Does this headline trouble you?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
allocator

Post by allocator »

From this afternoon's New York Times:

"Stocks Near New Heights as Small Investors Regain Faith"
mhc

Re: Does this headline trouble you?

Post by mhc »

No because my expectation is that stocks will go up.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
bkslainte

Post by bkslainte »

As a Boglehead, not really.

As someone who tries to look out for others who may not be as sophisticated/interested in investing, yes it does.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Most headlines about market activity attempt to connect two dots where no connection may exist. So I tend to ignore them. Half the time, the headline isn't even what the article is about. They would have been better off leaving small investors out of it.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

allocator wrote:From this afternoon's New York Times:

I think the conventional wisdom is that by the time the small investors come back to the market, they are late to the game.
All the more reason I keep to the passive index allocation path. If I was not in the retirement stage of life (as in no more accumulation) I might take a different tack; but I do not know what that would have been - sell, buy, hide, worry?
Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Topic Author
allocator

Post by allocator »

As an "Emerging Boglehead", I would like to think I am above such headlines. Alas, as there is still that part of me which has not quite made the transition, I did take note. Where I came out was here: the only things over which I have control are my risk exposure (asset allocation) and my capacity to follow through on my plan (rebalancing when I am out of my band). To that end I turned on some music and started dinner for the kids.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It wouldn't have worried me before, and it worries me even less after reading Rick Ferri's article, Mr. Market doesn't care what you think, discussed here.

What the headline tells us is just that stocks have been rising recently... and that public memory is short... and that, best of all, the 2009 bottom is now still close enough to three years ago that every stock fund is showing great three-year return numbers.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

Not at all - I hoping that we will hit new highs since that is about the top of my rebalancing band. :happy
Toons

Post by Toons »

Not at all,,,It is pretty much normal after a severe decline in stock market cycles.The "average investor" usually starts to buy in long after the biggest gains have been made since the bottom of the bear market.The S&P is up 126% since the March 2009 bottom of 667.00.Just a guess,but I'm thinking we might be somewhere between the confidence and enthusiasm stage this time around :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Todays WSJ commented that equities are at a five year high and the "chart" is getting ominous. I plan on selling the few stocks i have left and i wont look back. Taking a profit is called winning.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

I'll start getting concerned when there is a new reality show featuring day traders, and my local newspaper starts doing interviews of those with great (self reported) success stories.

There have been a lot of posts on Bogleheads lately about "getting back into the market", and a lot of hesitancy about actually pulling the trigger. It will be time to worry when we start seeing a lot of new posts saying, "I finally did it!"

Apparently human nature has not been repealed.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

No, because a good contrarian always sees another headline (CNBC.com):

"Why S&P 1,500 May Signal Stock Rally Has Peaked"
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

reggiesimpson wrote:Todays WSJ commented that equities are at a five year high and the "chart" is getting ominous. I plan on selling the few stocks i have left and i wont look back. Taking a profit is called winning.
My brother, who is a day trader for a company, told me he sold all of his personal US and international stock funds today. He is usually pretty on track. Reggie, if you sell all of your stocks, does that mean you will be 100% bonds? Not wishing to argue at all, but won't that mean locking in an inflation losing situation forever or are you planning to reenter the stock market?
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

Nahhhh. That faith will be fleeting as soon as things get interesting again. This never changes. :|
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

What's troubling - the headline itself or small investors buying high again? Whatever, I liked this last quote from the article: "But Russ Koesterich, the chief investment strategist at BlackRock, said that the current threats were “mundane” in comparison to what investors had faced over the last few years. “We’re not talking about big crises anymore,” Mr. Koesterich said.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

No - it gives me encouragement.

I launder my charitable giving through my taxable brokerage account when it makes sense - so gains are good. By donating you raise your cost basis for cap gains taxable purposes and give away unrealized gains rather than earnings while getting the full tax deduction as if it had been cash. Just initiated charitable transfer of a passle of stock today while the price was high. At the same time set up a transfer of cash back into the account to re-buy what I gave away.

And I started shorting the S&P 500 a week ago thinking it can't go much higher. Still waiting on that one, but I'm still hopeful for a Really Bad Day sometime in the next month or so. :happy I haven't been to Las Vegas since Labor Day, so this is all I got.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Calm Man wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Todays WSJ commented that equities are at a five year high and the "chart" is getting ominous. I plan on selling the few stocks i have left and i wont look back. Taking a profit is called winning.
My brother, who is a day trader for a company, told me he sold all of his personal US and international stock funds today. He is usually pretty on track. Reggie, if you sell all of your stocks, does that mean you will be 100% bonds? Not wishing to argue at all, but won't that mean locking in an inflation losing situation forever or are you planning to reenter the stock market.
No i dont plan on re entering into equities unless and when there is another large drop. I am up comfortably in my remaining stock holdings and will sell for a tidy profit
I have been largely in a bond ladder for decades with an eye to retirement living which is where i am presently at. I have no problem buying bonds as they provide a cash flow that i can use not only to live on but to reinvest the excess cash in whatever makes sense at the time. Typically more bonds. I realize this is not typical BH philosophy but i am in retirement and my earning years are over. I am far less concerned about inflation than i am about the distinct possibility of losing money at this stage of my life. If the market shoots up then so be it i dont care. I do not buy into the idea that one simply has to have equities in their portfolio. IMHO
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Not at all.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I just read a headline yesterday that mentioned stocks are the cheapest they've been in a generation.

This statement bothers me a bit as I think stocks are fairly valued today....which is far from being very cheap.

I do expect a moderate bear market this year or next which will make stocks cheap.
stratton

Post by stratton »

reggiesimpson wrote:My brother, who is a day trader for a company, told me he sold all of his personal US and international stock funds today.
You sure he doesn't close out all his positions on week ends?

A lot of stuff can happen over two days.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

not at all - love stocks, pouring in new cash because I heard a smart person on CNBC said valuations are at historic lows and we are entering a new secular bull market :wink:

ok, nevermind,...stay the course :)
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Did the same thing today. My last stock I owned went up 18% so I sold it all! No more stocks, all index funds. I'm officially a Boglehead. It feels great.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

stratton wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:My brother, who is a day trader for a company, told me he sold all of his personal US and international stock funds today.
You sure he doesn't close out all his positions on week ends?
He closes all his positions before each day ends, not only the week. He does very well at the day trading job -- again, it's not his money, it's the company's money. But in hi personal money he thinks the market is horribly set for a large multiyear fall. I hope he's wrong and I don't tell him I use a 2 fund portfolio.

A lot of stuff can happen over two days.

Paul
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Rammer wrote:
Did the same thing today. My last stock I owned went up 18% so I sold it all! No more stocks, all index funds. I'm officially a Boglehead. It feels great.
congratulations!
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

Yes, it troubles me. As soon as I read the headline, I thought, "OK, this is where all the foolish sell-low, buy-high investors jump in, only to have the market crash again, just to punish those fickle investors--again. And of course they'll bring me down with them."

Not that I'm going to do anything about it other than staying the course.

After reading Bernsteins "Four Pillars of Investing," I know that long-term stock prices will be want they will be, regardless of short term fluctuations, so I'm not worried.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Rammer wrote:
And you will still feel the same great way when the stock you sold soars another 18% on Monday, right? And still the same when it soars another 18 on Tuesday? :)
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Fallible wrote:
Rammer wrote:
And you will still feel the same great way when the stock you sold soars another 18% on Monday, right? And still the same when it soars another 18 on Tuesday? :)
Of course not. I'll probably kick myself and think what might have been.

But I still won't buy back in.
Naikansha

Post by Naikansha »

Toons: so many of the Times readers posting comments seem to be somewhere between the 'contempt' and 'doubt and suspicion' levels ( 'The market is rigged', 'I'm never going to put any money in the market', 'I keep my money under the mattress', 'I've taken everything out in 2008 and will never invest again' etc.) But there seem to be a few Bogelhead types at the 'confidence' level.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Naikansha wrote:Toons: so many of the Times readers posting comments seem to be somewhere between the 'contempt' and 'doubt and suspicion' levels ( 'The market is rigged', 'I'm never going to put any money in the market', 'I keep my money under the mattress', 'I've taken everything out in 2008 and will never invest again' etc.) But there seem to be a few Bogelhead types at the 'confidence' level.
:beer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

The headline implies that it is the small investors that are driving up stock prices.
But as I understand it, small investors make too small of a % of overall purchases of equities to have that kind of effect (perhaps a fraction of a %, but not the kind of growth in the last 2 months).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. (It could depend on what is meant by "small investor" & I'm interpreting that to mean individuals (not billionaires), not pension funds, etc.)
telemark

Post by telemark »

No. I'm content with my current asset allocation -- not perfect, but good enough -- and I already expect that the market will fluctuate unpredictably, because that's what it does.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

They nature of the market is to grow with time.

There's a lot of bumps along the way, but I think the past 12 years has really skewed the perspective of markets to most investors, thinking that "all time highs" mean that the market is somehow overvalued, simply because the past decade has not seen those highs hit frequently...

but, historically, the market hits "highs" very frequently, which is expected. if it didn't, the market wouldn't return 8-10% annually over 30 years.
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

lindisfarne wrote:The headline implies that it is the small investors that are driving up stock prices.
But as I understand it, small investors make too small of a % of overall purchases of equities to have that kind of effect (perhaps a fraction of a %, but not the kind of growth in the last 2 months).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. (It could depend on what is meant by "small investor" & I'm interpreting that to mean individuals (not billionaires), not pension funds, etc.)

This is largely true, and at last count retail investors were still fleeing stocks for "safer" assets.
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

Nope

If the headline was "you made money today" I would also not be troubled
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

It's really amazing, though, that so-called "small investors" regain faith only when the market makes new highs. There is probably a correction in the not too distant future, but this should not trouble long-term investors.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
MnD

Post by MnD »

Having sold in a fairly significant way on three occasions since the bottom to adhere to my AA through re-balancing I am less troubled by this headline.
No-one personally has told me lately that they are "getting in".
When that inevitably happens I'll grimace, wish them good luck with that and check my AA again to make sure I'm not overweight equity.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes, it concerns me because the investing public tends to act stupidly. They were wildly enthusiastic about stocks in the late 1990s as well and we know how that turned out.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Line the sheep up, they are getting ready to open the slaughter house.
Karl

Post by Karl »

midareff wrote:Line the sheep up, they are getting ready to open the slaughter house.
Wouldn't they be greedy pigs chasing returns, rather than sheep?
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

As Tim Buckley (CIO @ Vanguard) recently noted on a webcast ~"Avoid the short-term noise."
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
awval999

Post by awval999 »

MnD wrote:Having sold in a fairly significant way on three occasions since the bottom to adhere to my AA through re-balancing I am less troubled by this headline.
No-one personally has told me lately that they are "getting in".
When that inevitably happens I'll grimace, wish them good luck with that and check my AA again to make sure I'm not overweight equity.
I will say this. I randomly, in passing, mentioned stocks are approaching an all time high and I didn't get any chitter-chatter in the office. I even got a--- "yeah I still don't trust them". So I will say that the lay population is still uneasy. I wasn't around during the whole late 90's stock market frenzy but there is definitely no frenzy at the workplace.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Sometimes it's good to hang on and ride the wave.

Who knows? We might have another 5 years of "irrational exuberance". :sharebeer
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
MnD

Post by MnD »

awval999 wrote:I will say this. I randomly, in passing, mentioned stocks are approaching an all time high and I didn't get any chitter-chatter in the office. I even got a--- "yeah I still don't trust them". So I will say that the lay population is still uneasy. I wasn't around during the whole late 90's stock market frenzy but there is definitely no frenzy at the workplace.
I concur with this. The buy high sell low crowd aren't comfortable diving in quite yet.
I'll be curious when they do, what the equivalent will be to Janus Funds, Scudder Ultra and QQQ that will be touting. :mrgreen:
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

So, we're where we were five years ago. And...
The market goes up and down, just like it always has and always will; rallies and corrects - repeat.
One thing interesting, is that money just started leaving bond funds.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle