NY Times article on investing over the past year

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

NY Times article on investing over the past year

Postby lloydbraun » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:05 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/your- ... wanted=all

For people in my age range (mid 30s), all that should matter is buy and hold.
lloydbraun

Re: NY Times article on investing over the past year

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 pm

I have to say that of all the NY Times financial columnists, I tend to be the most annoyed with Paul Sullivan. He writes about wealthy families and their investing. Often it's about hedge funds and advisors and things that folks around here frown upon. If folks around here followed most of the things in his pieces, they will end up poorer for doing so. But they will have more to talk about with their Westchester and Greenwich neighbors.

This article has nothing actionable in it, so it is very typical of Sullivan's work.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby lloydbraun » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm

I agree, I only shared it because of its relevance to some of the recent threads here. I'm actually a big fan of the NY Times's economic coverage, columns, and blogs but almost always ignore anything they have regarding investing or personal finance.
lloydbraun

Postby umfundi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 am

“The other problem with uncertainty is we’re worried about what other people are worried about. This creates a huge amount of uncertainty without a path.”
:oops:

I guess we need to be more certain about our uncertainty. :confused

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Postby Mrs.Feeley » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 am

umfundi wrote:
“The other problem with uncertainty is we’re worried about what other people are worried about. This creates a huge amount of uncertainty without a path.”
:oops:

I guess we need to be more certain about our uncertainty. :confused

Keith

Not at all! We just need a clear path. That's so certain I'm surprised anyone is uncertain.

Agree with all the above comments.
Mrs.Feeley

Postby peppers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:23 am

Insert Here: Donald Rumsfeld's "Unknown Unknowns"
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers

Postby nedsaid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

The investing climate is always uncertain. An informative chart shows the movement of the stock market since the 1920's.
The roaring 20's, the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Suez Canal crisis, the Vietnam War, stagflation, etc. etc. etc. You see the market having its dips but on an upward path.

Even though the emotions rage and the stomach turns you just have to invest anyway. There are always a lot of awful headlines in the papers and terrible events that occur. The mass media tends towards negativity and a lot of really good news gets little coverage.

Press on regardless.
A fool and his money are good for business.
nedsaid

Postby LazyNihilist » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm

peppers wrote:Insert Here: Donald Rumsfeld's "Unknown Unknowns"

I don't understand why that statement was ridiculed. I found that a very astute observation.
Unknown Unknowns are the greatest pitfalls in any field, business/politics/finance.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby peppers » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:57 pm

LazyNihilist wrote:

I don't understand why that statement was ridiculed. I found that a very astute observation.
Unknown Unknowns are the greatest pitfalls in any field, business/politics/finance.

I agree with you.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers

Postby umfundi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:29 pm

peppers wrote:
LazyNihilist wrote:

I agree with you.

I think the ridicule is directed at the financial journalists who will nonetheless continue to write articles about what they know they don't know.

Keith
umfundi

Postby Mrs.Feeley » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:01 pm

umfundi wrote:I think the ridicule is directed at the financial journalists who will nonetheless continue to write articles about what they know they don't know.
Keith

I don't know about anyone else here but I feel like I've gotten spoiled on Bogleheads. The comments and discussions here are so very intelligent and insightful that now when I read a typical article in the financial press I keep thinking it must have been written by a high school student who is just stringing along interesting quotes and doesn't actually know much about investing beyond what they overhear at Starbucks. That never happened before I started reading Bogleheads regularly.
Mrs.Feeley

Postby livesoft » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 pm

^Actually, I suspect that more than a few journalists read the forum and use the discussions as seeds for their own articles.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby umfundi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm

livesoft wrote:^Actually, I suspect that more than a few journalists read the forum and use the discussions as seeds for their own articles.

Reading Bogleheads gives them more of an edge than staying at Holiday Inn Express? :D

(For one thing, it's probably more frugal!)

Keith
umfundi

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General