New Vanguardfund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
lazyfabs

New Vanguardfund

Post by lazyfabs »

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... t-07242012

If one was using the short or limited term bond find in taxable in lieu of say cd ladder or similar, would this new short term tip fund be a good choice to use instead of say the limited or short term bond fund given what it invest in?
"I think the best way to find happiness is to stop looking so hard." - Kermit the Frog
mackstann

Re: New Vanguardfund

Post by mackstann »

If the point of TIPS is to act as a sort of insurance against unexpected inflation, then isn't it kind of weird to want short-term TIPS, when it's fairly unlikely that there would be significant unexpected inflation within a 2-3 year time horizon?

So would it essentially be like a short-term bond fund, except even more conservative (giving up some yield in exchange for inflation protection)?
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Thread already started this morning:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... ead#unread
Gordon
Topic Author
lazyfabs

Post by lazyfabs »

Thanks didn't see that.

Moderators can delete or lock if need be.
"I think the best way to find happiness is to stop looking so hard." - Kermit the Frog
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I locked it. Please post responses here: Short TIPS Index Fund
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.