Has anyone read Pound Foolish

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
stemikger

Has anyone read Pound Foolish

Post by stemikger »

I was wondering if anyone has read this book. It sounds interesting but I'm not sure it is worth investing my time.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
NYBoglehead

Re: Has anyone read Pound Foolish

Post by NYBoglehead »

Haven't read it but have seen several interviews with the author about it. There have been posts about it here, my opinion is that it isn't worth it. It seems to be an outline of how foolish we are to believe that any of the advice of the personal finance gurus is sound.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My take on it from the book reviews is that there's nothing new there for most BHs, but some more reinforcement for what we already know. I'll pass.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Here's a thought...take the $27.95 purchase price and invest it in Balanced Index, you will come out far ahead then if you had to buy the book.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JimB

Post by JimB »

I am about half way through it. So far, it seems to mostly be a rant about personal finance guru types. It also seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on the bad things that can happen to your savings and prevent you from having a good retirement. So far, nothing new or of significant value. I will finish it just because I want to see if there is anything constructive near the end.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

No, but I read the previous thread.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=108949
Topic Author
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Thanks. I'll check out the other thread.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!