How quickly can you sell your funds in a Vanguard Roth IRA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Tabs

How quickly can you sell your funds in a Vanguard Roth IRA?

Post by Tabs »

This is just a hypothetical question, but how quickly can you sell your mutual funds in a Vanguard Roth IRA and withdraw the money? I am assuming that the money market funds would be fairly quickly? But how quickly? What about standard index funds and even target retirement funds?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I guess you could call up and have them wire you the money by the afternoon of the next day. This ignores any penalties and taxes that you might have to pay. It would not matter what fund you had.
tibbitts

next day

Post by tibbitts »

I'm thinking you should be able to get your money the next business day, the only exception being (I think) that for most funds (TR, etc.) VG reserves the right to limit or delay "large" exchanges or withdrawals. Luckily(?) that's something I should never have to worry about.

It might be that some of the usual options (wire transfers for example) can't be set up on IRA accounts. I'm not sure, but that should only delay things another day or so.

Paul
NYCPete

Re: How quickly can you sell your funds in a Vanguard Roth I

Post by NYCPete »

Tabs wrote:This is just a hypothetical question, but how quickly can you sell your mutual funds in a Vanguard Roth IRA and withdraw the money? I am assuming that the money market funds would be fairly quickly? But how quickly? What about standard index funds and even target retirement funds?
For what it's worth, someone recently posted about how they tried to get money out of Vanguard MM fund quickly. A good primer on managing your expectations of what "fast" actually turns out to be. Thankfully for them, it was all for the best.

Heartbreak at Vanguard

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
Topic Author
Tabs

Post by Tabs »

Thanks for the quick responses. I just want to re-emphasize that this is a hypothetical question I've been curious about, and that I figure you guys would know the answer. I don't actually intend to try this at home. :D