Newbie seeking portfolio advice and have a few questions

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Brinkley

Newbie seeking portfolio advice and have a few questions

Post by Brinkley »

Dear Bogleheads -

I've been lurking here and now the courage to ask for portfolio advice and a few questions. Hope these questions will be in a “correct” order. Thank you for your advice.

Me:
Mid 30's
Tax Bracket: 28%
Expenses: Low, no debits
Goals: Retirement, Saving, Future play money
Risk Management: Moderate, long term outlook (10-25 years), and not wanting to actively manage

Current investments:
1.IRA, Goldman Sachs (I've left this alone and not contributing to this) = $3.8k
a. Core Fixed Income Fund A (Fund # 811)
b. GS Structured US Equity Class A (Fund # 817)
2.Roth IRA, Vanguard = $25k
a. Target Retirement 2025 (Fund # 0304)
3.401K = $73k
a. Employer match $0.5 upto 6%

Question 1a: I joined new employer and ready to roll over into new 401K. Looking for allocation advice. Some of the core fund options are below. I think I prefer FGOVX, FUSEX, FMCSX, and FIGRX.

Question 1b: Should I max my contribution to the 401k $16.5k limit?

Question 2a: I have an extra $10-20K available to invest for this year and for each following year.
I'm thinking of a few Vanguard Mutual Funds (VIVAX, VFINX, VTSMX, VIGRX, VEXMX, other?)

Looking for advice and how to be tax smart (did I do my investments backwards?)

Question 2b: Should I invest in 1 or 2 Admiral Shares now, or grow into them later by funding into several funds (Domestic Stock and Bond Index and Foreign Index Funds)?

List of 401K Funds follow;
1.Range of Fidelity Freedom Funds (FFFDX, FFTWX, FFFEX, etc.)
2.FGOVX
3.FBNDX
4.FTBFX
5.PHYAX
6.ALVIX
7.FEQIX
8.FUSEX
9.CRMMX
10.FMCSX
11.TEDMX
12.FICDX
13.FIGRX
14.RIMEX

Thanks again!
UT_AN

Post by UT_AN »

I am new don't have any financial advice, but I would recommend including the % of total portfolio next to each of your holdings to make it easier for someone to help you out.
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

Welcome,

You will get many more responses if you follow the format in this link. Hint: be sure to use fund names and expense ratios.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.