Bit the Bullet Selling Wellesley buying bonds and VTSAX

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Bit the Bullet Selling Wellesley buying bonds and VTSAX

Post by Professor Emeritus »

I just reorganized a big chunk of the "tax not paid yet" portfolio by selling half the Wellesley and buying VTSAX in Vanguard, and selling stocks and buying bonds in the TSP. (We treat all retirement assets as one portfolio and DW and I have half interests in everything)

This is all long term Money .

It is still amazing to move hundreds of thousands of dollars around with a few keystrokes
rakornacki1

Re: Bit the Bullet Selling Wellesley buying bonds and VTSAX

Post by rakornacki1 »

I concur in your amazement in being able to manage one's portfolio like this on vanguard.com. I continue to be impressed with the functionality, the efficiency and the security of being able to conduct transactions like this.
May I ask if anyone from VG actually contacted you afterwards, simply to confirm that you launched these large transactions?
Good luck.
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

rakornacki1 wrote:I concur in your amazement in being able to manage one's portfolio like this on vanguard.com. I continue to be impressed with the functionality, the efficiency and the security of being able to conduct transactions like this.
May I ask if anyone from VG actually contacted you afterwards, simply to confirm that you launched these large transactions?
Good luck.
I never had anyone call or email if transactions stayed within Vanguard and the same registrations. (they do email confirmations)
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

rakornacki1 wrote:May I ask if anyone from VG actually contacted you afterwards, simply to confirm that you launched these large transactions?
Nothing a personal Vanguard investor does is "large," unless you are Gates, Buffett or a Saudi prince with billions at Vanguard.

Reality check: United States intraday bank liquidity flows are $14 trillion dollars. Every day: Fourteen. Trillion. Don't take my word for it: the Federal Reserve Bank says so. libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2012/08/intraday-liquidity-flows.html. Vanguard assets under management: $2.96 trillion. Even a multi-million dollar movement out of one fund, and into another, is so inconsequentially small, it won't move the needle on anything. At all. It's standard, and no one is going to contact you over a six- or seven-figure trade. No one cares.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:
rakornacki1 wrote:May I ask if anyone from VG actually contacted you afterwards, simply to confirm that you launched these large transactions?
Nothing a personal Vanguard investor does is "large," unless you are Gates, Buffett or a Saudi prince with billions at Vanguard.

Reality check: At all. It's standard, and no one is going to contact you over a six- or seven-figure trade. No one cares.
Not so - if you fail to deliver funds to settle the trade, I assure you - you will be receiving a phone call, if you don't answer it, they might cancel the trade and could come after you for compensation if the market moves against the position. It's not so cut and dried, when you don't deliver the other half of the trade either buying or selling.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Not so - if you fail to deliver funds to settle the trade, I assure you - you will be receiving a phone call, if you don't answer it, they might cancel the trade and could come after you for compensation if the market moves against the position. It's not so cut and dried, when you don't deliver the other half of the trade either buying or selling.
But the original post was merely talking about rotating money from one account to another. As were my examples of funds flow, when you already have money in-hand, such as wire transfers or ACH settlements. This is quite separate and apart from buying something -- without having the money to pay for it, so even for a small sum, plainly there will be followup. But for funds already in hand? My statement stands. As I've commented previously, I own my own business, we have huge wires going in and out at times. Number of occasions the last seven years a bank or fund has called us concerning a seven-figure transaction after appropriate authorizations have been provided and money has been transferred: zero.