Suggestions for Portfolio Tracker

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JohnnyFive

Suggestions for Portfolio Tracker

Post by JohnnyFive »

Obviously, the preference is something that is free, but, I'm willing to pay a (hopefully modest) fee for something a bit more robust/comprehensive. I know sites like SigFig and some others offer free portfolio tracker. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.
livesoft

Re: Suggestions for Portfolio Tracker

Post by livesoft »

If you have a PC running Windows, then MS Money Sunset edition is a free download.

I enter all transactions manually (don't have many) and prices manually (don't have many positions so it's easy).
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
JohnnyFive

Post by JohnnyFive »

Would prefer something a bit more automated, if at all possible, but, will certainly look into that. Thanks so much for taking time to suggest something.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

One BIG advantage of non-automated trackers is that they kind of makes one not want to trade or update prices except for when significant things happen.

Morningstar has a portfolio tracker which I also use, but it has its own problems. I use it free via the TRowePrice web site after registering for free there.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Childay

Post by Childay »

Check out personal capital.. several threads on it if you search also.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

What eactly do you want it to do? I like personal capital to quickly track mu aa and total net worth. It only goes back in time a year, so if you want something more long term then you might consider paying for something else.
Sigfig is also free and worth a look.
MorniNgstar paid rx is good, but expensive.
I used to use quicken, also pretty nice

https://www.personalcapital.com/
https://www.sigfig.com/site/#/home
They want to sell u stuff, but just say no.
I read some positive things about this one, no personal experience.
http://www.icarra2.com/
Qucken clone:
http://moneydance.com/
Mike
Kaufmanrider

Post by Kaufmanrider »

I used this free spreadsheet before I went Lazy with my portfolio.

http://www.investmentmoats.com/stock-ma ... readsheet/
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I use Vangaurd, it allows me to enter outside accounts and I can see at a glance my total portfolio balance.

They had a program that would automatically sign in to retreive data from other accounts but have since done away with it except for those that are grandfathered. I didn't care to give all of my passwords to Vangaurd so I didn't enroll.

They will update your outside accounts balance based on change in price only. You have to manually enter in new purchases and dividend reinvestments.

It works well for me since the majority of my assets are with Vangaurd.

It offers enough information for me!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

livesoft wrote:One BIG advantage of non-automated trackers is that they kind of makes one not want to trade or update prices except for when significant things happen.
+1

I switched from an automated tracking system to a spreadsheet that I have to update manually. It was one of the best things I've done as an investor. It makes it hard for me to check the value of my holdings and this means that I spend less time watching my portfolio. I still watch the markets, but somehow it helps not knowing exactly how much money I have at any given point. Now I only check my portfolio balance and allocation when I think that I might need to rebalance or don't know where to send new money.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I like personal capital for this but many of the funds in my 401k do not have tickers and PC cant determine the allocation correctly. I made a request to have the ability to manually set the asset class but that is still in the works. There is a less fancy site that I also have tried called nextcapital.com. Does a good job with displaying the big picture and drilling down to a more granular level. I would give it a shot. You can also manually change the asset classes.
Gecko10x

Post by Gecko10x »

leonidas wrote:I like personal capital for this but many of the funds in my 401k do not have tickers and PC cant determine the allocation correctly. I made a request to have the ability to manually set the asset class but that is still in the works.
They just added this! I've been waiting for it for quite a while.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Gecko10x wrote: They just added this! I've been waiting for it for quite a while.
Thanks for the update! I just went in and changed the asset classes. Now the information is much more useful.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

I use a combination of Google Finance Portfolios to track my individual investment performance (everything is manually entered) and a custom spreadsheet to track overall portfolio asset allocation, net worth, etc.
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

I use Morningstar. Whenever I've had questions on its use, they've answered them promptly. I enter everything manually on Morningstar because I prefer to do it that way. I also use my Bank of America accounts online Investments Tool. They imported my accounts, (Vanguard and Ally Bank) and tract everything automatically. I've had more problems w/Bank of America's tool, i.e. updating the Ally Bank Acct. numbers for one. They have since taken care of the problems I've encountered.
Really don't need two, but use both anyway. Prefer Morningstar myself.
Regards,
Bill
jonbois

Post by jonbois »

Take a look at Investment account manger ( IAM) ..free trial download.. combines automation with manual updating.. just what you need to track multiple portfolios utilizing several brokerages.
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

+1 for the Morningstar tracker. I use it to track some virtual portfolios that I set up to try and show my parents the virtues of the indexed approach. I also set them up on SigFig, but M* seems to be more flexible with things like distributions and reinvestments.

For my own stuff, I put my outside stuff in the Vanguard portfolio tracker. I have to update the number of shares whenever there's a distribution, but hey, that gives me something to fiddle with on my portfolio that can't get me into any trouble. :mrgreen:

I also use the MS Money Sunset. Having the totals at the most recent transaction prices is accurate enough for my purposes. I don't need to track the daily uptick or downtick. I just need to glance at it occasionally and make sure it hasn't gone from six digits to five.

(Yes, it did that in 2008. Not that I did anything, but I got curious and looked.)
"But let's be glad for what we've had, and what's to come." | -- Betty Comden & Adolph Green