMA funds though backed by the Federal Government are still taxable by states. The first link is showing the portion of the funds that are exempt from state tax. The second link includes GNMAs plus treasuries so there is a discrepancy.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
SpringMan

Postby whaleknives » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Thank you, SpringMan.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
whaleknives

Postby stevewolfe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

I believe the second number includes government backed mortgages as well as government agency bonds.
stevewolfe

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General