Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Post by Rick Ferri »

We all have our opinion, but a new study of AAII sediment shows that Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
baw703916

Re: Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Post by baw703916 »

Should I care what Mr. Market thinks?
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Rick Ferri wrote:We all have our opinion, but a new study of AAII sediment shows that Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Rick Ferri
"AAII sediment" :D Those individual investors that sink to the bottom??

Nice blog, but no surprise that a basically random market (with slight positive real expectations) would be largely uncorrelated with almost anything, much less to sentiment.

Thanks - Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
LondonJimmy

Post by LondonJimmy »

Of course Mr Market does not care about what you think or feel. Humans being humans generally get emotionally involved and thus create mistakes.

I was fortunate enough to be brought up from a very early age to understand this about the market. The market is merely quoting you prices. If you are shrewd and emotionally stable, you will feel good about when the market goes down. I genuinely feel good when I see prices fall and I feel more cautious as prices rise. This is the complete opposite from 99.9% of people and for this sole reason, this is why the vast vast vast majority of people would do better off investing in an index fund. However, if you can understand this and stay stable and not lose your head when people are panicking or being greedy, you will get rich.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

LondonJimmy wrote:Of course Mr Market does not care about what you think or feel. Humans being humans generally get emotionally involved and thus create mistakes.

I was fortunate enough to be brought up from a very early age to understand this about the market. The market is merely quoting you prices. If you are shrewd and emotionally stable, you will feel good about when the market goes down. I genuinely feel good when I see prices fall and I feel more cautious as prices rise. This is the complete opposite from 99.9% of people and for this sole reason, this is why the vast vast vast majority of people would do better off investing in an index fund. However, if you can understand this and stay stable and not lose your head when people are panicking or being greedy, you will get rich.
Depressed markets are good if you are young and have lots of accumulation ahead of you. Not so good for a retiree with a nest egg that's not large relative to projected consumption.
LondonJimmy

Post by LondonJimmy »

tadamsmar wrote:Depressed markets are good if you are young and have lots of accumulation ahead of you. Not so good for a retiree with a nest egg that's not large relative to projected consumption.

Yes, deff.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

From the article - "except when extreme bearish or bullish sentiment exists and then it’s negatively correlated"

Would be interesting to see if this held true for the bond market as well - Right now, there seems to be an extreme bearish sentiment in the bond market. Maybe time to load up?
steve r

Post by steve r »

Mr. Market doesnt care what I think ... nor do my teenage children.
"Owning the stock market over the long term is a winner's game. Attempting to beat the market is a loser's game. ..Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack." Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rick Ferri wrote:We all have our opinion, but a new study of AAII sediment shows that Mr. Market Doesn't Care What You Think!

Rick Ferri
Hi Rick,

This was a very good post that I really enjoyed reading.

Thank you for providing your expertise to this site.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Firewood42

Post by Firewood42 »

LondonJimmy wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:Depressed markets are good if you are young and have lots of accumulation ahead of you. Not so good for a retiree with a nest egg that's not large relative to projected consumption.

Yes, deff.
Exactly, 5 percent cd's would have taken all the worry out of my retirement but now I am faced with Mr. Market again. And he doesn't care.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Net extreme is >16 percent bearish and >32 percent bullish. AAII's latest survey conducted on 1/16/2013 was 43.9 percent bullish and 23.7 percent bearish resulting in net sediment indicator of 20.2 percent. It might be higher this week, but I doubt extreme.

Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Rick Ferri wrote: Net extreme is >16 percent bearish and >32 percent bullish. AAII's latest survey conducted on 1/16/2013 was 43.9 percent bullish and 23.7 percent bearish resulting in net sediment indicator of 20.2 percent. It might be higher this week, but I doubt extreme.

Rick Ferri
What we need is a survey on what people think of the AAII survey.

Then we could do a survey on what people think about the survey about the AAII survey.

Keith :P
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Net extreme is >16% bearish and >32% bullish.
AII's latest weekly survey conducted on 1/23/2013 was 52.3% bullish, up 8.4%, and 24.3% bearish, down 3.2%. The net sediment indicator is 28% bullish. That's getting close to extremely bullish, but not yet.

Rick Ferri
midareff

Post by midareff »

a contrarian indicator.... :twisted:
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Rick Ferri wrote:
Net extreme is >16% bearish and >32% bullish.
AII's latest weekly survey conducted on 1/23/2013 was 52.3% bullish, up 8.4%, and 24.3% bearish, down 3.2%. The net sediment indicator is 28% bullish. That's getting close to extremely bullish, but not yet.

Rick Ferri
A good technical analyst doesn't hang his hat on one indicator. :wink:

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Based in the above chart, AAII sentiment indicator looks like mostly co-incident indicator to me. This chart does not include this weeks updated number
Anon1234

Post by Anon1234 »

midareff wrote:a contrarian indicator.... :twisted:
Do they have a chart showing previous 1wk and 6mos return versus net sentiment? I suspect (aggregate) investor sentiment would be a better lagging indicator. Edit: Nevermind, that's the correlation chart. They did 1, 2 and 4 weeks, but didn't show 26.