Pound Foolish: new financial book

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Pound Foolish: new financial book

Postby JMacDonald » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Here is a review of this new book in the NY Times by Helaine Olen: Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry
IT’S rare to come across a realistic and readable book about personal finance. Most are laden with rosy promises, followed by acronyms and turgid advice. Helaine Olen, a freelance journalist, offers an exception with “Pound Foolish: Exposing the Dark Side of the Personal Finance Industry” (Portfolio, $27.95). It’s a take-no-prisoners examination of the ways she says we have been scared, misled or bamboozled by those purporting to help us achieve financial security.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/busin ... ?src=busln

It sounds interesting. I wonder if she mentions Bogleheads.org as one of the sane places in the financial world.
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Re: Pound Foolish: new financial book

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Why spend $27.95 to find out about the Dark Side? Just come here or Marketwatch.com to see it exposed for free - pretty hard to beat that price.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General