Best spot for bond fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Tatupu

Best spot for bond fund

Post by Tatupu »

All --

I'm struggling with keeping up my bond allocation to maintain my desired overall asset allocation. 100% of my TSP contributions go into the G fund but it isn't enough to get me to the percentage I'd like to be at.

In addition to the TSP, new money regularly goes into a taxable account (mostly Total Stock Market and and an International fund), and an annual contribution to his/her Roth funds.

In order to increase my bond percentage, would I be better off exchanging some Total Stock Market from my Roth IRA or Rollover IRA into a bond fund, transferring funds from my stock holdings in the TSP to the G fund, or buying a bond fund in my taxable account?

Thanks,
Tatupu
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'd start by transferring stock holdings in TSP into the G fund. Your TSP could evolve to 100% G fund.

If that didn't get you to your desired percentage of fixed income, then I would use the rollover IRA for fixed income until it was 100% fixed income as well.

If that didn't get you to your desired percentage of fixed income, then I would use the Roth IRAs for fixed income until they were 100% fixed income as well.

If that didn't get you to your desired percentage of fixed income, then I would use the taxable account for fixed income as well. You would have to decide on munis or not depending on your tax situation.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.