Too many or too few funds?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Too many or too few funds?

Postby EternalOptimist » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 pm

General question, roughly two-thirds of my retirement portfolio is with Vanguard funds and one-third with Fidelity. Is this OK or should I combine more, reallocate, other funds etc? I'm pretty satisfied :happy
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Re: Too many or too few funds?

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:27 pm

If you are pretty satisfied, can you ask your question a different way?
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby midareff » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 pm

I have tax advantaged and taxable with both although probably 90% is with VG. I like the 2% FIDO AMEX card which deposits cash direct into my investment account. It is probably a bit more work to track and review two monthly statements, store both, etc. Not a big deal either way. .. do what you are comfortable with, there is no right or wrong here.
midareff

Postby cheese_breath » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Nothing wrong with Vanguard or Fidelity in general. But you need to tell us which funds you have with them
The surest way to know the future is when it's the past.
cheese_breath

Postby EternalOptimist » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Guess what I'm asking is should I put all my eggs in one basket by taking Vanguard equivalent from Fidelity. Generally don't lie 'all eggs in one basket' concept. Like many people, I guess my funds contain a lot of 'dogs and cats' but I'm satisfied :D
"When nothing goes right....go left"
EternalOptimist

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 pm

EternalOptimist wrote:Guess what I'm asking is should I put all my eggs in one basket by taking Vanguard equivalent from Fidelity. Generally don't lie 'all eggs in one basket' concept. Like many people, I guess my funds contain a lot of 'dogs and cats' but I'm satisfied :D

If you're satisfied then so be it - nothing to worry about. The only reason why you'd want to move would be because you weren't satisfied with the current set-up and desired something a bit simpler. So long as you're not over-complicating the whole process then having two accounts really isn't a big deal. :beer
whiskeyfinance - personal finance for the poor: https://whiskeyfinance.wordpress.com/
RyeWhiskey

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General