How to add online only bank account to TreasuryDirect?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
desertgoose

How to add online only bank account to TreasuryDirect?

Post by desertgoose »

When I originally set up my TreasuryDirect account I added my Bank of America account as my primary bank account. I still have that account, but use Ally as my primary checking account given the interest rate and my lack of need for physical branch locations. I would like to add this account to my TD account. In order to do so you need to mail in a paper form, which must by signed and stamped or sealed by a "Certifying Officer" of the financial institution while you are in his/her presence. Given that Ally doesn't have any branches, how would I do this? Mailing in the form is off the table as you need to be in the presence of the Certifying Officer. Has anyone here successfully added an online only bank account to TD?

I know I could transfer the money to my BofA account and use that to fund it, but I would rather simplify things if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by desertgoose on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tetractys

Re: How to add online only bank account to TreasuryDirect?

Post by tetractys »

My guess is that you'll have to ask Ally Bank. But if I recall correctly, it's a signature guarantee you need, in which case you can get that somewhere else--doesn't have to come from any particular place. -- Tet
tfb

Post by tfb »

desertgoose wrote:Has anyone here successfully added an online only bank account to TD?
Yes, at the same time I created the TD account. Not sure about adding to an existing account. That need hasn't come up yet.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
cliffedelgado

Post by cliffedelgado »

I've done this before. You do not have to go to Ally to do this. Any place that offers a medallion signature will work.

For example, I went to a wells fargo branch and the branch manager has a medallion stamp. I added my ING account to treasury direct this way. You can call your BoA branch and ask if they have someone with the stamp. Not sure if they will charge you, but WF did it for free.
Malachi

Post by Malachi »

I just created an account with TD this week and connected it to my ING checking account, didn't require anything. Perhaps, like above, because it was a new account and my info matched the info with ING, I don't know.
saddle point

Post by saddle point »

Malachi wrote:I just created an account with TD this week and connected it to my ING checking account, didn't require anything. Perhaps, like above, because it was a new account and my info matched the info with ING, I don't know.
I created my TD account last Fall and didn't need to get a stamp. I changed banks to an online-only account and did need to get a stamp. I used a Fidelity branch.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I have added an online only account, but I was adding a brick-and-mortar account at the same time. On the form, or maybe separate (I don't remember), there is space to add another account, and for the additional account you do not need a certifying officer.

Maybe you could get BofA to sign the form (in effect, adding the same account again), and then put the Ally account as an additional account?
Sarah