it it too late buying more stocks and bond ??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
looking

it it too late buying more stocks and bond ??

Post by looking »

Hi all

is it too late adding more new money into stock--valuation is high -too high??,so what do you do the newly gained cash --money market -0 interest rate.
then what about buying bond,- interest rate is going to rise soon so that is not very good either.

Maybe best bet is investing in Europe -their equity is cheap and maybe rising with the coming new QE so what do you think ??. may be buying the VANGUARD european stock index fund( veurx)
--is it timing market ?? long term investor should not worry about that kind of things just buy now then. ??? please give me some feedback or comments

best wishes
Choy

Re: it it too late buying more stocks and bond ??

Post by Choy »

never too late for long-term buy and hold!!!
ny_rn

Post by ny_rn »

Develop a workable plan
Invest early and often
Never bear too much or too little risk
Never try to time the market
Use index funds when possible
Keep costs low
Diversify
Minimize taxes
Keep it simple
Stay the course
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Yes it's too late. May as well give up now and disperse your forsaken money across the anonymous inter tubes... :oops:
I know nothing!
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

ny_rn wrote:Never try to time the market
It's hard to break this bad habit. After much procrastination and tip-toeing, I'm finally close to fully invested, although my cash position is still at 7.3%. I'm reasonably comfortable with my current AA which reflects a streamlined slice-and-dice approach to ETFs (i.e. a multiple-fund portfolio):

U.S. Large Cap equity: 26.8%
U.S. Small Cap equity: 6.7%
International equity: 24.1%
Fixed income: 35.1%
Cash: 7.3%

If I needed to invest 100% of the cash immediately, I'd put it into fixed income. This is because I'm a more cautious investor than in the past, partly being age 54 and partly some hard-to-shake ambivalence about the financial markets. Fixed income has its own set of market risks. Is there a downside that I'm overlooking to plopping the remaining cash allocation into SCHZ (Schwab accounts) and BND (PMA Wellstrade accounts)?
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

Seattlenative wrote:
It's hard to break this bad habit. After much procrastination and tip-toeing, I'm finally close to fully invested, although my cash position is still at 7.3%. I'm reasonably comfortable with my current AA which reflects a streamlined slice-and-dice approach to ETFs (i.e. a multiple-fund portfolio):

If I needed to invest 100% of the cash immediately, I'd put it into fixed income. This is because I'm a more cautious investor than in the past, partly being age 54 and partly some hard-to-shake ambivalence about the financial markets. Fixed income has its own set of market risks. Is there a downside that I'm overlooking to plopping the remaining cash allocation into SCHZ (Schwab accounts) and BND (PMA Wellstrade accounts)?

seattlenative
can you tell me the contend of the your fixed income
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

looking wrote:
Seattlenative wrote:

seattlenative
As a percentage of the entire pie, here's how the 35.1% is allocated (mostly at Schwab, partly at Wellstrade):

SCHO (short-term US Treasuries): 11.61%
SCHP (TIPS): 8.47%
SCHZ (Barclays aggregate bond market): 7.27%
SCHR (intermediate-term US Treasuries): 4.75%
VTIP (short-term TIPS): 1.79%
PHB (high-yield bonds): 0.52%
1-year CD maturing 06-15-15: 0.69%

I am comfortable keeping the existing TIPS positions, because SCHO/BND do not include TIPS. Having said that, there's no need to add more TIPS, they are pure inflation protection and the distribution yields are very minor. TIPS are currently an out-of-favor asset class, but that can change at any time - it might might be soon or might be years down the pike, but low inflation won't continue forever.

Keeping some short-term Treasury ETFs, as distinguished from aggregate bond ETFs, has a "comfortable" feeling even though yields are quite low. However, aggregate bond ETFs have significant amounts of intermediate Treasuries, so perhaps I should off SCHR and my tiny position in PHB and move those dollars into SCHZ or BND. When my small brokered CD at Schwab matures in June, I can also move its proceeds into an aggregate bond ETF as well. It has taken me a long time to become comfortable with the advantages as well as the risks of fixed-income ETFs, largely from reading messages here on Bogleheads.

Maybe I'm too skittish, but keeping a healthy fixed-income position does help me stay committed to keeping my "hands off" of my equity ETF positions, including the international holdings.

[Note: all of these assets are within IRAs; we have no real brokerage assets outside of IRAs, but we do have a six-month cash emergency fund in bank/CU deposits, which is excluded from this AA].
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

Seattlenative wrote:
looking wrote:
Seattlenative wrote:

seattlenative
As a percentage of the entire pie, here's how the 35.1% is allocated (mostly at Schwab, partly at Wellstrade):

SCHO (short-term US Treasuries): 11.61%
SCHP (TIPS): 8.47%
SCHZ (Barclays aggregate bond market): 7.27%
SCHR (intermediate-term US Treasuries): 4.75%
VTIP (short-term TIPS): 1.79%
PHB (high-yield bonds): 0.52%
1-year CD maturing 06-15-15: 0.69%

I am comfortable keeping the existing TIPS positions, because SCHO/BND do not include TIPS. Having said that, there's no need to add more TIPS, they are pure inflation protection and the distribution yields are very minor. TIPS are currently an out-of-favor asset class, but that can change at any time - it might might be soon or might be years down the pike, but low inflation won't continue forever.

Keeping some short-term Treasury ETFs, as distinguished from aggregate bond ETFs, has a "comfortable" feeling even though yields are quite low. However, aggregate bond ETFs have significant amounts of intermediate Treasuries, so perhaps I should off SCHR and my tiny position in PHB and move those dollars into SCHZ or BND. When my small brokered CD at Schwab matures in June, I can also move its proceeds into an aggregate bond ETF as well. It has taken me a long time to become comfortable with the advantages as well as the risks of fixed-income ETFs, largely from reading messages here on Bogleheads.

Maybe I'm too skittish, but keeping a healthy fixed-income position does help me stay committed to keeping my "hands off" of my equity ETF positions, including the international holdings.

[Note: all of these assets are within IRAs; we have no real brokerage assets outside of IRAs, but we do have a six-month cash emergency fund in bank/CU deposits, which is excluded from this AA].
very complicate for me yours- mins is all cash so i dont know which bods should i buy-- may be buying like;

most vangurd bond
vg short tem invest grade
intermideate invet grade
total bond domestic
total international bond
internationa govenment bond
some cash

any comments please

best wishes
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

looking wrote: very complicate for me yours- mins is all cash so i dont know which bods should i buy-- may be buying like;

most vangurd bond
intermideate invet grade
total bond domestic
total international bond
some cash

any comments please....best wishes
If we would simplify everything down to the Three Fund Portfolio model, you would use a single fixed-income ETF or mutual fund, an "aggregate bond fund", tracking an index of all U.S. investment grade bonds, including U.S. Treasury instruments, U.S.agency bonds, and investment-grade corporate bonds and notes. BND is the Vanguard aggregate-bond fund, and uses the Barclays U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Index. BND's ER is 0.08%, and can be purchased commission-free at Vanguard or TD Ameritrade.

Three equivalent ETFs sharing this investment objective, though using a slightly different index (Barclays U.S. Aggregate Index instead of the "float adjusted" index) are:

SCHX - Schwab aggregate-bond fund (commission-free for Schwab clients). ER is 0.06%.
AGG - iShares aggregate-bond fund (commission-free for Fidelity and TD Ameritrade clients). ER is 0.08%
LAG - SPDR aggregate-bond fund. ER is 0.10%.

P.S. The Three Fund portfolio at Vanguard consists of VTI, VXUS and BND. At Schwab, there's not an exact equivalent to VXUS, so you would substitute 3 Schwab ETFs (SCHF, SCHC and SCHE) for the VXUS portion (a Five Fund portfolio at Schwab).
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

ny_rn wrote:Develop a workable plan
Invest early and often
Never bear too much or too little risk
Never try to time the market
Use index funds when possible
Keep costs low
Diversify
Minimize taxes
Keep it simple
Stay the course
This answer is tough to beat.
Sents

Post by Sents »

I bought some stocks and bonds last week and this week, and I will continue to do so next month and every month thereafter for many decades to come.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. | L. Beethoven
Toons

Post by Toons »

The Dow was @5,000 in 1995.
It is a couple thousand away from a 4 fold increase.
20 years from now,,,Dow might be around 50k,,,,,or 25k,,,either way,
I would invest today :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

Seattlenative wrote:
looking wrote: very complicate for me yours- mins is all cash so i dont know which bods should i buy-- may be buying like;

most vangurd bond
intermideate invet grade
total bond domestic
total international bond
some cash

any comments please....best wishes
If we would simplify everything down to the Three Fund Portfolio model, you would use a single fixed-income ETF or mutual fund, an "aggregate bond fund", tracking an index of all U.S. investment grade bonds, including U.S. Treasury instruments, U.S.agency bonds, and investment-grade corporate bonds and notes. BND is the Vanguard aggregate-bond fund, and uses the Barclays U.S. Aggregate Float Adjusted Index. BND's ER is 0.08%, and can be purchased commission-free at Vanguard or TD Ameritrade.

Three equivalent ETFs sharing this investment objective, though using a slightly different index (Barclays U.S. Aggregate Index instead of the "float adjusted" index) are:

SCHX - Schwab aggregate-bond fund (commission-free for Schwab clients). ER is 0.06%.
AGG - iShares aggregate-bond fund (commission-free for Fidelity and TD Ameritrade clients). ER is 0.08%
LAG - SPDR aggregate-bond fund. ER is 0.10%.

P.S. The Three Fund portfolio at Vanguard consists of VTI, VXUS and BND. At Schwab, there's not an exact equivalent to VXUS, so you would substitute 3 Schwab ETFs (SCHF, SCHC and SCHE) for the VXUS portion (a Five Fund portfolio at Schwab).

settlenative
thnak you so much - seems you are very knowledgeble - i need some comments on my portfolios below" and bonds buying"
alll vg etfs/ no bond and only cash --70/30 AA that is why i need bond and need to reduce to 50/50 AA from 70/30.

ETFs
VEA VANGUARD FTSE DEVELOPED MKTS ETF
VUG VANGUARD GROWTH ETF
VHT VANGUARD HEALTH CARE ETF
VO VANGUARD MID CAP ETF
VOT VANGUARD MID CAP GROWTH ETF
VOE VANGUARD MID CAP VALUE ETF
VNQ VANGUARD REIT INDEX ETF
VOO VANGUARD S&P 500 INDEX ETF NEW
VTI VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET ETF
VTV VANGUARD VALUE ETF

best wishes
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

looking wrote:.seattlenative - thnak you so much - seems you are very knowledgeble - i need some comments on my portfolios below" and bonds buying"
alll vg etfs/ no bond and only cash --70/30 AA that is why i need bond and need to reduce to 50/50 AA from 70/30.

ETFs
VEA VANGUARD FTSE DEVELOPED MKTS ETF
VUG VANGUARD GROWTH ETF
VHT VANGUARD HEALTH CARE ETF
VO VANGUARD MID CAP ETF
VOT VANGUARD MID CAP GROWTH ETF
VOE VANGUARD MID CAP VALUE ETF
VNQ VANGUARD REIT INDEX ETF
VOO VANGUARD S&P 500 INDEX ETF NEW
VTI VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET ETF
VTV VANGUARD VALUE ETF
BND is part of the Boglehead three fund portfolio (VTI for domestic all-cap, VXUS for international all-cap, and BND for domestic fixed).
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

Seattlenative wrote:

settlenative

im very interested in your portfolis --can tell me the the asset calss,contends of your lagre cap and internationa compried of

best wishes

looking
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

looking,

I strongly suggest that you get some books from your public library, like Bogle's Common Sense on Mutual Funds, or Mike Piper's books, or Malkiel's Random Walk down Wall Street, or William Bernstein's. Also, strongly recommended, books about investing psychology, like

Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes and How to Correct Them: Lessons from the Life-Changing Science of Behavioral Economics by Belsky and Gilovich, and

Your Money and Your Brain: How the New Science of Neuroeconomics Can Help Make You Rich by Jason Zweig.
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

I had a lump sum of money equivalent to 10% of my portfolio become available last Thursday, and I invested according to my AA last Thursday. I am confident that 30 years from now I will be glad that I did so.

NightOwl
"Volatility provokes the constant dread that some investors know more than we do, making us fearful of ignoring such powerful price movements." | Peter Bernstein, "The 60/40 Solution."
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

looking wrote:Hi all

is it too late adding more new money into stock--valuation is high -too high??,so what do you do the newly gained cash --money market -0 interest rate.
then what about buying bond,- interest rate is going to rise soon so that is not very good either.

Maybe best bet is investing in Europe -their equity is cheap and maybe rising with the coming new QE so what do you think ??. may be buying the VANGUARD european stock index fund( veurx)
--is it timing market ?? long term investor should not worry about that kind of things just buy now then. ??? please give me some feedback or comments

best wishes

looking,
1.Your risk tolerance sounds low.
2. Your 75 years old.
Consider some CD's or a SPIA. Both will provide income with very little risk.
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

Bustoff wrote: looking,
1.Your risk tolerance sounds low.
2. Your 75 years old.
Consider some CD's or a SPIA. Both will provide income with very little risk.
Looking, I agree regarding Certificates of Deposit. You can look at APYs offered by Ally Bank and other online banks. You can also check APYs offered by small local or regional community banks, some of them will offer APYs very close to the online banks because they don't really obtain the massive deposit levels of the "megabanks" (BofA, Wells, Citibank, US Bank, Key Bank et al). You could also invest in a high-yield savings account, some of the APYs are close to 1%.

NOTE: Bank advertising emphasizes "APY" (annual percentage yield), not the "rate". APY reflects interest compounding over the course of one year, if you automatically reinvest the interest payments into the CD's principal. The "interest rate" is smaller than the APY because there is no compounding. A five year CD with an advertised 2.25% APY would typically pay a 2.23% rate if interest payments occurred monthly.