The death of equities 2.0?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

The death of equities 2.0?

Postby umfundi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Two interesting articles that attempt to find a herd mentality among investors:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =168146046

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-2 ... tocks.html

It's enough to make me feel bullish!

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
umfundi

Re: The death of equities 2.0?

Postby baw703916 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 pm

There does seem to be an empirical periodicity of 34 years or so (for example both 1966 and 2000 were market highs that it took an extended period of time to surpass--in the case of 2000, it still hasn't happened permanently).

So 1979 (the date of the Death of Equities article) + 34 comes out to...next week! :D

Even if you aren't convinced by the 34 year cycle, you probably haven't heard anyone use the term "irrational exuberance" lately.
Last edited by baw703916 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
baw703916

Postby nisiprius » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:49 pm

The death of equities 1.0 was not herd mentality based on a crash. The full title of the famous article is "The Death of Equities: How inflation is destroying the stock market." It was a perfectly rational reaction to a 17-year-long period during which stocks failed to act as a hedge against inflation. In the words of the article,
Stocks were a reasonable hedge when inflation was low. But they proved helpless against the awesome inflation of the past decade. "People no longer think of stocks as an inflation hedge, and based on experience, that's a reasonable conclusion for them to have reached," says Richard Cohn, an associate professor of finance at the University of Illinois.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby telemark » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:53 pm

baw703916 wrote:Even if you aren't convinced by the 34 year cycle, you probably haven't hear anyone use the dors "irrational exuberance" lately.

Funny you should mention that. It just turned up here

http://money.msn.com/investing/welcome- ... ion?page=0

but they're talking about corporate bonds.
telemark

Postby baw703916 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm

nisiprius wrote:The death of equities 1.0 was not herd mentality based on a crash. The full title of the famous article is "The Death of Equities: How inflation is destroying the stock market." It was a perfectly rational reaction to a 17-year-long period during which stocks failed to act as a hedge against inflation. In the words of the article,
Stocks were a reasonable hedge when inflation was low. But they proved helpless against the awesome inflation of the past decade. "People no longer think of stocks as an inflation hedge, and based on experience, that's a reasonable conclusion for them to have reached," says Richard Cohn, an associate professor of finance at the University of Illinois.

I would claim that it is pretty much the same thing currently. inflation was much higher in the 1970s, but dividend yields were also considerably higher than they are now. The total real return in both cases has been negative. So how have stocks acted as a hedge against inflation these past 13 years? I'd say the primary difference between now and the 1970s isn't in equity markets, it's in bond markets and in real estate. Both of those are in a completely different situation than in the 70s (in opposite directions).
baw703916

Postby baw703916 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm

telemark wrote:Funny you should mention that. It just turned up here

http://money.msn.com/investing/welcome- ... ion?page=0

but they're talking about corporate bonds.

Interesting, thanks for mentioning it.
baw703916

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General