Investing book trading?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Investing book trading?

Postby WHL » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:45 am

Hey all,

Hopefully this is in an acceptable forum. If not, my apologies, and please move it!

I always see you guys referring to, or recommending, books by various authors on investment topics. I frequently look for these books on Amazon, and find that they are $20+ each. Surely, you all must have lots of books that you have read and wouldn't mind trading for other books you haven't read. I do it with fiction paperbacks all the time...

So, I was wondering if there is a place I could go to that has a trade like this already taking place, or if not, would you guys like to get something like this started?

Thanks!
WHL

Re: Investing book trading?

Postby umfundi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 pm

I just buy my books at www.addall.com/used

If you want to be sure of getting a particular edition, get the ISBN at Amazon and search on that.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Default User BR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 pm

I utilized the public library for most of the books I read.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby Balance » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 pm

I agree with the above poster and utilize the library. There are very few books that I cannot find or put on hold at my local library. The only fee I have to pay is when I ask for a book to be transferred from one library to my local one. And that fee is normally only 50 cents.
Balance

Postby tfb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 am

WHL wrote:So, I was wondering if there is a place I could go to that has a trade like this already taking place, or if not, would you guys like to get something like this started?

Amazon already does that. You sell the books you don't want and use the proceeds to buy books you want.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
tfb

Postby bigb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 am

You should check out paperbackswap.com. You can list all your old unwanted books for others and make a list of the books you want. Anytime one your listed books is claimed you pay the shipping to send it to somebody and get a credit for somebody to send you a book.

Chase
bigb

Postby bogleblitz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 am

I am interested in borrowing ebooks, I think amazon allows you to lend/borrow ebooks to anyone. If anyone have a investment ebook I can borrow, please pm me. I have free time now during christmas breaks.

In return, the only ebook I can lend is the one that was free 1 week ago called "Late Bloomer Millionaires"
bogleblitz

Postby Default User BR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

bogleblitz wrote:I am interested in borrowing ebooks, I think amazon allows you to lend/borrow ebooks to anyone. If anyone have a investment ebook I can borrow, please pm me. I have free time now during christmas breaks.

Many public libraries have ebooks as well. I have never used them, so I don't know the details. Likely supported devices and formats vary by institution, and the selection will doubtlessly be limited.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby mickeyd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 pm

I've read that some libraries are willing to add a book if requested, though I've never requested one myself.

Sam I Am

Our local library system allows me to suggest a purchase on-line and, when they buy it, the system will send me an email advising that it has been added to the collection. I then reserve the book and ask that it be sent to my local branch for pick-up.

They usually seem to purchase the books that I recommend since they have such a weak personal finance selection and need to make additions.
Part-Owner of Texas

“The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby umfundi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm

From our local library calendar:

Date: 2/9/2013
Start Time: 10:00 AM
End Time: 11:30 AM
Description: Bring your nook, kindle, ipad or other device, and your questions, even your laptop. If you’ve tried and are having trouble, or if you’ve never done it before, Librarians Jean and Lindsay will work with you to help you with checking out and downloading ebooks from the library.

Just ask!

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Postby Default User BR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 pm

mickeyd wrote:
I've read that some libraries are willing to add a book if requested, though I've never requested one myself.

Our local library system allows me to suggest a purchase on-line and, when they buy it, the system will send me an email advising that it has been added to the collection. I then reserve the book and ask that it be sent to my local branch for pick-up.

They usually seem to purchase the books that I recommend since they have such a weak personal finance selection and need to make additions.

I have I high success rate with requests. My library even puts you first on the wait list for it if they decide to buy it.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby WHL » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 am

tfb wrote:
WHL wrote:So, I was wondering if there is a place I could go to that has a trade like this already taking place, or if not, would you guys like to get something like this started?

Amazon already does that. You sell the books you don't want and use the proceeds to buy books you want.

Yeah, that's obviously not what I had in mind. If I wanted to sell and buy books, I would do that. This was an attempt to get more education into this forum by spreading books around to those who want them.
WHL

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General